Busted! Chesty mermaid splashes debate

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
Talk about a bust.

A sculpture of a mermaid in South Florida is causing debate among the public, as the cups runneth over on the artwork.

At issue is "The Siren," a piece created by artist Norman Gitzen, now on display at the Wellington Community Center.

The mermaid will surface at next Tuesday's village council meeting, after a single phone call by an anonymous woman was received at the town's switchboard.

mermaidbust.jpg

"If they find her obscene, are they saying all large-breasted women are obscene?" Gitzen asked the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. "The world is full of large-breasted women."

Gitzen thinks he may have even been modest when creating the chest of the figure, and he's looking for an engineer to determine if the breasts are proportional to her 10-foot-tall, 6-foot-wide stature. Gitzen says such an analysis could find his work "underboobed."

Vice Mayor Lizbeth Benacquisto apparently has no problem with the mermaid, as she noticed it as a work in progress at the Wellington Art Society's annual Art Walk.

"Something about the piece sort of calls to you," she told the paper. "She's just so comfortable with herself and her form. It's just something very moving for me as a woman. The comfort of her with herself, I thought was great. And she's got a lot to be comfortable with."

[font=Palatino, Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Georgia, Times]http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=45632
[/font]

[font=Palatino, Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Georgia, Times]
[/font]

I am not having a problem with this at all. It is all interpretive as are mermaids. I have breasts and they fit my 5'5" inch frame. Women are glorious and if there is a someone who interprets them in a way that is respectful go for it vs. a strip joint that thinks all women are to be exploited. I like women, we are cool. :eek:

That mermaid reminds me of the siggy pic PaperDoll once had :)

I think the mermaid is cool. I guess if you are prim and proper you might not want your kids to see it... but I think people need to lighten up.

Casshew said:
That mermaid reminds me of the siggy pic PaperDoll once had :)

I think the mermaid is cool. I guess if you are prim and proper you might not want your kids to see it... but I think people need to lighten up.

I am really light right now.I love the idea of mermaids and paper dolls. I used to cut them out and have the best time along with my newborn baby dolls. Wasn't a Barbie fan but I loved the newborn babies and actually still do. I relish those little ones with all the hope and promise and the scooting along that gets them on their way. I love the parents that scoot them along and get them on the way and I love the way many of you love your children. I love the way you rally when you see a child in distress and I love the way you come to the aid of others that are in true distress. This is what hearts are all about. Didn't mean this to turn into a diatribe but for some reason I thought it a good place.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
galluvstrucrime
Back