1475 users online (253 members and 1222 guests)  

Websleuths News

NC - Burke Co., Skull found near Lake James, Mar'15 - Walter Shirey

http://www.morganton.com/news/police...8c7c7812a.html

Investigators have found nine human bones during a multiagency search near Lake James launched after local hunters discovered a human skull Monday morning. The bones were found near a small pond approximately 100 feet from where the skull was discovered, according to Burke County Sheriff Steve Whisenant. BCSO called in two divers to check the pond, but hadn’t gotten them in the water as of 3:55 p.m...

The Burke County medical examiner estimates the person died a matter of weeks ago, the sheriff added. Investigators don’t yet know the age of the person, or if the skull belonged to a man or a woman. The discovery site was roughly 100 yards from the Lake James dam on property belonging to Duke Energy, just a short distance away from a popular fishing area.

“The issue we’re dealing with is, there are coyotes here,” Whisenant said. “We’ve seen coyote tracks, so we know that the bones could be scattered in a wide range of area. Some of the conditions are very briary and thick. We’re making sure we don’t miss anything, so it’s going to be slow going for some of this area.”

Thank you, OkieGranny, for posting this news. I hope the person whose remains they found is soon known, especially to their loved ones. The details of the search and how thorough LE has been seem so impressive to me, all in gear and so many people involved, so quickly in place.

Evidently, the remains have only been there for weeks so it would have to be someone who went missing either late 2014 or this year. Makes me wonder if there was a report.

The Burke County medical examiner estimates the person died a matter of weeks ago, the sheriff added. Investigators don’t yet know the age of the person, or if the skull belonged to a man or a woman.

http://www.morganton.com/news/police...8c7c7812a.html
    Last edited by SeriouslySearching; 03-18-2015 at 09:52 AM.
    "WE SEEK FOR THE TRUTH. WE SEEK JUSTICE.
    THE COURTS REQUIRE IT. THE VICTIMS CRY FOR IT
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

A quote spray painted on the wall by search
    and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.

What I post are my opinions only.

I thought for a brief moment, before reading the medical examiner's comments, that it could be Heather Elvis, Myrtle Beach is only 4 hrs from there.... I know that seems far to some but if you wanted to hide a body, I would drive as far away from my house as possible to dispose of it.

Here's an item that briefly relates what had been found at the time (Mar. 18):

Tissue found near site where skull, bones discovered in NC county

...On Monday, searchers found a human skull and nine bones. One finger was found on Tuesday. ...
    more at: http://myfox8.com/2015/03/18/tissue-...-in-nc-county/

Also says authorities at the time were "investigating" a missing Burke County person to discover whether that person might be a match...

The remains have been identified...Walter Edward Shirey IV. Apparently he was living in a makeshift camp in the area, and hadn't been seen for a few weeks prior to the remains being found. He was from PA. LE still feels that the death is not foul play.

http://www.wcnc.com/story/news/local...park/25713629/

http://www.morganton.com/news/invest...160ec16d8.html
    Last edited by StarryNight; 04-14-2015 at 01:17 PM.

Rest in peace, Mr. Shirey.
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)