Sex: Female
Race: White
Height: 5'7" (170 cm)
Weight: 135 lbs (61 kg)
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Brown
Missing from: NOVI, Michigan, USA
Case Number: NCMC600451
Circumstances: Kellie was last seen at a mall at approximately 11:00 a.m. She has a capped front tooth. Foul play suspected.

Kellie Marie Brownlee
Missing since May 20, 1982 from Novi, Oakland County, Michigan.
Classification: Non-Family Abduction

Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: November 5, 1964
Age at Time of Disappearance: 17 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'7; 135 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; brown eyes.
Marks: She has double-pierced ears.
Dentals: Available. Brownlee's left front tooth is capped.
Clothing: She wore a long sleeved peach blouse, white painter pants and Nina brand burgundy high heels at the time of disappearance.

Circumstances of Disappearance:
Brownlee was last seen at the Twelve Oaks Mall in Bloomfield, MI around 11 AM on May 20, 1982. On the morning of May 20, 1982, Kellie and her boyfriend took the bus to school, but Kellie didn't attend class. At 9 a.m., she hitchhiked to Twelve Oaks Mall in Novi to apply for a job. At 11 a.m., Kellie ran into a friend's mom who offered Kellie a ride, but Kellie wanted to put in more applications before heading home. That was the last time anyone saw her.

Kellie was a "Wall 'Tuckian," the nickname for the big-haired girls in blue jeans, high heels and army jackets who hung around Walled Lake in the early 1980s. She listened to Ozzy Osbourne and smoked Marlboro Reds.

Kellie was staying with her boyfriend, Mark Graves, and his family in their apartment in Walled Lake, Michigan in May 1982. She had moved out of her family's West Bloomfield, Michigan home after telling friends that her stepfather, Paul Brownlee, abused her. Her friends stated that they had seen bruises on Kellie's body before she vanished. Paul had pleaded guilty to fourth-degree criminal sexual misconduct in 1977 when Kellie's older sister Kim filed charges against him. Kim then moved to California, where the girls' biological father resided. Kellie remained in Michigan, where she had a good relationship with their mother, Loretta. Kellie had occasionally moved out of the family's home after problems with Paul came to the forefront. Loretta stated that Kellie was planning to move back to West Bloomfield once Paul left the residence. Loretta did not divorce Paul until 1985, three years after Kellie disappeared, but there were apparently ongoing discussions about the plan at the time.

Graves reported that Kellie was missing when she did not return to his family's apartment or call him by 9:00 PM. A search was initiated soon after, but little evidence was located. Graves was ruled out as a suspect early on in the investigation. Speculation began to center around Paul Brownlee, who claimed that he was visiting his father-in-law's grave and going to the gym on the day Kellie disappeared. Paul also denied abusing Kellie in any way and maintained he had nothing to do with her disappearance.

Foul play is suspected in this case.

If you have any information concerning Brownlee's case, please contact:
West Bloomfield Police Department
810-682-1563
You may remain anonymous when submitting information. Agency Case Number:
82-6461 NCIC Number:
M-086153645
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information related to this case. Source Information:
Source Information: The National Center For Missing and Exploited Children

Link:
http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/60dfmi.html

Hi
They need to rule them out with DNA.I think they are a match.You should call the police in thier jurisdictions.

suzanne

There is a huge Dental school at U of M in Ann Arbor which is only about 30 miles from Detroit, so the fact that the UID victim had dental work consistent with work done by dental students is a very good reason to submit it.

Hi
I agree.You need to submit this to the police.

suzanne

suzannec4444 said:
Hi
I agree.You need to submit this to the police.
suzanne
I have forwarded it on for consideration. Will let everyone know if it pans out.

Hi
Where did you check?I really think they need to recheck this and rule out only with DNA.

suzanne

I am not a member, but I submitted it to doenetwork. They said it has already been ruled out through NCMEC.

Hi
Thankyou.That is thier panel.They are not the police.You really need to contact Law enforcement.Law enforcement is really who people should be contacting.As I said this really needs to be ruled out only through DNA.

suzanne

suzannec4444 said:
Hi
Thankyou.That is thier panel.They are not the police.You really need to contact Law enforcement.Law enforcement is really who people should be contacting.As I said this really needs to be ruled out only through DNA.
suzanne
I have sent this information to Law Enforcement Officials in Maryland and in Michigan, and have received confirmation that they have received it and are looking into it.

Hi
Richard,Can you please keep me updated on this.I have really followed up on these two as a possible match.

suzanne

suzannec4444 said:
Hi
Richard,Can you please keep me updated on this.I have really folloed up on these two as a possible match.
suzanne
I will definitely follow up on it, but from past experience realize that it will take some time for the authorities to gather necessary records and check things out. I have no personal knowledge of any previous attempts to match these two cases, although it is possible.

Other possible matches which have been submitted involving other cases have often taken weeks or months to resolve. There are various reasons for delays. Sometimes the wrong records are sent. Sometimes simply case workload and availability of experts, etc. Be patient...

Regarding a Maryland Medical Examiner comparison of Kellie Marie Brownlee's dental charts with the Frederick County Jane Doe (located in 1982):

Dental comparison of Kellie Brownlee was inconclusive, but a low probability.

In other words, Kellie was not ruled out, but a positive identification could not be made based on the dental records.

At this time, I do not have any further information regarding specifically what matched and what did not. I also do not know what plans (if any) the Maryland ME office might have to investigate this possible match further.

Here is some information on the Jane Doe being discussed. Check out the links to see a recent artist composite of her, and compare it with photos of Kellie Brownlee. Note that some "vital statistics" differ from one site to another. Also note that there is a separate thread on this forum for the Frederick County Jane Doe.

----------------------------------------
Unidentified White Female
The victim was discovered on August 24, 1982 in Frederick, Frederick County, Maryland
Estimated Date of Death: Spring 1982
Decomposed (skeletal) Remains
Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 17-25 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'2"-5'4"; 100-130 lbs..
Distinguishing Characteristics: Medium length brown hair.
Dentals: Available. The decedent had undergone extensive dental procedures, some of which are consistent with those performed by dental students. Including two crowns on left front teeth, a root canal and numerous fillings. She had one gold-filled tooth on the right upper side and several silver fillings.

Case History
The victim was located in a steamer trunk (footlocker) located just off a roadway in Gambrills State Park, in Frederick, Maryland on August 24, 1982. The trunk had leaves and sticks scattered over it but it was not hidden.

Investigators
If you have any information about this case please contact:
Frederick Police Department Lt. Tom Chase 301-694-2125

Agency Case Number: 1982-12633
NCMEC #: USMD82cr12633
NCIC Number: U-759825015
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.
Source Information:
Frederick News Post 1/83 & 9/82
Washington Post 1/03
nbc4.com News 5/11/05
NCMEC
The Doe Network: Case File 431UFMD

Links:
http://doenetwork.us/cases/431ufmd.html

http://www.nbc4.com/news/4477935/detail.html

http://www.missingkids.com/missingkids/servlet/PubCaseSearchServlet?act=viewChildDetail&caseNum=82cr12633&orgPrefix=USMD&seqNum=1&caseLang=en_US&searchLang=en_US

What does it take to reinvestigate something like this?

mere said:
What does it take to reinvestigate something like this?
As I understand it, the case is still open and the investigation is on-going. As to whether they will continue to pursue a possible match between Kellie and Frederick Jane Doe, only the investigators could say. She has not been ruled out, but as yet no positive match has been made.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back