OK - McKaya Ledford, 10, fatally shot by 12yo brother, Comanche, 19 March 2015

shadowraiths

LISK Liaison, Verified Forensic Psychology Special
Staff member
Reaction score
3202d77f.gif

A little girl's struggle to survive looks to be coming to an end as an OU Medical Center supervisor said tonight her organs will be donated. The Duncan Banner reports the 10-year-old was accidentally shot in the neck by her 12-year-old brother.

Much of the small Oklahoma town is in shock Thursday and cannot believe something like this could ever happen. Many residents we spoke with wanted to let the little girl's family know their thoughts and prayers are with them during this difficult time.

EYESR_zps1dff9e53.gif

link

A little girl's struggle to survive looks to be coming to an end as an OU Medical Center supervisor said tonight her organs will be donated. The Duncan Banner reports the 10-year-old was accidentally shot in the neck by her 12-year-old brother....link
sbm

http://www.texomashomepage.com/story/d/story/girl-10-dies-after-being-shot/14291/Te1JZc0TiECtD36OInCUzg. Mar 19

From above link, finding no info on where shooting occurred (home, backyard, barn, living room, etc.) or type or caliber of gun; or owner.
Maybe I missed it.​

Oh, this hurts my heart, as the mom of 10 and 12 year olds. I'm so sorry for that family.

sbm
From above link, finding no info on where shooting occurred (home, backyard, barn, living room, etc.) or type or caliber of gun; or owner.
Maybe I missed it.

I would assume it was a hunting rifle, article below states the brother was cleaning "his" gun when it discharged and hit the girl in the neck.

This situation is very different than the others involving toddlers or very young children that find weapons.

http://kfor.com/2015/03/19/boy-accidentally-shoots-his-sister-leaves-her-in-critical-condition/

I would assume it was a hunting rifle, article below states the brother was cleaning "his" gun when it discharged and hit the girl in the neck.

This situation is very different than the others involving toddlers or very young children that find weapons.

http://kfor.com/2015/03/19/boy-accidentally-shoots-his-sister-leaves-her-in-critical-condition/
Honestly, from reading the original posted link, I could not find any facts to tell what actually happened. It wad all feelings and personal anecdotes. Journalism is at an all-time low.

I would assume it was a hunting rifle, article below states the brother was cleaning "his" gun when it discharged and hit the girl in the neck....

Honestly, from reading the original posted link, I could not find any facts to tell what actually happened. It wad all feelings and personal anecdotes. Journalism is at an all-time low.

12 y/o boy was cleaning "his gun at the family home in Comanche OK when the gun went off, shooting the little girl in the neck."
As wendybtn^ noted, no other info.

Handgun, long gun? Caliber? Anyone one else in the room, in the home, or were kids alone? Actually boy's gun, or someone else's?

Nothing at all about whether crim charges are being considered (re who? boy, parents, other/gunowner?).
In some cases, officials speak to that - one way or another - within a day or two.

Wendybtn, I wonder if skimpy info in MSM is due more to LE keeping it close to the vest, which could be a good thing,
rather than reporters not trying to get more details.
Sad, sad, sad.

Handgun, long gun? Caliber? Anyone one else in the room, in the home, or were kids alone? Actually boy's gun, or someone else's?

I would assume a long gun. These were rural folks, it is not unusual for a 12 year old boy to have a .22 rifle or similar for target practice, hunting etc... A handgun would be highly inappropriate for a 12 year old.

The part about this happening as he was cleaning the gun seems a bit odd, especially if it was his gun. When cleaning firearms typically you lay all of your supplies out, then lay any firearms on a covered surface, then assume they may be loaded and empty/check each weapon before starting to clean it. Even when you are 100% it is unloaded if you plan to dry fire you point it somewhere safe.

They do not fire unless you pull the trigger. I would think it would be more likely if he was dry firing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Petoskey
Back