NY - 7 children from one family dead in Brooklyn fire

One of the children died at the scene, FDNY officials said. The others died as they were rushed to area hospitals with severe burns. The mother was taken to Jacobi Medical Center and her lone surviving child was taken to Staten Island University Hospital North with serious to critical injuries.

Witnesses say the mother screamed for someone to help rescue her children after she jumped from a window of the three-story home. http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...ured-brooklyn-blaze-officia-article-1.2157746

ETA apparently the mother was home.

Attachments

• stream_img.jpg
    stream_img.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 319
:( How very sad. So many lost.

A malfunctioning hot plate. :(

The article offers a possible explanation why someone would leave a hotplate on overnight - if they are Orthodox Jewish, as lighting fires is forbidden on the Sabbath.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/03/22/nyregion/7-children-die-in-brooklyn-fire.html?referrer=
What was it being used for besides cooking, a source of heat if left on overnight? I could understand using it only to heat food, but leaving it on is as dangerous as turning on a gas oven for heat.

Such an unnecessary, tragic loss.

:cry:

MOO

What was it being used for besides cooking, a source of heat if left on overnight? I could understand using it only to heat food, but leaving it on is as dangerous as turning on a gas oven for heat.

Such an unnecessary, tragic loss.

:cry:

MOO

If left on overnight they could use it to cook with the next day. They would not be able to actually turn it on on the Sabbath. HTH

If left on overnight they could use it to cook with the next day. They would not be able to actually turn it on on the Sabbath. HTH
Thank you for the additional information. It is truly sad that in keeping with their religious practices, seven innocent lives were lost.

MOO

"Electricity on Shabbat"
"Many Jews who strictly observe Shabbat (the Sabbath), especially within Orthodox Judaism, refrain from what is considered turning electricity on or off during Shabbat. They may also refrain from making adjustments to the intensity of electrical appliances. Various rabbinical authorities have pronounced on what is permitted and what is not, but there are many disagreements in detailed interpretation, both between different individual authorities and between branches of Judaism
."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electricity_on_Shabbat.

Much more in wiki about use of cooking appliances and thermostats for heat ---when permissible on Sabbath, when prohibited.

Thank you. They would have had to turn on the hotplate at sundown Friday night and leave it on until sundown Saturday evening. During Shabbot Orthodox Jews will not carry or use money, ride in an automobile, cook, etc. This is such a horrible tragedy.

In the Jewish faith burials are almost immediate, usually the next day, as they do not embalm nor are they cremated. There are exceptions of course. Joan Rivers was cremated as was Amy Winehouse. I would think services would be tomorrow.

"From sundown on Friday until sundown on Saturday, those who observe the Sabbath do not work, write, use electricity — or cook. If they want a hot meal during that time, they must prepare their food — often a popular stew called cholent — ahead of time and leave it warming overnight......they cannot alter the temperature of food, they cannot stir a stew, cover a pot or change the amount of water in it.

On Saturday, Lt. Bruce Silas of the Fire Department’s fire safety education unit manned a sidewalk table up the street from scene of the deadly blaze, passing out fire-safety literature and 9-volt batteries for smoke detectors. He said many people from the neighborhood had approached to ask him about the safety of using hot plates. (Sabbath rules, however, prohibited those who were observant from taking the literature or batteries until after sundown.)

I had no idea of the restrictions.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/22/n...-between-religion-and-public-safety.html?_r=0

I just wanted to add that because the mother and one daughter are in the hospital, burial services may be delayed. Also, the family of the father is in Israel and will need time to travel, so I have no idea when services will be held. Bless this family for the tragedy and strength at this time.

How very tragic.

Fire investigators found a smoke detector in the basement of the home. But none were found elsewhere in the house, Nigro said, adding, "To hear a smoke detector two floors below is asking a lot."

Smoke alarms work on holidays too.

I just wanted to add that because the mother and one daughter are in the hospital, burial services may be delayed. Also, the family of the father is in Israel and will need time to travel, so I have no idea when services will be held. Bless this family for the tragedy and strength at this time.

This is what NYP is saying, not sure if it's accurate as I've not seen anyone else also say it:

The funeral will be held Sunday or Monday, a source said, adding that the victims will be buried in Israel

http://nypost.com/2015/03/21/3-kids-killed-in-tragic-brooklyn-blaze/

This is saying they're tentatively set for Sunday (and it was updated at 2 am, so not sure if that means they don't have confirmation or if they didn't update the whole thing)

Funeral services are tentatively scheduled for Sunday at the Shomrei Hadas Chapels on 14th Ave.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...ured-brooklyn-blaze-officia-article-1.2157746

Such a sad story! And so sad they've really not even been back living here for all that long, having just moved back from Israel two years ago to move back into her childhood family home and be closer to her family.

All I can say is........crazy man-made 'rules' in the name of religion. *smh* It's also stated in various news articles that FDNY firefighters set up a table on the street and were passing out pamphlets about fire safety along with smoke detectors and 9 volt batteries - but again due to the Sabbath laws for Orthodox Jews, they're not able to carry anything on the Sabbath so most just passed by the table and took nothing.

All I can say is........crazy man-made 'rules' in the name of religion. *smh* It's also stated in various news articles that FDNY firefighters set up a table on the street and were passing out pamphlets about fire safety along with smoke detectors and 9 volt batteries - but again due to the Sabbath laws for Orthodox Jews, they're not able to carry anything on the Sabbath so most just passed by the table and took nothing.

After this I am sure many will buy their own smoke detectors if they don't already have them.

If it is common practice to leave stoves/burners on full blast all night it is amazing this doesn't happen more often, though one would think if they were worried about the possibilities of fire (and not just trusting that God will keep them safe) they would use timers to turn the power on/off automatically to dangerous appliances in addition to having smoke detectors.

Nothing is stopping them from doing it today and Monday, also.

Orthodox Jewish mother STILL doesn't know she lost seven of her eight children in Brooklyn house fire as she recovers in hospital - as plans move forward to bury them in Israel

A fire tore through a home in Brooklyn, New York a little after midnight early Saturday morning

The blaze killed seven siblings, ages 5 to 15, and critically injured their sister Tziporah, 14, and mother, Gayle Sassoon
The Sassoon's rabbi in Israel says a memorial service will be held in New York on Sunday before the bodies are flown to Jerusalem for burial

Father Gabriel Sassoon was at a religious retreat in Manhattan when the fire broke out

He told Israeli outlet Ynet: 'Where will I go now? I don't have anywhere to go anymore'

The blaze began in the kitchen, when a hot plate that was left on, likely to keep food warm during the Sabbath without using the oven

'This is the largest tragedy by fire that the city has had in seven years,' said New York Fire Department Commissioner Daniel Nigro

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...lans-forward-burial-Israel.html#ixzz3V8X0nonN

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back