A Gold Hill boy ended up with a juvenile court record after engaging in what he said was a simple display of youthful horseplay.
David Thumler, 15, said pinching and twisting the nipple of 13-year-old Matthew Cox cost him a trip to juvenile court July 20, where he was sentenced to three days of community service, a $67 fine and a misdemeanor record for harassment.

"I was messing around with someone I thought I knew," David said. "But I guess I should have known him better."

Thats exactly right, said Ken Chapman, a Jackson County juvenile probation supervisor.

Chapman said bullying is often involved in harassment cases. Declining to discuss the particulars of Davids case, Chapman said ORS 166.065 defines physical harassment as "offensive physical touching." That includes such adolescent assaults as "wet-willies," "wedgies," "swirlies," "noogies," Davids "titty-twister" and all other forms of adolescent "Three Stooges" behavior, Chapman said.

"They call this baby assault," Kellington said.

Kellington said Judge Patricia Crain sentenced David to the fine and community service on July 20. Because of the nature of the misdemeanor offense, David can request to have his record expunged when hes 18, said Kellington, who added the whole thing went too far.

"This whole thing seems so Orwellian," he said.

Chapman said most cases like this dont end up in court.

"They filter themselves out," he said. "Most kids dont report."