WA WA - Julie Weflen, 28, Spokane, 16 Sept 1987

littlereed

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Does anyone have any information or updates on this missing woman? Julie Weflen disappeared from a job site (Power company I believe) in Spokane, WA in 1987. She was 28 at the time. I cannot seem to find anything on this case but I've always remembered it. Any help would be appreciated. :confused:

One of Anne Rule's books featured Julie Weflen's case. I am not sure which book it was though. Sad story. I wish there was an update or at least more information on her case somewhere. I did a search and can't find any information on her except for what is on Ann Rule's website.

Same here. Then you have to go through all the guesbook entries and that gets to be too much. Maybe I'll have to go to the bookstore and just look at her books and see which one mentions Julie. My husband also has some contacts at the Spokane PD so maybe I can talk him into inquiring them. If I ever find anything out I'll post the information.

I just read about this sad case. It was in the book Kiss Me, Kill Me.

Myserty64 said:
I just read about this sad case. It was in the book Kiss Me, Kill Me.

I've read all of Ann Rule's books but can never remember which person goes with which book. Now I'll have to re-read that book ;)

I was just perusing Ann Rule's website and this is what she had to say about Julie:

"Most who read this book ask me if Julie Weflen or her remains have ever been found. I wish that I could say "yes," but the mystery of her tragic vanishing continues."

I wish Julie was at least listed on some missing person websites.

It's been 20 years since 28 year old Julie Weflen disappeared near Riverside State Park.

Weflen vanished while checking on a substation for Bonneville power, leaving just her work truck and hard hat and still no one has been charged with a crime.

Officers KREM 2 News spoke to were surprised to hear Weflen disappeared more than 2 decades ago but they have not given up on her case.

Spokane Police Major Crimes Detective Joe Peterson says his office is currently working 50-cold cases. Their most recent success was the arrest of a man who raped and murdered a Spokane woman 8-years ago.

The Spokane County Sheriff's Office is handling Weflen's case. The lead detective was out of the office today. His partner showed KREM 2 the evidence boxes they've worked on for 20-years; inside are pictures, witness statements, police reports, everything connected to her disappearance.

http://www.krem.com/news/local/stories/krem2_091707_weflen.e99159ac.html

Missing on the Job

Her truck's door hung open and a hard hat lay in the dirt, but the BPA worker was gone

Julie Weflen's disarming smile beamed from dozens of billboards in four states, from hundreds of thousands of posters and in national media after she went missing 20 years ago this month.
Those who knew the Deer Park woman, whose smile embodied a gentle spirit, have moved on.
Her mother died in Portland last year, never knowing what became of her daughter, who was 28 at the time of her disappearance.

More at link...

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/coldcase/stories/?id=212335

I was an employee of Bonneville Power Administration in Vancouver, Washington, and met Julie when she spent about a week training at our facility. I think that was a year or two before she disappeared. She was a wonderful, intelligent girl. She was a substation operator at a large federal substation near Spokane and did periodic maintenance work at small isolated substations in that region. My guess is that some freak was driving by when Julie pulled into the substation and decided to grab her. There were signs of a struggle. I believe poor Julie is buried somewhere in the vast desert of that area and the perpetrator will never be caught. Too much time has passed. Bonneville made some changes as a result of Julie's disappearance; operators do not go solo to these isolated stations, especially females. God Bless Julie.

I have never heard of the case until a month ago, from an Anne Rule book.

I did email Anne Rule, as she asks if anyone has any information to email her or LE.

It being at a substation, I wonder if they had a problem with copper theft in the area. If they did, I would look at arrests within a month +/- related to copper theft to see if 2 people were arrested together close to that area. They may have decided she was more beneficial to them than the copper.
Of course, it could have just been some random duo who happened to be around an isolated substation. IMO, that would be a little too random.

JUST checking in to see if there was anything new on Julie.

Here's a new article posted yesterday about Julie's disappearance.
It also contains a video report on her friend's continued search.

http://www.nwcn.com/home/?fId=121870824&fPath=/news/local&fDomain=10222
SPOKANE -- A 23-year-old cold case may have a second chance of getting solved. Electrical worker Julie Weflen went missing Northwest of Spokane in 1987. Now her friend is looking to close her case and end the uncertainty behind her disappearance

No arrests were made. But that could change more than two decades after the suspected crime was committed. The last known place anybody knew the whereabouts of Julie Weflen was at a power sub-station in Northwest Spokane. That is where she was working before she disappeared.

Reading one of the article's posted earlier in the thread, Julie's husband has since remarried. I just hope for him and her friends that they could find closure after all this time.

God,I remember when this happened I was living in Western Montana at the time but the only three TV stations we got were all from Spokane.
Ive never felt that her abductor happend upon her by accident I think it was someone who knew she would be at places like that alone.
Probably someone who had an unhealthy obsession.
Just a feeling though .
Ive always felt that Spokane has always had a disproportunate amount of malevolent weirdness like this going on considering its size.
Reminds me of Stephen King's 'Derry Maine'.

Could anyone outside of Bonneville power employees possibly have heard any radio dispatches about her going alone to the remote substation?

Many of those radios used to be unencrypted and you could listen if you had a scanner. So that is quite possible.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amberraff
Back