Deceased/Not Found SC - Jason Knapp, 20, Clemson, 12 April 1998

stormonster

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
April 12, 1998 from Clemson, South Carolina

You know I just surf around sometimes and the John Doe in this one actually bothered me so I thought I see if I could hit on anything close. Tell me what you think. Could Jason have been one of our over-achievers that just checked out for a little while and ended up in Mississippi?

Jason Knapp

John Doe

Has this been looked into? If that is not the same person, I don't know.

Don't you think they are extremely similar? I don't know if it's ever been check out but I ran across both these guys today.

they really do look similar...but the hair, eyes and blood types are different.

You are so right. I missed the "-" on the doe, I was going for the B. I thought about it over the evening and decided Jason's hair would have grown frizzy not long like the one in the hospital picture. And it probably wouldn't have had time.

Thanks for entertaining my ramblings.

They look really similar though- you're right. And the John Doe is somebody. Im gonna have a scout around and see what I can find.

Basically, Jason was last seen on April 11 at 10:30 PM by his roomate watching a movie. They became concerened when they hadn't heard from him for the next couple of days.

His car was found nine days later in the Table Rock State Park in SC. There was a Wendy's receipt in the car dated April 12 (easter sunday) at 1:30 PM. According to his bank account, he had also bought a six pack of Cokes and a bottle of juice and withdrew $20 from the ATM.

Now, I'm guessing he went out hiking in the Park, but it is strange that even though the park was searched extensively, no sign was found of him. I also find it weird that he didn't let anyone know he was going to the park.

I doubt he was depressed or suicidal, as he had just gotten into the Pershing Rifles, an elite military organization, just before his disappearance.

I wish they could organize one more large search effort. I'm sure he is there somewhere, and his poor mother needs some closure.

Recently added to the Doenetwork:

--------------------------
Jason Andrew Knapp
Missing since April 11, 1998 from Clemson, South Carolina
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: December 30, 1977
Age at Time of Disappearance: 20 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 6'0" (183 cm); 150 lbs (68 kg)

Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Light brown hair; blue eyes.
Marks, Scars: Faint scar on knuckle of middle finger of right hand.
Clothing: Blue jeans, white T-shirt, blue athletic shoes. Possibly wearing a watch.
Other: DNA available

Circumstances of Disappearance

Jason was last seen at his apartment in the vicinity of the 100 block of Calhoun Street. in Clemson, SC.
His vehicle was found at Table Rock State Park in Pickens, SC approximately 30 miles from his apartment.
Despite an extensive search of the park area, Jason has not been located.
Knapp was a Clemson sophomore when he vanished just days after his induction into Clemson's elite Pershing Rifles. He was a mechanical engineering major.

The day before he disappeared he and a friend had been looking for an apartment. That night he was at his apartment watching a movie. That's the last time his roommates saw him.

Receipts found in his locked car at the state park show that he went to a Wendy's and stopped at an Ingles store for a six-pack of soda and a container of fruit juice on that Easter Sunday in 1998. His fingerprints are on a park admission ticket showing he arrived between 3-5 p.m.
There is no evidence that he planned personal harm to himself. His personal rifle and some ammunition were found in the closet of his bedroom in the apartment untouched.

There is no evidence that he had planned to run away. According to an ATM receipt he had withdrawn only twenty (20) dollars from his bank account the day before his disappearance. Fifty (50) dollars in change was found in the console of his car. His checkbook was found in his apartment and contained a considerable amount of money, which had been untouched. His suitcase and, from what we can tell, all of his clothes and other personal belongings were still in the apartment.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Clemson City Police Department 862-624-2006

Agency Case Number: MP38980012
NCIC Number: M-115258619
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
National Center for Missing Adults
National Center for Missing & Exploited Children
Greenville Online
Doe Network

Several weeks ago, Deborah Boogher attended the funeral of Garrett S. Jay, the Bloomsburg University student who had been found dead after disappearing 10 months earlier.

Boogher, whose son has been missing for nearly nine years, had kept in touch with the Jay family of Dallastown since Garrett's disappearance. She said she talked with his father off and on and occasionally sent them "thinking of you" cards.

When Garrett Jay's remains were found last month in a heavily wooded area not far from the Bloomsburg campus, Boogher wanted to pay her respects to the family.

"I didn't stay for the service," she said. "It was too close to home."

It's been so many years since the disappearance of her own son, Jason Knapp, that Boogher said she doesn't have much hope that he's still alive. If he were, he would have called by now.

Boogher said she and her ex-husband, John Knapp, believe that their son was in the wrong place at the wrong time or was involved in an accident. This week marks the ninth anniversary of his disappearance.

The Clemson University student has been missing since April 12, 1998.

The parents plan to place bouquets of yellow flowers on the campus in honor of their son. John Knapp's flowers will be placed at a cannon. Boogher's will be placed on the military plaza.

Boogher, who usually makes an annual trek south for the anniversary, will be going next month so her husband, Barry Boogher, can go along to ask police questions. Boogher received a call last month from Clemson Police that authorities intended to transfer her son's case to the Pickens County Sheriff's Office.

http://www.ydr.com/dallastown/ci_5641060

After 10 years of waiting for news about her son's disappearance, Deborah Boogher said she does not get her hopes up every time she hears of a possible lead in the case.

Boogher's son, Jason Knapp, has been missing since April 12, 1998. The then-20-year-old Clemson University sophomore's car was found shortly after his disappearance at Table Rock State Park in Pickens County, S.C., which is about 30 miles from the school.

"I've learned to wait and let the police do what they need to do," she said. "Having been through that emotional roller coaster ... I've learned not to get too excited about every little tip that comes."

The latest possible lead in the case comes after the arrest of a man who Georgia authorities said abducted a woman on New Year's Day from a Georgia hiking trail and killed her four days later.

http://ydr.inyork.com/ci_8026966?source=rss

Thank you so much for posting this update. Wow - I never even thought about Jason when in regard to GMH. While I certainly do not wish for Jason to have been a victim of GMH, I do hope that his family finds the answers they are looking for.

http://greenvilleonline.com/news/2004/04/1...04041429278.htm

Mother of missing Clemson student keeps vigil

Posted Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 7:18 pm

By Anna Simon
CLEMSON BUREAU
asimon@greenvillenews.com

CLEMSON — Four billboards will go up next week with a picture of what missing Clemson University student Jason Knapp might look like today at the age of 26.

It's been six years since Jason Knapp parked his white 1990 Chevrolet Beretta in the first row of spaces facing the lake at Table Rock State Park on Easter Sunday and disappeared.

For six years his mother, Deborah Boogher, has kept hope alive of learning what happened that day. Her own grief spurred her to try to help other families missing loved ones as well and made her a frontline soldier in a fight to bring a message about safety to young people.

"I want young adults to be more aware of what's going on in the world. When you go out that door, tell someone where you are going and when you'll be back," Boogher said.

"I'm doing this so that another family never has to endure what we've had to endure. I want to make something positive come out of this."

Boogher, of Pennsylvania, returned to Clemson this week in what has become an annual ritual for this still-grieving mother on the anniversary of her son's disappearance.

She's meeting with police working on the case and with friends on the Clemson campus and spending time alone in thought on a park bench she dedicated to her son in the South Carolina Botanical Garden, where she left flowers Wednesday.

"There's always hope that I'll find him. The only thing that keeps me going is hoping," Boogher said.

Knapp was a Clemson sophomore when he vanished just days after his induction into Clemson's elite Pershing Rifles. He was a mechanical engineering major and a clean-cut young man. He was slim, trim and had an All-American smile.

The day before he disappeared he and a friend had been looking for an apartment. That night he was at his apartment watching a movie. That's the last time his roommates saw him.

Receipts found in his locked car at the state park show that he went to a Wendy's and stopped at an Ingles store for a six-pack of soda and a container of fruit juice on that Easter Sunday in 1998. His fingerprints are on a park admission ticket showing he arrived between 3-5 p.m.

The missing person case file on Knapp gets bigger every year with notations of ongoing activity. For example, anytime a body is found, information is sent to see if there's a match. But no new information has been found, said Capt. Karry Walker of the Clemson Police Department.

Investigators review the case and have re-interviewed friends to see if anyone recalls anything that may help out, and Walker and Boogher have tried to get national media attention.

"This is probably the toughest case you ever get because you have nothing," Walker said. "Table Rock is a place a lot of people from other places come. We don't know if somebody from out of state saw something or saw him.

"If Jason had disappeared today it would be national news, I think. You hear about missing college students. Six years later, we're trying to get this story out. He just left without a trace."

DNA from both of Knapp's parents is stored at the State Law Enforcement Division's Combined DNA Index System to be compared against any potential clues.

"It's something I pray about every day, that we'll find something, that someone will call," Walker said. "I have a child of my own and I can only imagine what she's going through. It's one case I take home with me. I'm always trying to think of other investigative ways to find out what happened."

Anyone with information can call Walker at the Clemson Police Department at (864) 624-2000.

ajc.com > Metro > Gwinnett
Hiker suspect probed for missing Clemson U. student

By JEFFRY SCOTT
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 01/18/08
A Clemson University student who went missing in April 1998 and whose 1990 Chevy Beretta was found abandoned 10 days later at Table Rock State Park in Pickens, S.C., is the latest unsolved missing person case investigators are studying for potential connections to accused killer Gary Michael Hilton.

"We're working with Georgia authorities to see if we can establish a timeline that puts Hilton in the area at the time of Jason Knapp's disappearance," Pickens County Sheriff Tim Morgan said on Friday. "Presently, we know there are a couple more Hilton cases pressing, in North Carolina and Florida, but we're in the mix. Anytime there is a case like this, we check to see if we can establish a connection."

The park was searched extensively after Knapp, a 20 year-old sophomore, disappeared on Easter Sunday 1998. Knapp's fingerprints were found on a park admission ticket showing he arrived at Table Rock, about 30 miles from his residence in Clemson, between 3 p.m. and 5 p.m. Receipts were found in his locked car that showed he went to a McDonald's earlier in the day.

Knapp's mother, Deborah Boogher, of York, Pa., said Friday she has not been following the Hilton case and only heard about it when an investigator from the Pickens County Sheriff's office sent her an e-mail last week saying there may be a connection between Emerson's accused killer and her son.

"I thought, 'Oh my God, I hope he [Hilton] was nowhere near where my son was," Boogher said.

Since her son's disappearance, Boogher said she has made yearly trips to Table Rock in his memory. "But I can't dwell on the negativity of what might have happened," she said. "I like to think he was in the wrong place at the wrong time, or he had an accident."

Morgan said investigators began looking into the connection last week when Hilton, 61, was charged in the New Year's Day abduction and Jan. 4 murder of Buford hiker Meredith Emerson, 24. .

Morgan said Pickens investigators, the GBI and the FBI have not been able to place Hilton in the Pickens County area at the time of Knapp's disappearance. Hilton has already been linked to cases in two other states:

• Florida investigators say they have tied Hilton to the disappearance and death of Crawfordville, Fla., school teacher, Cheryl Dunlap, 46, who was last seen on Dec. 1 and whose body was found two weeks later in Apalachicola National Forest, near Tallahassee. Florida 2nd Judicial Circuit District Attorney William Meggs said last week he had enough evidence to bring charges against Hilton in the Dunlap case but there was no hurry because Hilton is already in custody, in Dawson County jail.

• North Carolina investigators said this week they have a "positive link" between Hilton and the Oct. 21 disappearance and deaths of an elderly couple in Pisgah National Forest. The body of Irene Bryant, 84, was found on Nov. 9; authorities presume her husband John, 79, is dead. His body has not been found.

North Carolina officials also confirmed this week they are looking for links between Hilton and the December 2005 disappearance of Florida woman Rossana Miliani, 26, who went missing shortly after telling her family she was going hiking in Bryson City, N.C.

Jennifer Canada, a spokeswoman for the North Carolina Department of Justice, said this week, "I can confirm that the State Bureau of Investigation is considering the possibility of a connection" between Hilton and the Miliani case.

http://ajc.printthis.clickability.com/pt/c...l&partnerID=557

http://beautifulpoems.tripod.com/helpusfindjasonknapp/

This young man was from my area, and had the same name as one of my high school classmates. When he disappeared the year after I graduated and I heard about it, at first I thought it was the guy that I knew. Weird. He went to a park, his car was found, and no one has seen or heard from him since.

While I am unfamiliar with this case, I was able to find a little more information about him here

what a handsome young man. I hate those little profiles though, they raise more questions than they answer.

Great profile on Jason, Meg... but I really hate so-called psychics... the pain they cause these families is unforgivable.

Officials in Pickens County, S.C., are waiting until North Carolina completes its investigation of Hilton before pursuing him as a possible suspect in the abduction of Clemson University student Jason Knapp, last seen on Easter 10 years ago. Investigators said Knapp's fingerprints were on a ticket admitting him to Table Rock State Park.

http://www.ajc.com/services/content/printedition/2008/03/02/profiler03021.html

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lee k