760 users online (108 members and 652 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

FL - Betsey Stephens, 3 wks, starved to death, Lakeland, 23 Dec 2014

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/ne...#__federated=1

A baby who was found dead in her car seat in a Florida restaurant parking lot had lost more than one-third of her body weight in the 22 days since she was born, a medical examiner testified Friday.

Betsey Kee Stephens died as a result of malnutrition and starvation, said Dr. Vera Volnikh, Polk County’s assistant medical examiner. “When we examined her stomach, small intestine and large intestine, all of them were empty,” Volnikh said. “There was no fat tissue on this baby.”
    http://www.theledger.com/article/201...NEWS/150119537

Roy and Ruby Stephens, 48 and 23, respectively, are both facing charges of first-degree murder, aggravated child abuse and aggravated manslaughter of a child in the death of Betsy Kee Stephens on Dec. 23...

The family took a trip from Tennyson, IN, to visit family in the Lakeland, FL, area and arrived Dec. 23, reports state. The family went to Golden Corral on U.S. 98 North, and Ruby Stephens pulled Betsy out of the car to find she was cold to the touch and unresponsive.
    http://www.theledger.com/article/201...news/150219630

Prosecutors will seek the death penalty for a couple accused in the starvation death of a 22-day-old baby...

The couple, who traveled to Lakeland from Tennyson, Ind., have two children together, but Roy Stephens was not Betsey's biological father. "The obvious infidelity and subsequent pregnancy created a strain on the marriage, which affected (Roy's) demeanor toward (Betsey) and (Ruby)," according to a Lakeland police arrest report.

I have no words.

Oh that sweet baby girl. She only knew the pangs of hunger her entire little life. Where were the other children when this baby died - were they all 3 in car seats in the backseat?
    Proud member of the AFKBPOFPOPL

http://wtvr.com/2015/01/01/parents-a...golden-corral/

Officials said the couple’s other children, a 1-year-old boy and a 2-year-old girl, appeared to be in good health and are in the custody of the Florida Department of Children and Families.

I am almost sure there is a thread on this one but at the time the baby and family had not been named. Either that or this is another heinous and similar instance. The irony. This baby finally succumbed to starvation in a restaurant parking lot as her family gorged inside.

ETA I think I may be suffering from PeriM brain drain. I know I commented on another thread about this case but extensive searching does not reveal it. This is the second time I have recalled a thread that seemingly never existed in as many months. Heaven help me I think I am losing it.
    Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi - Lakota for Water is Life.

What a little doll! How very sad.

And what a nasty pair these two are! That poor baby, only knowing hunger. I hope they throw the book at them. How very cruel.

Also, doesn't look like 'dad' missed many meals.

I want to believe there were other reasons she died . Maybe mom was breastfeeding and no milk was being produced ? Maybe she had a condition where she didn't suckle and mom was extremely ignorant to the fact that the baby was starving ? I don't want to think these people purposely stRved this precious baby .

No words...........
    Media thread for Abby and Libby.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...5#post13163455

WebSleuths Lingo thread.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...bsleuths-Lingo

Unless I provide a link, every one of my posts are to be considered rumor, Speculation, or simply MY OWN OPINION.

We are the watchers. We are witnesses. We see what has gone before. We see what happens now, at this dangerous moment in human history. We see what's going to happen - what will surely happen - unless we come together: we - the Peoples of all Nations - to restore peace and harmony and balance to the Earth, our Mother.

THE IGNORE BUTTON IS YOUR FRIEND!

Quote Originally Posted by tlcya View Post
    I am almost sure there is a thread on this one but at the time the baby and family had not been named. Either that or this is another heinous and similar instance. The irony. This baby finally succumbed to starvation in a restaurant parking lot as her family gorged inside.

ETA I think I may be suffering from PeriM brain drain. I know I commented on another thread about this case but extensive searching does not reveal it. This is the second time I have recalled a thread that seemingly never existed in as many months. Heaven help me I think I am losing it.
    Here are some:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ath-by-Parents

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ant-Son-Smyrna

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...rvation+infant
    Proud member of the AFKBPOFPOPL

Quote Originally Posted by Jovi Girl View Post
    I want to believe there were other reasons she died . Maybe mom was breastfeeding and no milk was being produced ? Maybe she had a condition where she didn't suckle and mom was extremely ignorant to the fact that the baby was starving ? I don't want to think these people purposely stRved this precious baby .
    Me too. I mean the other two children were in good shape and the parents may of chosen to leave Betsey in the car if she was sleeping. Not to mention, some babies can be a pain to get to go to sleep and sometimes it can be due to an underlying mind related disorder that cannot be reasonably diagnosed until childhood such as early onset Schizophrenia or ADHD. I was one of those cases and my father said he'd pause whatever he was doing if we were out of the house and I miraculously took a nap during the day. I was also even abit of a pain to get to fall asleep during the night and relatives would take turns watching me late at night often. Turns out I do have ADHD as well as being high functioning on the Autism spectrum. Of course some of this is JMO and .

I wish I could give the benefit of the doubt to these "parents" but that child did not starve in a few hours or a day. On top of that, baby sleeping or no, you don't leave a 22 month old let alone a 22 day old infant in the car while you and the other kids go in to dine. Period. This child was not even so much as an afterthought, that day or any other in her short life. MOO

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

Quote Originally Posted by Jovi Girl View Post
    Could be. I am all for breastfeeding, but some hardcore advocates guilt and shame mothers with low supply, even comparing formula to poison and using it to child abuse. I wish I were joking.

If that were the case here, it would not be the first time this has happened because of that mindset - and I am not any more sympathetic towards the parents either way.
    Well you may throw your rock and hide your hand/Workin' in the dark against your fellow man
    But as sure as God made black and white/What's done in the dark will be brought to the light
    - Johnny Cash

According to this, mom said she had been breastfeeding every couple of hours. But, oops, not on the day long trip because it was hard to exit. I call bull****.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-n...r-seat-4896966

The couple, who traveled to Lakeland from Tennyson, Ind., have two children together, but Roy Stephens was not Betsey's biological father. "The obvious infidelity and subsequent pregnancy created a strain on the marriage, which affected (Roy's) demeanor toward (Betsey) and (Ruby)," according to a Lakeland police arrest report.

From OkieGranny's link in OP seems to answer the question, why, this couple (or by Stephen's domination over Ruby), purposely allowed this baby to die.
    Why couldn't they give Betsey up for adoption if Stephen's hated the reminder that she wasn't his??!!!

Yeah, *cough *bullspit* cough* on the no exit opportunity excuse. this baby was a beautiful reminder of an ugly truth no one wanted a reminder of. Like I said. She was less than an afterthought to either adult.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast