GUILTY NC - Tierra Hall, 17, stabbed to death, Durham, 27 March 2015 *Arrest*

Oh, another one gone. I'm about 30 miles from Durham -- it's a tuff place -- lots of gang activity, lots of teen unemployment. There's a very noticeable "haves & have nots" dynamic in Durham. Duke University and Duke Medical Center are there and the Research Triangle Park (leading medical research companies and leading techno companies) is less than ten miles away. It's not uncommon to see a "bad" run-down neighborhood turn into a middle-class or upscale neighborhood within a couple of blocks. "Good" schools and "bad" schools as well. Lots of crime in Durham.

Here's the latest from WRAL:

Local News

Friends, family say slain teen was 'good girl'

Posted March 28
Updated 5:18 a.m. today

Read more at http://www.wral.com/friends-family-say-slain-teen-was-good-girl-/14546100/#qSEIG0ODkJvafxw2.99

This from the N&O, the daily newspaper in Raleigh, NC, the capital city:

Durham teen faces life in prison if convicted of killing ex-girlfriend

By Thomasi McDonald
tmcdonald@newsobserver.com

04/01/2015 12:46 PM

04/01/2015 8:03 PM

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/counties/durham-county/article17102849.html#storylink=cpy

ETA:
Although the Supreme Court struck down automatic LWOP for minors, it can be sentenced if aggravating factors outweigh mitigating circumstances.

We'll see what happens.

The neighborhood where she was found is just a block from Jordan High School, where both Tierra and her ex-boyfriend were students. Since friends stated that she had been in school Friday, Tierra had not been behind the house for more than a day, most likely. I'd have to go back to find the interview with the mom on WRAL, but the mom states she hadn't reported her daughter missing yet, since she was 17 and it had been a Friday night when she didn't come home. :(

Oh my goodness! My husband just got off the phone with his mom. She teaches at Jordan and actually saw and gave Kelton a hug (!!!) after he returned to the school. His stuff was in her classroom. Apparently they have block periods so lunch was in the middle of her math class. She was interviewed by detectives and everything. How absolutely terrifying!! RIP Tierra.

Charges reduced to second degree murder for a guilty plea. Projected release date is April 2027.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back