866 users online (141 members and 725 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

IN - Driver following GPS drives off demolished bridge, wife killed

Good Lord!
    "If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you have to find the courage to live it."
    - John Irving in A Prayer for Owen Meany

Unless I provide a link or refer to a specific link, all my ramblings are theories, speculation, scenarios based on what info is available and my own unique life experiences.

Guess they believed gps over all this other stuff?

“The Cline Avenue bridge is marked with numerous barricades including orange barrels and cones, large wood signs stating ROAD CLOSED with orange striped markings,” Lake County Sheriff’s Department spokeswoman Patricia Van told the paper.

Have we all become so dependent on electronics, that we lose all common sense?
    Vermont born and raised!

Quote Originally Posted by RT51 View Post
    No. Just a few.

I think I'm just too skeptical and distrustful to ever understand these situations.

Quote Originally Posted by MsFacetious View Post
    I think I'm just too skeptical and distrustful to ever understand these situations.
    MsF
    Are you saying you distrust GPS and would tend to rely more on paper maps?
    Or are skeptical about drover's story about mistake?
    Last edited by al66pine; 03-31-2015 at 08:31 PM.

I am skeptical about anything and everything.
    When my GPS tells me to turn left and south, I verify that south and left are indeed the same.
    I don't just blindly follow what anyone tells me to do.
    Regardless of how much smarter than me they are.

Though of course it should be verified that it WAS an accident.
    Because we have had a couple of "car accidents" where the husband survived and the wife did not.
    Where the wife was not wearing her seat belt when that was not her normal routine.

So yes, making sure her injuries are consistent with the crash is important.
    Making sure she was wearing her seat belt and if she was not, that it was normal.
    (But that isn't what I initially meant.)

Quote Originally Posted by RT51 View Post
    It is pretty scary that there are people who do put an incredible amount of faith in technology. I remember reading more than 10 years ago about a man who crashed his camper after he set the cruise control and then went to the back to make a sandwich.
    "Some circumstantial evidence is very strong, as when you find a trout in the milk."
    - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by MsFacetious View Post
    I am skeptical about anything and everything.
    When my GPS tells me to turn left and south, I verify that south and left are indeed the same.
    I don't just blindly follow what anyone tells me to do.
    Regardless of how much smarter than me they are.

Though of course it should be verified that it WAS an accident.
    Because we have had a couple of "car accidents" where the husband survived and the wife did not.
    Where the wife was not wearing her seat belt when that was not her normal routine.

So yes, making sure her injuries are consistent with the crash is important.
    Making sure she was wearing her seat belt and if she was not, that it was normal.
    (But that isn't what I initially meant.)
    ITA. One thought I had when I read this was that this sort of accident could be intended as a murder-suicide.
    "Some circumstantial evidence is very strong, as when you find a trout in the milk."
    - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Indy Anna View Post
    ITA. One thought I had when I read this was that this sort of accident could be intended as a murder-suicide.
    My mind went there too.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy Anna View Post
    I remember reading more than 10 years ago about a man who crashed his camper after he set the cruise control and then went to the back to make a sandwich.
    Whaaaat. That's nuts. Did he really think that cruise control was also going to automatically STEER?

North Carolina's beautiful Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I'll take my maps any day, as long as they are updated.
    About the time we can make ends meet, somebody moves the ends. Herbert Hoover

Quote Originally Posted by SweetT View Post
    Guess they believed gps over all this other stuff?
    “The Cline Avenue bridge is marked with numerous barricades including orange barrels and cones, large wood signs stating ROAD CLOSED with orange striped markings,” Lake County Sheriff’s Department spokeswoman Patricia Van told the paper.
    This pix taken in Sept 2012 pix from http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/l...e09bd4592.html dated May 28
    from article: "demolished Cline Avenue bridge, which has been closed since 2009."
    The 64 y/o driver-husband "... survived the plunge of 37.5 feet off an elevated section of highway." 51 y/o wife did not.

Seems if they were (more or less local), they w/h/bn aware of bridge closure. Did man suffer from some infirmity
    of body or mind that impaired his driving or decision-making? Chronic or temporary? Drug side effect?

If driver wants to spouse gone, can he be sure wife will die, not tragically injured & disabled? Can't be sure, imo.
    Ditto if driver plans murder-suicide? Will both die, not one or both injured & disabled? Can't be sure, imo.

No matter what led to the plunge, the outcome is sad.

this is beyond horrible. I feel so sad for the family. I know where this is and this is dangerous, but people unfamiliar, it is scary. Another guy drove through because not properly secure. And proven it wasn't secure the day of the accident.

http://abc7chicago.com/news/report-c...-crash/601607/

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/l...81c0d3e27.html

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast