NY - Gavriel Ortiz-Fisher, 20 mos, smothered to death, NYC, 30 March 2015 *Arrest*

los2188

North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
Reaction score
Mom accused of killing toddler in NYC fast food bathroom
ocid73mgmmbtsv5onecu

After a 20-month-old baby boy was found foaming at the mouth in the bathroom of a Midtown burger restaurant in New York City, his mother was arrested. She blames what she allegedly did on the devil. Thirty-five-year-old Latisha Fisher, mother to young Gavriel Ortiz-Fisher, took her son into the 5 Boro Burger bathroom at around 2:25 p.m. on Monday, according to police. After Fisher had been inside the bathroom for an "unusual amount of time," and as lines to the bathroom grew longer, an employee went in to check and was horrified by what they found.

Fisher was caught holding her hand over her son's mouth. Foam was coming out of the toddler's nose and mouth. Fisher said, "I put my hand over his mouth to put him to sleep." Fisher also spoke of "hearing the devil's voice."

Fisher even tried to push employees away as they attempted to perform CPR on the lifeless toddler. Under normal circumstances, any mother would be distraught. One law enforcement official described Fisher to the New York Daily News as, "Soulless. She put her hand over his mouth and smothered him."

Police authorities added, "She is a lunatic. She is crazy."
http://www.sheknows.com/parenting/a...-of-killing-toddler-in-nyc-fast-food-bathroom

I just can't click thank you on this one los, but thank you. :(

My son is 20 months. This hurts my heart. Because I know from having a 20 month old son that poor little boy had to been trying to get away and new he was being hurt. I'm so sad I need to stay away from these cases

By the time of Gavriel’s birth, Ms. Fisher had poured burning oil onto a former partner’s head, tried to kill herself, been given a diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenia, and stabbed and used a Taser on an aunt, according to records and interviews...

At a news conference, Mayor Bill de Blasio said his administration was “profoundly focused” on doing a better job of addressing the kinds of mental health issues that can lead to violence.

In a statement, the commissioner of the agency, Gladys Carrión, said it had begun an investigation into the boy’s death...

A relative who has been deeply involved in caring for Ms. Fisher’s first son, however, said that the child welfare agency had been told repeatedly about mistreatment of the older child but that the complaints were not addressed. The agency had contact with Ms. Fisher in 2007 and 2009, during custody disputes over the older child.

“I’m angry that nobody did anything,” the relative said.

“Her illness is a tragedy. But her viciousness makes everyone else a victim.”

The older son, who has autism, came back from one supervised visit with Ms. Fisher in 2011 with a cigarette burn on his chest, the relative said.

Alone now in her apartment, Ms. Fisher took to hard living. She drank daily, used marijuana and cocaine and sometimes sold drugs, people in her building said. At times, she menaced her neighbors.

“Every day she was different,” Erwin Castillo, 26, said. “Happy one day, another day mad.”

In September 2011, during a fight with her aunt, Ms. Fisher attacked the woman with a Taser. Then, wielding a steak knife, she stabbed her aunt in her neck, ear and arm, according to a police report.

Sent to jail at Rikers for three months, Ms. Fisher was classified as seriously mentally ill, with paranoid schizophrenia, according to medical records. She told clinicians that a few days before her arrest, she heard voices telling her that her aunt was trying to kill her.

Much more here:
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/04/0...ar-old-in-midtown-restroom.html?referer=&_r=0

April 2015 - Lanisha had been stabilised and charged with 2nd degree murder.

Fisher “gave birth to a son a year ago and has adjusted very well to the demands of new motherhood,” read a September 2014 report prepared by the Center for Alternative Sentencing and Employment Services (CASES), a program for felony offenders with mental illnesses...

Allen Farbman, Fisher’s lawyer in the 2011 assault case, said she appeared well-adjusted after finishing up the CASES program.

“She must have gone off her meds,” Farbman told The News.

http://m.nydailynews.com/new-york/n...idtown-eatery-murder-breaks-article-1.2168124

article-toddler-0330.jpg

Gavriel-Ortiz-Fisher.jpg

Interview with the baby's father, April 2015:

Ortiz says that he knew Fisher had mental health issues when they first started going out three years ago but didn’t think they were so severe...

the last month or so, Ortiz told the Daily News, Fisher had been acting strangely.

“She wasn’t herself. You’d talk to her and she was, like, in a daydream,” he said. “I thought she was going through something, like she wanted to be alone. I didn’t see the signs.”

On Monday, he noticed nothing unusual when Fisher left with Gavriel.
http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/ne...in-nyc-restaurant-bathroom-says-mom-was-sick/

From last month:

Mom accused of killing 1-year-old son rejects plea deals

http://nypost.com/2016/12/19/mom-accused-of-killing-1-year-old-son-rejects-plea-deals/

A Manhattan woman accused of murdering her 1-year-old son turned up her nose at two separate plea deals Monday and is headed to trial.

“You’re sure?” a dumbfounded Judge Gregory Carro asked shackled Latisha Fisher, who whispered a barely audible “yes” in response.

Fisher will return to court for hearings and trial Feb. 8.

Woman Who Smothered 1-Year-Old Son in Bathroom Gets 18-Year Sentence

The woman, Latisha Fisher, 38, of the Lower East Side in Manhattan, had a history of mental illness and violence. On Oct. 30, the eve of her trial, she accepted a plea offer from prosecutors. She decided against an insanity defense and accepted responsibility for the death of her son, Gavriel Ortiz-Fisher.

Before Justice Gregory Carro of State Supreme Court in Manhattan announced her sentence, Ms. Fisher wept uncontrollably, muttering through her tears: “I am sorry. I love my son.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/mom-blamed-devil-killing-toddler-18-years-article-1.3646883

“Sometimes I blame myself … I should have gone there that day, maybe he’d still be here with us.”

The grieving father said he had found it in his heart to forgive Fisher but the pain still remained.

“I forgive you but I can never forget,” he said.

Prosecutors then read aloud Ortiz Sr.’s statement.

“In time, I will find a way to forgive you. For now, justice is served,” part of the 54-year-old’s statement read.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back