World's oldest woman dies, title moves to US woman

The Wiki article says that Gertrude Weaver is African American-going by what? That is not an African American woman in that picture unless they've changed the definition. If this isn't an April Fool joke, R.I.P. Misao.

The Wiki article says that Gertrude Weaver is African American-going by what? That is not an African American woman in that picture unless they've changed the definition. If this isn't an April Fool joke, R.I.P. Misao.

I agree Stan. She looks more Native American to me.

Gertrude Weaver died today after being the world's oldest person for only five days. There are now just three people left alive on Earth who were born in the 1800s. R.I.P. Gertrude

Attachments

• 27554E6A00000578-0-image-a-4_1428360718693.jpg
    27554E6A00000578-0-image-a-4_1428360718693.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 51
And next, ME! Mwahahahaha!

*searching for my crown and scepter*

We were posting that news at the exact same time STANDREID.

All joking aside, Ms. Talley looks very well for 115.

I only hope to keep so well at 70.

ETA: wrong surname, all apologies

She does look great...But that's not Gertrude Weaver, as she just passed away. It's a photo of Jeralean Talley, the new record holder.

Oh, I see you just corrected your post, Ellie Bee!

Just to mix things up a little more - this isn't the first time Jeralean has held the title. That's because for a long time no-one knew about Gertrude Weaver.

Gertrude was only discovered by the Gerontology Research Group last July, at which point she took the title away from Jeralean, who now has it back.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeralean_Talley

ETA: Title of oldest American I mean, not world's oldest. Confusing myself now.

I can not even imagine making it to 117. wow. LOL I am not sure I'd want to.

As the famous black Blues Player, Eubie Blake, once said : " If I knew I was going to live this long I'd have taken better care of myself."

Gertrude Weaver died today after being the world's oldest person for only five days. There are now just three people left alive on Earth who were born in the 1800s. R.I.P. Gertrude

Wow! :(

I can not even imagine making it to 117. wow. LOL I am not sure I'd want to.

As the famous black Blues Player, Eubie Blake, once said : " If I knew I was going to live this long I'd have taken better care of myself."

That reminds me of my sweet grandmother who, at 99, asked me "Do you think God has forgotten all about me?".

She was in good health (considering) but my grandaddy and all of her friends were gone. She was ready.

She died that same year. She did not reach 100. I will bet she was happy about that. :)

That really makes quite the statement. Wow! BBM

Sadly, Gertrude Weaver has died of pneumonia just days after she inherited the title. Staff at her care home said she had enjoyed her time in the spotlight though, and had invited President Obama to her 117th birthday, on the Fourth of July.

Jeralean Talley of Detroit is now the world's oldest person, at 115.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-world-s-oldest-person-dies-116-Arkansas.html

Two things...

1.) I'm amazed by how healthy she appears to be.

2.) I am not fooled by the adorable hat - she does NOT look like someone to mess with!

As for the lady who just died, it's sad that she only got to enjoy her new "title" for a few days.

Agreed about Ms. Talley.

You don't live that long if you haven't a bit of scrap and tussle in you. Well done, Ms. Talley!!!!

That reminds me of my sweet grandmother who, at 99, asked me "Do you think God has forgotten all about me?".

My uncle (mom's brother) was 99 when he died a little over a year ago. He could have probably made it to 100 had he gone on dialysis but he chose not to.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back