1169 users online (246 members and 923 guests)  

Websleuths News

los2188 is offline North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!

AL - Alabama Baby Born Without a Nose, Mom Says He's Perfect

Alabama Baby Born Without a Nose, Mom Says He's Perfect
    Eli Thompson

Eli Thompson came into this world in the late afternoon of March 4, perfectly healthy, but with one distinction -- he didn't have a nose.

"The day I delivered, everything went fine," mom Brandi McGlathery told ABC News yesterday. "At 4:42 when he was born, he came out and the doctor put him on my chest. When I took a closer look at him, I said, 'He doesn't have a nose,' and they took him out of the room." McGlathery said that her doctor sat beside her bed to explain to her what was wrong with Eli.

"He had the most apologetic look on his face," she said. "I knew right away that something was wrong."

Although her baby showed no signs of additional abnormalities, McGlathery said she was at first shocked and upset to hear the news from her doctor.

Dr. R. Craig Brown, McGlathery's obstetrician, said his own research has revealed only 38 cases of "absolutely nothing being wrong other than no nose." That's very, very rare.
    https://gma.yahoo.com/alabama-baby-b...parenting.html
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

"When from a long distant past nothing persists, after the people are dead, after things are broken and scattered, still alone, more persistent, more faithful, the smell and taste of things remain poised a long, long time like souls, ready to remind us, waiting, hoping for their moment amid the ruins of all the rest, and bear unfaltering in the tiny and almost impalpable drop of their essence the vast structure of recollection."

Poor baby. I'm sure plastic surgery can fix that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan View Post
    Poor baby. I'm sure plastic surgery can fix that.
    I swear that I read an article that said the baby has no sinus cavity and other parts of the sinus and nasal area that were missing as well.

ETA: http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...t-nose-n334191 No sinus cavity or olfactory system.

And yes, he is perfect and beautiful <3
    Last edited by Turtles; 04-02-2015 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Added link
    Justice failed Caylee Marie!!

Please bring Haleigh home!

I think he's cute as heck. Him having no nose is actually amost completely adorable.
    My heart just hurts for him because let's face it kids can be cruel and when he's like 3 or 4 others his age will have a lot of questions. But I'm optimistic that plastic surgery in some way can fix this even if he doesn't have a sinus passage he can still get a nose.
    Other than that though how freaking cute is he!?!?!?!?!

The mom took Zofran throughout her pregnancy. Zofran is a pregnancy approved drug (manufactured mainly for cancer patients) given to treat nausea.
    There are lawyers contacting women who took it and had babies w birth defects, as there was a batch confirmed to cause them. I think this may be a birth defect caused by Zofran...but no idea JMO

Adorably-sweet video, as well as additional information on the condition at the link below:

"Congenital arhinia can make it hard for babies to breathe and feed; however, there have been cases in which people with the condition live into adulthood. Eli doesn’t have a nasal cavity of olfactory system either."

"However, they don’t expect to put him through any reconstructive surgeries until he’s well into puberty — the condition also affects his pituitary gland, which synthesizes and secretes many of the hormones involved with puberty."

http://www.medicaldaily.com/pulse/al...arhinia-327788

And a FB page for Eli:

https://www.facebook.com/TimothyElisStory?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by fred&edna View Post
    Adorably-sweet video, as well as additional information on the condition at the link below:

"Congenital arhinia can make it hard for babies to breathe and feed; however, there have been cases in which people with the condition live into adulthood. Eli doesn’t have a nasal cavity of olfactory system either."

"However, they don’t expect to put him through any reconstructive surgeries until he’s well into puberty — the condition also affects his pituitary gland, which synthesizes and secretes many of the hormones involved with puberty."

http://www.medicaldaily.com/pulse/al...arhinia-327788

And a FB page for Eli:

https://www.facebook.com/TimothyElisStory?fref=ts
    Snipped from the article you posted: "And the doctor said, ‘No, he’s perfectly fine.’ Then I shouted, ‘He doesn’t have a nose!’” Brandi McGlathery told Al.com. It was a shock for both her and her husband Troy Thompson, as well as the doctor who placed Eli on her chest"

What kind of Doctor does not notice that the baby he just delivered does not have a nose!!