Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Remember the bomb collar/bank robbery case?

Remember the bomb collar/bank robbery case?

The FBI seized letters written by a convicted rapist and interviewed his ex-wife as part of their investigation into the death of a pizza deliveryman killed when a bomb locked onto his neck exploded, according to a published report.

Janet M. Ponsford, who now lives in Aitkin, Minn., told the Erie Times-News for Wednesday's editions that the FBI also took shoes belonging to her ex-husband, 58-year-old Floyd A. Stockton Jr., who is now serving a rape sentence in Washington state. She said the FBI wanted the shoes and letters "to compare things to."

Ponsford, who said she was married and divorced from Stockton three times, said he is mechanically inclined, can be violent, and "likes to doodle."

Special Agent Gerald Clark wouldn't say Wednesday whether the FBI interviewed Ponsford, but said the investigation has "actively picked up and we pursue it vigorously every day."

The Times-News detailed several other links between Stockton and the Wells case, most notably his longtime friendship with a now-dead handyman, William Rothstein.
    http://www.timesleader.com/mld/timesleader/12350423.htm
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mysteriew For This Useful Post:

The Times-News detailed several other links between Stockton and the Wells case, most notably his longtime friendship with a now-dead handyman, William Rothstein.

Rothstein, 60, a former high school shop teacher who died last June, was questioned in connection with Wells' death because he lived near the TV tower where Wells went to deliver his last pizza. Ponsford told the newspaper Rothstein had known Stockton, who goes by the first name Jay, for decades.

"He's been a friend of Jay's ever since I can remember, and I have known Jay since 1971," Ponsford told the newspaper.

The FBI has said Stockton was living at Rothstein's house about the time Wells was killed, but they initially found nothing linking him to their investigation.

Rothstein and his longtime friend and former fiancee, Marjorie Diehl-Armstrong, ran into legal trouble around the time of the bank robbery when a man's body was found in her freezer.

Diehl-Armstrong is serving a 20-year sentence after pleading guilty but mentally ill in the third-degree murder and subsequent dismemberment of James Roden, her boyfriend at the time.

A retired college professor also told the newspaper that the FBI questioned him about seeing Diehl-Armstrong driving the wrong way on the berm of southbound Interstate 79 the day Wells died. That stretch of interstate was part of the route Wells was instructed to take in the note.
    http://www.centredaily.com/mld/centr...s/12350423.htm
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mysteriew For This Useful Post:

Thanks for locating these articles Mysteriew! I hope they clear Brian Wells name- it's bad enough he died while police didn't believe him and get the bomb squad there soon enough, it was outrageous when they accused him of plotting his own death!!! Who would chose to do that? Even suicide bombers don't chain the bombs to their necks!
    Please help locate Mark Dribin http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ht=Mark+Dribin and Ilene Misheloff http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...lene+Misheloff and bring them home.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LinasK For This Useful Post:

The FBI (website) says new leads have poured in since a newspaper
    published a story saying that a convicted rapist is being
    investigated in the death of a pizza delivery man who died when a
    bomb locked onto his neck exploded.

The Erie Times-News first reported that the FBI was investigating whether
    Floyd Stockton Jr., who is now serving a rape sentence in Washington state, is a focus of the investigation.

The FBI won't say what kinds of leads they've gotten since the story ran Wednesday, but say they are following them up.
    http://www.abc27.com/news/stories/0805/251014.html

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mysteriew For This Useful Post:

Two years after Wells’ mysterious death, authorities don’t know who killed the 46-year-old pizza deliveryman. But a FOX News investigation reveals that several people could be viewed as suspects, although all but one of them is now dead.

Robert Pinetti, a friend of Wells’ who worked with him delivering pizzas for Mama Mia’s, was discovered unresponsive by family members. Nearly the same age as Wells, a coroner’s report obtained by FOX News showed that Pinetti died from a lethal combination of drugs and alcohol in his system. The coroner’s report ruled Pinetti’s death accidental.

Despite the extraordinary coincidence of two men working for the same small pizza delivery shop dying mysterious deaths within days of each other, a thorough investigation turned up nothing linking Pinetti's overdose death to the deadly bomb blast that killed Wells.

But Pinetti’s death would not be the last.

Three weeks after Wells’ murder, William Rothstein -- a substitute teacher, handyman and lifelong Erie resident -- contacted the Pennsylvania State Police to report that there was a body in his freezer.

In an exclusive video obtained by FOX News, Rothstein admits to disposing of the corpse, later identified as James Roden.

“There was a person I have known since the late 60s early 70s. She had a body in her house that she wanted removed … I helped her with it,” Rothstein said. “I put it basically in my garage.”

The woman was Marjorie Diehl-Armstrong, a former fiancé of Rothstein’s.

“She's had bad luck with significant others. One individual was shot seven or eight times while he was asleep,” said Foulk, the district attorney.

“She had a significant other that hung himself … She had a significant other that apparently stumbled and hit his head on a coffee table and died … and Mr. Roden was shot while he was asleep as well with two blasts from a shotgun,” Foulk said.

Of the four suspicious deaths connected to Diehl-Armstrong, she was convicted in only one. She was found guilty of murder in the third degree for the death of James Roden. She admitted to causing one of the other deaths but she claimed spousal abuse.
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,166160,00.html

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mysteriew For This Useful Post:

Two years after an Erie pizza delivery man robbed a bank and then was killed when a bomb clamped to his neck exploded, the FBI has made no arrests in the bizarre and complex case but has developed "promising" leads following more than 1,000 interviews, the agent overseeing the investigation said.

"We're certainly in a better position than we were two years ago. We've made a lot of progress. We've identified a couple of avenues of investigation that are promising to investigators," Robert Rudge, assistant special agent in charge of the Pittsburgh FBI office, said Friday.

I think the investigation has been flawed from the beginning," Wells said from Erie, where some of his family still lives. "It's the same thing -- we're investigating, we're getting tips and we're tracking down leads. I'm like, the family needs a lot more than rhetoric. It needs results."

"Wells' primary gripe is that the agency has not declared that his brother was an innocent victim. As well, he is upset that investigators have not released the full text of the notes. Four of the nine pages have been released almost in their entirety, and Wells has placed them on his Web site, www.brianwells.net.
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05240/561408.stm

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mysteriew For This Useful Post:

Geraldo had an hour long special on this last Sunday on FOX. It was fascinating, IMO. I tried to find a transcript of the show, but couldn't.

FWIW, there was a portion where Geraldo asked LE about this witness of the woman driving on the wrong side of the highway the day of the incident and LE said they'd never even heard of him. They allowed Geraldo to interview him in a hotel room (in their presence) and immediately after had FBI and other LE talk to him as well.

JMHO
    fran

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,166034,00.html

Now Geraldo Rivera brings new, never before seen information to light, including a video confession and an eyewitness the FBI had previously overlooked. It's a story everyone remembers but few really know.

Thanx, mysteriew for showing me this thread. When I searched I only put in "pizza bomber". I've always thought it was strange that when the coronor examined Brian's body that there was shotgun pellets in his leg. Very mysterious.

I'm very curious as to what could be in those blacked out areas in the written instructions given to Brian or why so much of it is being protected. I can understand why some of it would be withheld for proof in case someone confesses, but there's a lot blacked out and I'm assuming from reading the parts that are not blacked out it's just more instructions of where to go and if you don't BANG!!!!

Did anyone watch america's most Wanted tonight? I got lost somewhere. Janet Ponsford (Floyd A. Stockton Jr.'s ex wife) was talking about the similarity between letters she had recieved from someone (i think Floyd ) and the 9 page note handed to Brian Wells. She was saying how there were equal marks everywhere in the notes (=) where they shouldn't be. Also that this person was always crafting items with double J's for her, representing her name Janet and I thought that persons name. I know I'm lost, I hope someone else was watching. They said there are two sets of double J's incorporated into the handmade cane gun. Also interesting that the FBI said that Floyd liked to make pipe bombs and that was basically what the bomb on the bomb collar was. They also said the collar (not so much the bomb) and the cane gun were very similar to Floyd's craftsmanship.

I watched AMW specifically because of this case.

The geist of it is. Jay and Janet Stockton. Double J......that was on the "cane gun". Jay made a clock with the same symbol as in Jay and Janet and gave it to Janet some years ago. It is very distinctive........

Jay Stockton was a wanted criminal and was harboured by that shop teacher(Floyd) Also, Jay (because he has been in Prison for various offences) wrote Janet many, many letters. So he has specific writing and style(hence the = signs), that is specific to a particular person and style.

Also the area that the victim was lured to, was known and used by Jay Stockton with his friend Floyd to make and use pipe bombs. Jay also used to take Janet to this area when they were dating/married.

Also Jay is a manipulative, control freak with a sick sense of humour......abusive and violent.

He was released from Prison in September and not been arrested or charged with any crime related to this case.

I feel that Floyd and Jay were in this together......what sicko's.....Brian never had a chance.......

hi everyone. I am a new member and am from scotland. What happened to this man is terrifying. I am not too clued up on all the people involved but why has nobody been charged with this murder yet?

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hukster16 For This Useful Post:

Huckster16:

Welcome to Websleuths.....greetings from Canada. I hope that you are doing well in Scotland.

There is not enough evidence in this case to charge anyone. For sometime, LE(Law Enforcement)thought that Brian Wells had "masterminded" this whole scene to rob a bank. After some investigation, it became apparent that Brian Well's was a victim, not asuspect and that he robbed the bank under "extreme" duress and in fear for his life.

But it still is an ongoing case, it is still being investigated. Robert Pinetti, who was Brian Wells co-worker at the Pizza Restaurant died of a drug overdose three days after Brian Wells death. Very, suspicious, some speculate that he was involved.........but maybe he did not know that this would end in the death of Brian Wells and that Robert died of a drug overdose over his part in this crime. No one knows if his death was a result of the crime or had nothing to do with it.

Bill Rothstein - long since died from cancer. But he fit the profile of the FBI profilers Collarbomber. But he left a note saying he did not have anything to do with the crime. But he fit the profile. I am sure that he was involved somehow.......

Jay Stockton -no evidence again. But plently of co-incidences, like the writing and the double J in the cane gun. Close friend of Bill Rothstein.

So until any new and compelling evidence shows up or any one comes forward.........the case is still under investigation.

According to AMW the goal of this "collarbomber" was not the bank robbery......but control. There was no way that Brian Wells could have completed the "list" of the scavenger hunt in the alloted time.

If he did not complete the list, he would have died. The goal was a sick game of a "puppet" master and Brian Wells was the puppet. The puppetmaster held the life of the puppet in his hand and knew that in the end the puppet, as in the human being, Brian Wells would have died either way.

Just sick people, totally sick people.........

22. The Following User Says Thank You to CyberLaw For This Useful Post:

thankyou for explaining that to me cyberlaw. I couldnt imagine how that poor man must have felt. There are some really sick people in this world. I will never understand why people are so cruel. Hopefully one day somebody will pay for this.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to hukster16 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CyberLaw
    I watched AMW specifically because of this case.

The geist of it is. Jay and Janet Stockton. Double J......that was on the "cane gun". Jay made a clock with the same symbol as in Jay and Janet and gave it to Janet some years ago. It is very distinctive........

Jay Stockton was a wanted criminal and was harboured by that shop teacher(Floyd) Also, Jay (because he has been in Prison for various offences) wrote Janet many, many letters. So he has specific writing and style(hence the = signs), that is specific to a particular person and style.

Also the area that the victim was lured to, was known and used by Jay Stockton with his friend Floyd to make and use pipe bombs. Jay also used to take Janet to this area when they were dating/married.

Also Jay is a manipulative, control freak with a sick sense of humour......abusive and violent.

He was released from Prison in September and not been arrested or charged with any crime related to this case.

I feel that Floyd and Jay were in this together......what sicko's.....Brian never had a chance.......
    The shop teacher was not named Floyd Cyberlaw. His name is William Rothstein and that is who Jay Stockton lived with near Tower road for some time and during the time this occurred. Obviously you are confused.

Rothstein has since died. He was a very smart shop teacher who spoke three languages.

In this article they mention a Floyd A. Stockton. Are Jay and this person the same? This is why I was confused about AMW last night.
    http://www.timesleader.com/mld/timesleader/12350423.htm

I am not confused, except if I read another post without checking my facts first. I should have learned by now.....

Floyd "Jay" Stockton.......convicted felon, alive - good friend of Bill and harboured by Bill to evade criminal charges of Rape

William "Bill" Rothstein - shop teacher, dead, known to Police, weird, manipulative, smart, but devious, suspect in other murders........

Quote Originally Posted by CyberLaw
    I am not confused, except if I read another post without checking my facts first. I should have learned by now.....

Floyd "Jay" Stockton.......convicted felon, alive - good friend of Bill and harboured by Bill to evade criminal charges of Rape

William "Bill" Rothstein - shop teacher, dead, known to Police, weird, manipulative, smart, but devious, suspect in other murders........
    Cyberlaw, so is "Jay" Floyd's nickname?

I can't answer if a person is using a nickname, unless of course they say: "that is my nickname".

But he used the name of Jay, as he was obsessed with the letter J for some odd reason.

Quote Originally Posted by hukster16
    hi everyone. I am a new member and am from scotland. What happened to this man is terrifying. I am not too clued up on all the people involved but why has nobody been charged with this murder yet?
    Nobody has been charged with this murder yet. The process has been slow and confusing. Erieite's have felt all along (wrong or not) that the FBI and law enforcement didn't reach out for the public's help from the beginning. The slow release of any new information has been frustrating to all.

Even the people that have come forward in this case may have an axe to grind and may not have the purest of intentions. Some still think Diehl was in on the plot herself. If she wasn't then it is interesting who would have been the third person at the tower who Wells talked about. Could that have been someone Well's knew who set him up to these two?

There just is not enough evidence yet to tie all this confusion together.

But one thing is very evident - whomever devised this "plot" was very bright, disturbed and devious.

I "weigh in" that Bill was the person who was the mastermind behind this.....and the accomplices were just following him and going by his direction.

Bill or Stockton I would tend to agree with that. I still think Penetti may have been involved in some way and regretted it and committed suicide. His story is weird unto itself. The "clue game" played was so similar to the "Great Erie Key Hunt" was so similar to the note it makes me wonder if someone close to Wells was involved.

I would love to see that whole note.

Quote Originally Posted by LinasK
    Thanks for locating these articles Mysteriew! I hope they clear Brian Wells name- it's bad enough he died while police didn't believe him and get the bomb squad there soon enough, it was outrageous when they accused him of plotting his own death!!! Who would chose to do that? Even suicide bombers don't chain the bombs to their necks!
    This is what made me so mad. I think that the police should have acted in a more expeditious fashion. Maybe, they could have saved this guy's life. How horrible for him and his family.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast