AL AL - Eric Cates, 32, Walker County, 21 March 2015

SwampMama

Insomniac Extraordinaire
Reaction score
http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2015/03/family_seeks_answers_after_man.html

What happened to a man and his dog found dead in burned truck? Family seeks answers
"Eric Cates and his beloved dog, Gypsy, were rarely apart. They reveled in the crowds at the race track on his family's land; spent time at his brother's home, delighting his nephews; or just drove in his truck."

"Authorities have released few details since Saturday, when a group of hunters saw his burned pickup truck parked behind the old Empire School and called the Walker County Sheriff's Department."

"Since Saturday, family members have been on social media nearly 24 hours a day. They read every comment and every prayer posted on the Justice for Eric Cates Facebook page set up by his cousin."

http://www.cullmantimes.com/news/in...cle_06f4581e-d361-11e4-9472-13ad9d133c85.html

"Cullman County Sheriff Gentry also said since the death was reported, numerous calls have been received at the local sheriff’s office with people offering information that may be important to the investigation."

http://wiat.com/2015/03/25/mother-of-man-found-dead-in-burned-pickup-truck-speaks-out/

Eric Cates mother, Tobbie Stover, was emotional when talking about the gruesome death of her son. “To know that there was nothing in the car except skeleton was heart wrenching. I wouldn’t want anyone to have to go through this. No one,” said Stover.

Eric Cates and Gypsy.jpgEric Cate and Gypsy 2.jpgEric Cates Poster.jpg

How horrible.

I'm a sucker for a handsome guy with a dog.

Me too, CharmingLane. A good looking guy with smiling eyes and a great smile, a dog he loves and and a pickup truck too is a combination that is so likeable. This is such a mysterious case. By all accounts Eric was well liked and I have seen no hint of any suspicious activities in his life. He seemed to be a hardworking guy who was close to his mom, brother, sis in law and his nephews.

Although he died March 21, he has yet to be laid to rest. His funeral is still pending the release of his body. The autopsy has yet to be released. I am sure they are doing much testing of his body and the truck for any signs of foul play. They are likely doing toxicology as well as testing items in his truck for traces of arson related fire accelerates.

It is puzzling that the Jessica Chambers story in Mississippi just a few month ago (she was also found in her burning car and died hours later) has gotten so much press but this story has had so little. here is a link to the FB page his cousin started, called "Justice for Eris Cates". https://www.facebook.com/pages/Justice-for-Eric-Cates/720803068017733?fref=ts His mother and family have posted there. They deserves answers about what happened and why and support from people while this investigation goes on.

Me too, CharmingLane. A good looking guy with smiling eyes and a great smile, a dog he loves and and a pickup truck too is a combination that is so likeable. This is such a mysterious case. By all accounts Eric was well liked and I have seen no hint of any suspicious activities in his life. He seemed to be a hardworking guy who was close to his mom, brother, sis in law and his nephews.

Although he died March 21, he has yet to be laid to rest. His funeral is still pending the release of his body. The autopsy has yet to be released. I am sure they are doing much testing of his body and the truck for any signs of foul play. They are likely doing toxicology as well as testing items in his truck for traces of arson related fire accelerates.

It is puzzling that the Jessica Chambers story in Mississippi just a few month ago (she was also found in her burning car and died hours later) has gotten so much press but this story has had so little. here is a link to the FB page his cousin started, called "Justice for Eris Cates". https://www.facebook.com/pages/Justice-for-Eric-Cates/720803068017733?fref=ts His mother and family have posted there. They deserves answers about what happened and why and support from people while this investigation goes on.

Jessica's case gets more media attention because it was ruled a homicide. Media attention will pick up if Eric's death is ruled a homicide.

JMO

Jessica's case gets more media attention because it was ruled a homicide. Media attention will pick up if Eric's death is ruled a homicide.

JMO

This story just came thru my FB Time line.

How could this case not be ruled a homicide???

So Sad :( Indeed a Good Looking guy with an awesome looking dog.

I hope the family is able to find closure and soon.

I'll be following and praying they do :praying:

~

The county coroner said he is still waiting for the findings from a state-conducted autopsy.

Anyone with information on the case is encouraged to contact the Walker County Sheriff's Office at 205-302-6464. If the information relates to the Cullman area, the Cullman County Sheriff’s Office can be reached at (256) 734-0342.

http://www.cullmantimes.com/news/co...cle_129699a6-dcd6-11e4-a6f9-cbf5e8a252e0.html

In the link in the first post, his mother commented how good he looked, dressed nice, all washed up, cleaned up truck. Could a woman be involved in whatever happened to him? Did he have a date with a new lady or a special date with a longer-term girlfriend?

The county coroner said he is still waiting for the findings from a state-conducted autopsy.

Anyone with information on the case is encouraged to contact the Walker County Sheriff's Office at 205-302-6464. If the information relates to the Cullman area, the Cullman County Sheriff’s Office can be reached at (256) 734-0342.

http://www.cullmantimes.com/news/co...cle_129699a6-dcd6-11e4-a6f9-cbf5e8a252e0.html

Hopefully this delay means they are taking their time and doing a thorough job of gathering any potential evidence that can help them find the person(s) responsible for this. Maybe the lack of info is intentional because there is information that has not been released?:thinking:

Odd there are not more local media sources reporting on this case.

Is anyone local to this area/case?

~

http://www.cullmantimes.com/news/wa...cle_c9600d2a-e307-11e4-8186-b77c43334fc9.html

"Walker County Sheriff Jim Underwood said investigators are still waiting on a full forensics report from the state, which will hopefully be completed by the end of the week. In the meantime, Underwood said investigators have conducted interviews with 45-50 people in relation to the case, and the body of the dog found in the truck has been sent for additional examination at Auburn."

Social media has wonderful in getting the word out about this case. I hope that Eric's mother gets the answers she needs. Losing a son is bad enough but to lose a son in such an awful way is just so sad.

Adding a link with Video from March 27th to the thread. This poor Mom :( I pray she sees justice for her son and his dog. :praying:

The link also contains video which shows the truck being towed away on a flatbed.

Mother believes her son's body was found in burned truck in Walker County

Posted: Mar 27, 2015 11:19 PM EDTUpdated: Apr 03, 2015 11:29 PM EDT

WALKER COUNTY, AL (WBRC) -

Last weekend the burned bodies of a man and dog were found inside a truck found near the old, abandoned Empire School.

Tobbie Stover believes the body is that of her son, Eric Cates. She hasn't heard from him since last Friday, March 20. That's the day Eric Cates went to visit friends in Walker County.

A Facebook page called
"Justice for Eric Cates" has more than 8,000 likes. It's where many are posting well wishes for his family.

"We never would of suspected anything like this,” said Chris Cates, Eric's brother. “He was a good man. He had problems like everyone else, but no enemies."

Stover said what happened to her son is evil and she wants to know who took his life and why.

http://www.myfoxal.com/story/286369...dy-was-found-in-burned-truck-in-walker-county

ETA:

Truck.jpg
~

http://www.cullmantimes.com/news/wa...cle_c9600d2a-e307-11e4-8186-b77c43334fc9.html

"Walker County Sheriff Jim Underwood said investigators are still waiting on a full forensics report from the state, which will hopefully be completed by the end of the week. In the meantime, Underwood said investigators have conducted interviews with 45-50 people in relation to the case, and the body of the dog found in the truck has been sent for additional examination at Auburn."

Social media has wonderful in getting the word out about this case. I hope that Eric's mother gets the answers she needs. Losing a son is bad enough but to lose a son in such an awful way is just so sad.

Very Curious to see the results of this report and if they release any further details like a possible COD of both Eric & the Dog. I'm also curious if there were signs of an accelerate present. If so I wonder if has LE obtained any video from near by gas stations of anyone who may have purchased fuel in cans around the time of the incident:waitasec: Perhaps even video of Eric's truck from business on the route to his destination in Walker County?

Not much information being released yet :confused:

~

11136709_728628027235237_3987210811367519685_n.jpg

As of today, a month after Eric was first found, there are still no updates. His family is STILL awaiting the Autopsy results and for them to release Eric's remains so that his family may lay him and Gypsy to rest. Reports are that Walker County and Cullman County are still working hard on the case.

From the posts on his family's official FB page "Justice for Eric Cates", it seems that Eric's and Gypsy's bodies were pretty much reduced to bones. So it will probably be difficult to do testing and to find the evidence needed to make a case. But Eric's mom is a strong woman with an unwavering love of Eric and faith that there will be answers and justice for her beloved son Eric and his constant companion, his dog Gypsy.

I just saw a plea on my FB timeline and had to come over, cuz I just knew he would have a thread here.

Sure wish there was more coming forth for the family. It's heartwrenching!

Anything new? Bumping.

This is the last article I can locate.

Family of Eric Cates looking for closure in death case

Walker County Sheriff Jim Underwood said his team is still waiting on a full forensics report from the state, and in the meantime, investigators have conducted interviews with 45-50 people in relation to the case.

“The waiting is just horrible, but if it leads to what happened to my son, then it's all going to be worth it,” Cates’ mother, Tobbie Stover said. “I understand it’s a slow process, and I think they’re heading in the right direction, but it’s just awful.”

http://www.cullmantimes.com/news/fa...cle_3c6fde7a-ebba-11e4-b31d-73f267c6f1e1.html

Sure is taking a LONG time :thinking:

~

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer