Brandt-famed dermatologisthanged himself 'devastated' by Tina Fey Netflix show

http://www.people.com/article/unbreakable-kimmy-schmidt-not-cause-dr-brandt-apparent-suicide

Although celebrity dermatologist Dr. Fredric Brandt had been upset about comparisons to a character on Tina Fey's Netflix series Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, the show did not cause his apparent suicide Sunday, a source tells PEOPLE.

"He was depressed," the source close to Brandt says. "Did the show upset him? Yes. It was a mean characterization. He was a human being, no one would like that. It was making fun of him for the way he looked and it was mean and it was bullying. It was an illness, he suffered from depression. He always seemed like the life of the party, he would sing and rap his way through the day."

"It wasn't the only thing troubling him, it was just one factor," the source adds. "It definitely hurt him. He was absolutely upset, who would want that? But that was not why he committed suicide. But it didn't help."

Yeah, people kill themselves because they have terrible depression and distorted thinking.

The show may have added to negative feelings about himself, but this guy had much larger depression issues (obviously) than getting upset over a characterization of him.

It's sad. For all we know he had a fatal medical condition (much like Robin Williams)..

It would be wrong to make a joke about having "thin skin", wouldn't it?

Doesn't he sell his skincare line on QVC? Such a shame.

Dr Brandt appears to have been a very intelligent and pioneering doctor according to the article posted above. I'm sure depression was the major issue here but the characterization must have added insult to injury. RIP Dr Brandt. People can be so cruel.

It would be wrong to make a joke about having "thin skin", wouldn't it?

Not for me. :laughing:

That being said, I think we assume celebrities should be used to negative characterizations of them. I imagine not everyone has the coping mechanisms for the dark side of celebrity. It is unfortunate. However, I can't imagine there were not issues far exceeding a negative characterization that would cause someone to take their life.

Welcome Cruzin! Thanks for joining in.

Dr Brandt WAS offended by Kimmy Schmidt caricature, friends claim as it emerges he started spending Saturday nights injecting himself with fillers

Fredric Brandt had been suicidally depressed for 10 days before he took his own life

Police report into the 65-year-old's suicide reveals Brandt was found on Sunday morning by friend, John Joseph Hupert, inside his garage

Hupert was staying with the cosmetic surgeon on doctors orders to monitor Brandt's suicidal tendencies

Hupert revealed that Brandt had been taking medication for his depression

Paramedics declared the plastic surgeon dead at the scene after having found he hanged himself

Brandt's psychiatrist, Dr. Saida Koita, arrived soon afterwards and told police she had been treating Brandt daily

Brandt was reportedly devastated by parody character Dr Franff in hit Netflix series Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt which debuted on March 6

Friends said that, though Dr Brandt was upset, show didn't cause his death

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...y-nights-injecting-fillers.html#ixzz3X3ReqkSM

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back2theGardenAgain
Back