SC - Walter Scott, 50, fatally shot by North Charleston PD officer, 4 April 2015 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawny

Reaction score
Is there a thread on this yet? Apologies if it has!

http://www.abcnews4.com/story/28725...hot-killed-by-north-charleston-police-officer

NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCIV) -- The attorney for a North Charleston police officer who shot a 50-year-old man during a confrontation at a traffic stop Saturday says his client believes he followed proper procedure.

The incident began about 9:30 a.m. Saturday when Officer Michael Slager, 33, pulled 50-year-old Walter Scott over for a broken tail light at the corner of Remount and Craig roads.

I heard the officer meant to draw his taser and drew his pistol by mistake and fired.

I heard the officer meant to draw his taser and drew his pistol by mistake and fired.

That is sad. I can't imagine.

I saw this police car chase and thought it was worth posting, not meaning to change topic but it is a good example of police (VSP & Fairfax Va police) apprehension without firing a shot. I don't think she was armed to shot at them but they were able to stop her without a shot.

video at link, it's wild.

http://wtvr.com/2015/03/31/woman-leads-virginia-police-on-dangerous-chase/

Officer is being charged with murder. Funny how someone mentioned his taser...

South Carolina police officer charged with murder after shooting man during traffic stop

Footage of the shooting, obtained by the New York Times and the Post and Courier newspaper, showed Scott fleeing from Slager across a tree-lined patch of grass. Slager fires a series of shots at Scott, who appears to be unarmed, striking Scott in the back.

Slager told the dispatcher, “Shots fired and the subject is down, he took my Taser,” according to the portion of the report filled out by another officer who relayed what he heard.

However, the video shows Slager picking up an item and placing it near Scott, though it is unclear if this is the Taser or something else.

So he shoots an unarmed man in the back and tries to plant his taser near him so he can claim the guy had a weapon.

Thank g-d for that video or he would have gotten away with it.

I'm curious to know if Scott's fingerprints are on the taser, tbh.

From what we know, and the video it looks like a bad shoot. I can't see any reason for shooting someone running away IN THIS CASE, and with the INFO AVAILABLE.
A few things I did notice....
The video DOESNT show anything prior to the man starting to run.
From what I see the stun gun appears to be on the ground a bit in front of the officer. Maybe the deceased DID wrestle the stun gun from the cop?
The cop picking the stun gun up and dropping it near the deceased doesn't look to me like he was trying to plant it because the other officer is standing right there when he does it.
I am SO sick of the media identifying people by the color of their skin!!!

I am watching CNN's coverage of this incident and as usual they are omitting facts that do not fit with their narrative. Not being reported is the fact that the officers partner is African American. CNN is obscuring the video so this is not obvious.

Here is an unedited copy of the video: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=a34_1428447128

If in fact the white officer planted the taser next to the decedent he would have had to do this right in front of his AA partner (who is immediately on the scene).

What I notice from the beginning of the video is that there appears to have been a struggle over a weapon as we can see what appears to be a taser being thrown to the ground.

I am watching CNN's coverage of this incident and as usual they are omitting facts that do not fit with their narrative. Not being reported is the fact that the officers partner is African American. CNN is obscuring the video so this is not obvious.

Here is an unedited copy of the video: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=a34_1428447128

If in fact the white officer planted the taser next to the decedent he would have had to do this right in front of his AA partner (who is immediately on the scene).

What I notice from the beginning of the video is that there appears to have been a struggle over a weapon as we can see what appears to be a taser being thrown to the ground.

Yeah, the problem here is CNN. Sure. Might they not be wanting to show the body on the ground? They have cut off videos of violent crime in the past before. segmant from CNN.com. was this what they showed? Look, I would love if they showed the entire 4 minute video but is unlikely to happen just from a news production standpoint. News media shows highlights.

The other cop being black isn't relevant. He didn't shoot Mr. Scott or witness it.

SABBM

I have HAD IT with CNN and certain other media. Tell the truth !!!
Partly the reason I wandered over here to WS and stayed. I am looking for unbiased news.
Sorry for the rant.

From the start of the video, there seems to be a struggle and it looks like something falls to the ground beside the cop.
My personal opinion is that you should never run from a cop after being pulled over or stopped while walking on the sidewalk ; but this officer is in a lot of trouble.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-30...ting-ran-away-saying-did-felt-threatened.html

www.postandcourier.com/article/20150407/PC16/150409468

At the time, he ( Scott) was wanted for arrest on a Family Court warrant, Charleston County sheriff’s Maj. Eric Watson said Tuesday.

So this was more than just a missing tail light. Sounds like an outstanding warrant.

Does anyone here know what a police officer should do when a perp runs away during a struggle ? Wouldn't the best option be to call for backup and wait ?

:moo:

Yeah, the problem here is CNN. Sure. Might they not be wanting to show the body on the ground? They have cut off videos of violent crime in the past before. segmant from CNN.com. was this what they showed? Look, I would love if they showed the entire 4 minute video but is unlikely to happen just from a news production standpoint. News media shows highlights.

The other cop being black isn't relevant. He didn't shoot Mr. Scott or witness it.

Why I think it is relevant is the fact that if the other officer did in fact plant a weapon beside the decedent it could only have happened in the presence of his AA partner because as we see from the unedited video the partner is immediately on the scene. You could argue that he would be less likely to plant a weapon in the presence of an AA officer.

Running from a cop isn't the best idea but running does not make it okay to shoot someone. To shoot someone IN THE BACK. The officer had no reason the fear for his life. The VICTIM was running away unarmed.

If Mr. Scott was running away from the officer, how was he a threat? Inquiring mind wants to know.

SABBM

Does anyone here know what a police officer should do when a perp runs away during a struggle ? Wouldn't the best option be to call for backup and wait ?

:moo:

I think it would depend on the laws in SC. I remember during the MB case reading that in MO the law states that a LE officer can shoot a person fleeing from them if the person fleeing was a suspected felon. In the case of MB he had just committed a strong-arm robbery AND had assaulted an officer while trying to grab the officers weapon so in that case even if officer Wilson has shot MB in the back he would have been justified. If the law is the same in SC and there is evidence that the decedent tried to grab the officers weapon (and from the video it does appear that there was a struggle) the decedent could be seen as being a fleeing felon. If the laws in SC are the same as MO than perhaps the officer was legally justified (although it sure doesn't look good shooting someone in the back who is running away from you).

Running from a cop isn't the best idea but running does not make it okay to shoot someone. To shoot someone IN THE BACK. The officer had no reason the fear for his life. The VICTIM was running away unarmed.

WHY was he running from the cop in the first place? Obviously something went down prior to the portion of the video we can see. What was it?

JMO-Is there a main stream media report that the officer shot the victim 8 times "by mistake"?
I saw the video, can't see how that is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie