Missing Since: October 04, 1973 from Porter, Oxford County, Maine
Classification: Endangered Missing
Height: 5'7"
Weight: 130 lbs.
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Hazel
Race: White
Distinguishing Characteristics: Middle finger tip on unknown
hand had been smashed flat in an accident.
Clothing: Denim jacket, jeans and purple sweatshirt, sneakers.
Case Number: SP12-072441
Details of Disappearance
Roger was last seen at his residence in Porter making comments that he wanted to go to the Fryeburg Fair. Roger was never seen or heard from again. It is unclear if he made it to the fair.

Investigating Agency
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Maine State Police
207-657-3030

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/19117/126

Roger has been added to Doe Network.
4857DMME.jpg

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/4857dmme.html

http://unitedforayla.com/rodger-merton-day-missing-1973/

A few years ago, a basement dig was conducted in an effort to find any evidence of Roger Day but nothing was found. The reason investigators believed Roger may have been buried there was not released and the owner of the home was not identified.

A segment of the Maine State Police Major Crime Unit-South’s weekly highlight log of 1/21/13 (since removed) stated: “Detectives Farley and Keaten conducted a further search of a residence in Porter where it is believed ROGER DAY may be buried. DAY has been missing since 1973. They were assisted by an UMF Geology Professor who used a ground penetrating radar unit to survey the basement floor of the residence. The radar unit showed another abnormality in the basement floor. A second dig of the basement will be scheduled in the coming days.”

And the follow up on 2/4/2013; “Nothing further was found in the basement and the investigation continues. Detectives conducted interviews with family members and updated them on the case status.”

Maine cold case squad to start in October - Roger's disappearance is mentioned as one of the cold cases in Maine.

Charley Project

Family still searching for answers 40 years after boy went missing on his way to the Fryeburg Fair - October 2013

Roger Day disappearance a mystery 42 years later

http://www.wgme.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/iteam-roger-day-disappearance-mystery-42-years-later-29738.shtml#.VjNAJ_lViko

"We were just talking and he said, 'I'm not going to school today. I'm gonna skip school and go to the fair," said Roger's sister, Leigh Anne Weeks. "That was the last time I saw him."

That was exactly 42 years and 26 days ago, but Weeks remembers it well.

As the case went cold, life went on. Weeks said their mom kept busy and their dad did the only thing he could.

"He went to the fair every year looking for him, thinking maybe he went off with the carnies and he's there somewhere," she said.

Weeks believes her brother is no longer alive.

State police searched a property on Route 25 in 2013. According to Weeks, that property belonged to the neighbor accused of various sexual assaults. She said police only found old animal bones.

Roger Merton Day
4857DMME.jpg
4857DMME1.jpg

Case Classification: Missing
Missing Since: October 4, 1973
Location Last Seen: Porter, Oxford County, Maine

Date of Birth: April 22, 1971
Race: White
Height: 5'7"
Weight: 130 pounds
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Hazel
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Middle finger tip on unknown hand had been smashed flat in an accident

Clothing: Denim jacket, jeans, purple sweatshirt, and sneakers

Circumstances of Disappearance: Rodger was last seen at his residence in Porter making comments that he wanted to go to the Fryeburg Fair. Roger was never seen or heard from again. It is unclear if he made it to the fair.

Dentals: Not available
Fingerprints: Not available
DNA: Available

52 Unidentified Person Exclusions

UP5212 11/09/1974 Will IL
UP12854 05/23/2014 Cuyahoga OH
UP14901 11/14/1980 Cuyahoga OH
UP7980 05/08/1981 Cuyahoga OH
(48 others from Virginia)

he looks an awfully lot like “Sammy Swimsuit” boy (Dean Corll victim) IMO

Has he been compared with Swimsuit boy (unidentified)? There is an uncanny resemblance

i

Has he been compared with Swimsuit boy (unidentified)? There is an uncanny resemblance

Good question, but there would have to be an error with the date Roger went missing, because "Swimsuit boy" was found in August of 1973. Roger went missing in October 1973. The year would have to be wrong for the date Roger went missing. That seems very unlikely in this case but just my opinion. (I know it has happened before... but I think in cases where files were lost or someone wasn't reported missing right away, etc.)

Last edited:
Good question, but there would have to be an error with the date Roger went missing, because "Swimsuit boy" was found in August of 1973. Roger went missing in October 1973. The year would have to be wrong for the date Roger went missing. That seems very unlikely in this case but just my opinion. (I know it has happened before... but I think in cases where files were lost or someone wasn't reported missing right away, etc.)

The fair he went to was in October. They'd have to get his destination wrong to get the wrong month.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back