GUILTY HI - Carly Joann 'Charli' Scott, 27, pregnant, Makawao, 9 Feb 2014 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

los2188

North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
Reaction score
Carly Joann Scott
24698689_BG1.jpg
24698689_BG2.jpg

MAKAWAO, MAUI (Hawaiʻi NewsNow) -
Maui police are searching for a 27-year-old Makawao woman who is pregnant. Police say Carly Joann Scott was last seen Sunday evening (Feb. 9) at her sister's home in Haiku. She was reported missing Monday evening (Feb. 10) when her mother, Kimberly Scott, did not hear from Carly and went to Carly's home in Makawao but could not locate her.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/24698689/maui-police-search-for-missing-pregnant-woman

Media thread

Thread 1

Thread 2

I found the post with the copies of the two charges. Rereading them should do away with some of our recent speculation.

Lolo may have some information beyond the charges, but nothing is said here about arson to cover up a crime. In fact, the vehicle is not mentioned, only property valued over $500.

He does not need to have personally set the fire. "Caused" it to be burned also meets the element.
What I find odd is why only arson in the third degree, which is the least serious level of felony, class C. Second degree would have been property values at over $1,500, and a class B felony. How is a running car on Maui not worth more than $1,500?

That's a long, winding road and *I* wouldn't agree to a night drive down it without a convincing reason, particularly if I was "exhausted" and had to work in the AM.

I've often thought that SC gave her a little something to make her sleep, but many disagree with me.

I wonder if they had a special spot somewhere along Hana Hwy. Maybe Honomanu.
And her family didn't think she would agree either. The sleeping "potion" is possible just impossible to know without a confession. It would make it easier for him. OTOH I think it makes the overkill of his stabbing harder to understand, if she wasn't awake. Unless you think she was asleep part of the time but then woke up and protested.

It's a tough element to hinge a plan on, not knowing if she would say no when a drink was offered. Then what does he do if she says, no, I'm fine, I don't need anything?

It's a tough element to hinge a plan on, not knowing if she would say no when a drink was offered. Then what does he do if she says, no, I'm fine, I don't need anything?

So much of his plan hinged on her. First getting her to meet him that night.

How much did he plan ahead and how much did he leave to chance? What were all the elements he could control?

Well, if they were talking regularly, he likely knew she was going to her sister's birthday party in Haiku that night. For all anyone knows, they had already planned for her to stop by. She didn't discuss her contact with SC with her family, so doesn't mean anything that she didn't mention it.

Please continue here for Charli and Joshua

:rose:

Someone mentioned "no body" murder cases a while back and three CA cases came to mine immediately: 1. Hans/Nina Reiser - Hans was a brilliant computer programmer and entrepreneur. He was tried and convicted without a body, but following the verdict led police to his ex-wife Nina's body in return for a reduced sentence, 2. Jan/Hans Scharf - Jan's body was never found. Hans was convicted of first degree murder. The strongest evidence was that some of her jewelry was found in the front yard of one of Hans' girlfriends, a woman that Jan had never met, and 3. Sierra Lamar, whose accused killer, Antolin Garcia Torres is currently awaiting trial. Just thought I'd mention those. I'm sure there are a bunch of others.

Nina was found less than a mile from where her husband was living with his mother. Close and comfortable.

Haven't been here for awhile - is there court hearing date set? Has the trial started already and I missed it?

TIA! :wave:

:rose: Carly "Charli"

Hi Niner,
welcome back. The trial is set for Monday the 27th, two weeks exactly. However there is a motion to dismiss evidence that will be heard first, so I don't expect the actual trial I get going that soon, plus jury selection should be interesting.

Is there any source for exact date jawbone was found? I didn't find one. I think it would be in indictment?

Is there any source for exact date jawbone was found? I didn't find one. I think it would be in indictment?
Fri the 14th, the day after her clothes were found, five days after she disappeared on Sunday. I retraced the postings from that time when I worked on a timeline for my first posts here, and was able to piece the date together.

I remember at the time how the news came out about the bone and was considered a possible rumor but turned out to be true. It was March 7 I think that the police reclassified the case after forensic results came back and confirmed it was Charli. It took almost a month after the bone and tooth were found. Then the announcement that the bone was a jawbone came in July when the indictment came down.

Thank you Puakenikeni.

5 days.....Depending how location of the jawbone was processed there could be a lot more evidence from there public doesn't know. Hope MPD caught every last speck. MPD.............

Good crime forensics could analyze how many days jawbone was there before found?

Fri the 14th, the day after her clothes were found, five days after she disappeared on Sunday. I retraced the postings from that time when I worked on a timeline for my first posts here, and was able to piece the date together.

I remember at the time how the news came out about the bone and was considered a possible rumor but turned out to be true. It was March 7 I think that the police reclassified the case after forensic results came back and confirmed it was Charli. It took almost a month after the bone and tooth were found. Then the announcement that the bone was a jawbone came in July when the indictment came down.

At the time that the police reclassified the case as a homicide, I remember wondering what evidence they had that would allow them to do so. Police don't reclassify cases as homicide on a whim. This was a huge break in the case.

Yes, finding the jawbone, along with tooth or teeth and blood, that was the break. Without that he could still be free of the murder charge. How in the heck does he lose something like that while managing to move all the rest of her? Did it detach on its own because it is jointed? Because of trauma to her face? Had he broken it off? Was he working in the dark with pieces of her and did not see the vital piece slip out? How did the blanket figure in? Was she wrapped in it and dragged?

I don't believe he let it be found deliberately because he somehow wanted to be caught. He doesn't display any conscience or remorse or desire for punishment. His known motive was to keep his life free not imprisoned. He might want to taunt the family, but not with something that could put him away. Maybe just rushed and sloppy because afraid he would be seen.

For her family, I hope the evidence gives them some understanding of what he did, even though it is horrible.

Thanks so much, PeterTosh. I had not watched the news tonight or seen the paper.
I can't read the whole text of the linked Maui News article or find a cached version yet, but I have found this article from Star Advertiser that has more details than the HNN.
http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/...cops_didnt_state_his_rights.html?id=300360941

Anyone know what sort of self-incrimination SC may have uttered to the police, or where it may have led them?
I don't know all that much about Mirandizing rules, but I have a layman's sense that unless you are a suspect you are not routinely Mirandized, if at all. I wonder if asking for a polygraph crosses that line.

I'm actually relieved that the motion is not to suppress the physical evidence that was found and moved. Still, I wonder how much evidence would be considered fruit of the poison tree. The article says they did not inform SC that Nala had been found, like that was a problem. This makes me wonder if they caught him in a lie about Nala, something he wouldn't have said if he had know they had found the dog.

Even in my limited experience, Hawai'i police come on strong. I've had them wake me up and want to interview me because some burglary happened, and they are in "investigating" mode and whoever you are you need to cooperate whether it is convenient or not. And they don't say one way or another if you are a suspect even if I feel it is obvious I wouldn't be a suspect. I'm guessing SC had plenty of experience with the police, and was used to their tactics. I wouldn't be surprised if he walked away from that interview thinking, woohoo, they didn't read me my rights. They can't use that. Then hearing about Nala, he feels tricked. He commented in his interview with HNN that the police didn't tell him about finding the 4Runner, but then he admitted he was likely the prime suspect so they wouldn't be sharing with him. By that time of the press interview he had heard about Nala (this was later the same day he was interrogated at the station).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46