1296 users online (236 members and 1060 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Getting the random grey box/can't post or edit posts thing... again

This issue resolved for a while, but I've noticed its return around the same time as the new ads started invading half the screen etc.

Doesn't happen on any other site, so it's gotta be a WS issue. I'm in Australia, in case that might be a factor, re servers or whatnot. It is completely random, as far as I can tell. For example, I can post this, and edit this post. 5 mins ago, I couldn't post in any thread. Then I could post, but not edit the post. This happens on and off all day every day.

It makes posting a bit of a nightmare most days. Some help with that would be appreciated. I have no idea how it resolved last time, but I was very grateful when it happened.

If ads are "invading" half of your screen, then you should adust your resolution. Perhaps set your browser to zoom in only the text on a web page.

What kind of device are you using?
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

I have the exact same thing happen all the time. Sometimes can't even like a comment. It is only ws but I think it has to do with tap talk as well.

first things first.

You get to choose how many ads you are served. Want to see less ads, choose less posts per page. If you want more posts per page and can handle the ads, jack it up to 100.

In regards to your posting/edit problems. I have to assume that is on your end. It is certainly not related to the ads which were done 4 days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by giagreen View Post
    I have the exact same thing happen all the time. Sometimes can't even like a comment. It is only ws but I think it has to do with tap talk as well.

The thank you button issue which has been discussed to death is not the "exact same thing" as some unknown grey boxes that will not let you post or edit. Sure there is the empty js popup, but not related in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by bessie View Post
    Perhaps set your browser to zoom in only the text on a web page.
    You will find on many sites this no longer works, VB included.

I was actually talking about that one day where the ads that popped up and took up half the screen were in place.. they were only there for a day as far as I know.

Anyway, that's when the grey screen thing started back up also. It only happens with WS, I've cleared my cache, etc, still happens.

Last time I just ended up putting up with it until it went away, of what accord I don't know. I believe I'm not the only poster having this issue. Several other Aussie posters mentioned it last time, but I can't recall who.

Hi, please don't take this as nagging? But the grey box thing is making it pretty difficult for me to participate in the forum. So I'm wondering what's happening, if there's any solution in sight? Has the problem been identified? Anything?

Just to recap, for clarity:

-- This is only happening at WS, nowhere else. So it's not my end.

-- I'm NOT complaining about the ads. I pointed out that this problem started up again, around the time the new ad displays came into being. I offer this as a possible insight into what might be happening, that's all!

-- I'm not the only person affected by this. I've noticed several other users from Australia are currently having this problem, as was the case last time it happened. Again, I offer this as a possible clue to what's going on.

-- Clearing cookies/cache doesn't help. Tried it, nada. Same as last time.

-- If I refresh the page anywhere from 3-12 times, sometimes that helps. It did for this post, after 6 refreshes. Sometimes it doesn't help. Pot luck.

-- I'm not switching to IE, a/ I hate it, b/ so does my computer.

--I'm not demanding this be fixed right now! I'm just hoping for a response that acknowledges this IS actually a problem users are having, and perhaps some hope it might stop soon?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave AHFB View Post
    You will find on many sites this no longer works, VB included.
    So far, Dave, it still works fine for me in Firefox on WS and many other sites.
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

I have not seen any posts of others having this grey box. It is not that I am not believing you, the problem is I have no idea what grey box you are talking about. If others complained as well I could cross check info and narrow it down.

In short, I need more info. Please post a screen shot so I can have a visual.

Hello Dave,

Sorry it took me so long to find this, I haven't been here much lately. Another user with this issue (there's others but I'll have to post them as I find them again):

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...6#post11716566

The issue cleared up today before I thought to grab a screenshot. I'll do so the next time I'm on and it plays up. If it helps in the meantime, the box into which I type a message goes pale grey and no text can be entered. Posts cannot be edited, either, I get the same grey, empty box.

Sometimes hitting 'go advanced helps', bit I'm not sure if that's just because the screen refreshes, which also helps - if I refresh a lot, sooner or later a clear posting screen will appear.

Is this grey box in the quick reply area? if yes, only the quick reply area?

to verify you are not using IE?
    Last edited by Dave AHFB; 04-23-2015 at 04:49 PM.

Grey box of Doom:

Mostly in the quick reply box, though I think it's happened in advanced as well. I know hitting 'go advanced' hasn't always worked, so it must've. I think the fact 'go afvanced' refreshes the screen is probably why that works. Refreshing numerous times seems to get rid of it, but it's very annoying to have to do so.

Not using IE, my system hates it for some reason. And so do I.

Using FF, as always. I haven't had this issue for quite a while, but it has come up previously - again, mostly with Aussie posters, I noticed. Or maybe I just noticed the Aussie ones, idk.

Hmm, I am aware of this issue on IE9. Let me look into it.

problem

Hi guys,
    on the Australian William Tyrell pages and havnt been able to use quick reply, just stays unresponsive, so have to use advanced....thankyou
    xxx

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast