GUILTY OK - Eric Harris, 44, fatally shot by Tulsa Co. deputy, 2 April 2015

shadowraiths

LISK Liaison, Verified Forensic Psychology Special
Staff member
Reaction score
3202d77f.gif

Harris can be seen on the video running from police as the officer with the body cam gives chase, catching and taking Harris to the ground. Once on the ground the officer can be heard telling Harris, “Roll on your stomach now.”

Reserve officer Robert Bates, 73, can then be heard yelling “Tazer! Tazer!” as if to inform the other officer that he was about to use his stun gun on Harris, when suddenly a gunshot rings out.
“I shot him!” the stunned reserve officer says, as he drops his gun onto the ground. “I’m sorry.”

EYESR_zps1dff9e53.gif

link

THIS is the one where the guy meant to pull his taser and pulled his gun instead.
I totally believe the shooting was an accident (especially since he only shot once.)
I do think however, that perhaps we should look at a 73 year old being a cop of any kind. :twocents:
The behavior after the shooting... unfortunately doesn't surprise me. :dunno:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/04/us/tulsa-police-shooting/index.html

Deputy 'inadvertently' shoots suspect with gun, believing he was using Taser

A Tulsa County reserve deputy is on administrative leave after "inadvertently" shooting a suspect with his gun.
Reserve Officer Robert (Bob) Bates "inadvertently" fired gun in shooting
Reserve Officer Robert (Bob) Bates "inadvertently" fired gun in shooting
EXPAND IMAGE

Police say Robert (Bob) Bates, 73, thought he pulled out his Taser during an arrest, but instead shot the suspect, who later died at a local hospital.

Was the man putting up a fight when the officer intended to tazer him and shot him instead?

I get the impression that he was.
He was reaching for his waistband and wouldn't show his hand, which is why he was trying to use the taser.
He was also believed to be on drugs, possibly PCP.
He was also a convicted felon who had sold undercover cops a weapon.
So there were quite a few factors... this wasn't just a simple traffic stop or anything. :twocents:

My computer won't play the video. I keep getting an "oops!" message from AOL. GRRR The officer did make a big mistake by shooting the man instead of tazing him. However, considering the man's criminal record, the fact he was on drugs and selling guns to police, and ran and resisted arrest--the man caused his own demise. I can't feel too sorry for him. If he didn't commit crime, use drugs, and run from police, he would still be alive. The officer only shot him once and said he was sorry, so I would consider it an accident. However, I'm not able to see the video of anyone mocking the man. I'm just going by the written article. And at 73, the officer seems a bit old to still be doing active police work but I don't think that contributed to his mistake. I wish I could see the video though.

I think the biggest problem I have with this is a 73 year old volunteer deputy being armed to begin with.

I think he was reserve... don't know if that's the same as a volunteer.
However I think it is probably a bit old to be armed and taking down suspects. :twocents:
We have older volunteers in our town. They go around and do vin number checks and things like that.
They don't respond to calls, or do busts, or do undercover operations. :twocents:

The link to video in post #1 still plays for anyone wanting to view it.

It is a shame this happened - finding it hard to really fault the reserve deputy, however it does appear to me he had no reason to fire a taser or a gun at that moment - the incident had come to an end a few seconds before he fired. He would not have known that imo, so he should have kept the taser handy, but not fired it.

The person that was shot was already on the ground, one order to roll on his stomach had been given and was complied with (this can be heard but mostly not seen as the camera is askew. No further commands or shouts are heard - no reaching for his waistband, no suspicion of something in his hand(s). The reserve deputy runs up and fires.

The article deals with what the other deputies did after the shot. It was cowardly imo. No policing is evident. The shot man starts moving, and yelling out he's been shot. This is what could be expected imo. The deputies don't seem to get that - only then do they become enraged that he is moving again - after a few seconds of calm and no orders to lie still. One deputy puts his knee on the mans head and presses down - nasty and unnecessary - he's writhing in pain, not trying to get away - the camera becomes somewhat better aimed at this point. The man yells he can't breathe - a deputy yells back 'f*ck your breath'. F*ck your breath? What is that? Then the same or different deputy starts screaming at the guy that has been shot - you ran, swearing, etc. Non heroic bullying imo.

I don't doubt this is why charges have been laid. Charges have been laid against the wrong person, or not enough people imo. More cowardice imo. When the going got tough, they turned on a 73 year-old one of their own. But I guess as long as something is seen to be done, it will go away eventually. However, are people to think the same deputies won't over-react in the future?

Yes. Why?[/QUOTE

A life lost during one instant of time and it makes us question why? Why now? Why this instance? Why did he die so young, why couldn't he have survived? It seems so much opportunity is cut short. Why? A life no more on this earth. God bless his soul and his family and friends and mourn what he may have accomplished with his life here. God may take me today and if he does, I believe he will have his plan for doing so, but as for me, I have no answer for why?

I don't agree with this at all... wow.
If anyone should be charged it is the other officers there. :twocents:

I think the biggest problem I have with this is a 73 year old volunteer deputy being armed to begin with.

This! I'm pi***d at the shoot happy cops we seem to be having running amuk!

Lengthy and interesting on reserve LE, from Washington Post:

The 73-year-old reserve cop who mistook his gun for a Taser

"They get varying degrees of training and they help the local police, not just by patrolling with them, usually at no cost, but also sometimes by bringing their own equipment, including weapons."

That part is just scary. As is evident by so many of these type of stories, police training in this country is already terrible. Now they are giving badges and guns to reservists, who have even less training?

I also find it interesting that he was a cop for one year in 1964. That sounds like a pretty short time. I wonder what happened to his law enforcement career to end it while he was still a rookie?

I don't agree with this at all... wow.
If anyone should be charged it is the other officers there. :twocents:
ITA. I think it is very odd they're charging him, while ignoring the other officers' behavior.

CNN Police staff falsified Bates training. JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JR Rainwater
Back