GUILTY WI - Corina Burton, 29, found dead in mine shaft, Darlington, 10 Aug 2005

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
On Monday, Corina Voegeli-Burton wrote a letter to the court asking that a restraining order she requested against her former boyfriend be stopped.

It was stopped in Lafayette County Circuit Court on Tuesday.

Just hours later, Voegeli-Burton was dead and her former boyfriend, David E. Carpenter, 29, of rural Darlington, was being held in the Lafayette County Jail.
http://www.themonroetimes.com/o0812plc.htm

I only wish you knew the whole story... I'm not saying what he did was right what I am saying is that you don't have all of the facts to judge someone so harshly.

ce_jo said:
I only wish you knew the whole story... I'm not saying what he did was right what I am saying is that you don't have all of the facts to judge someone so harshly.
So what are all the facts? He had a right to kill her?

Why don't you tell us so we can judge for ourselves? What extenuationg circumstance could possibly justify killing the woman?

ce_jo said:

How is simply posting a link to the article "judging harshly?"

ce_jo said:

Welcome to WS! What we do here is to post links to stories that interest us, and sometimes we discuss them. When we don't have any additional info, sometimes we have to go only on what is in the article or try to read between the lines. We would be more than happy if you would give us additional information that you may know about the couple. So far, all we know is that there was an abusive boyfriend who talked or intimidated his girlfriend into dropping the restraining order, and now she is dead and the boyfriend is in jail. Those facts are what we will use in discussion, unless you choose to give us additional information.
We really would like to hear from you, if you actually have more info, but whether you wish to have that info known is up to you.

That's just is he wasn't an abusive boy friend. When she kicked him out he became possessive and wanted her back. I know that that is a fine line but in the two years that I knew them I had never seen him get mad at anything. And if you kept up to date in your searches you would have all of the facts but now the articles have timed out. I'm not saying that he didn't do it he did but I know him. I didn't judge him from an article before they even had all of the facts.

I am defiantly not saying what he did was right but I do think that he should be put into a mental institution before/during his prison sentence.

I did a search for some more info on this case.

Carpenter hinted at killing, record says

In the days leading up to Corina Voegeli-Burton's death, her ex-boyfriend made references to killing her to at least three people, according to records filed Monday in Lafayette County Circuit Court.
http://www.themonroetimes.com/o0830plc.htm

Charges in killing coming
Preliminary autopsy reports indicated Voegeli-Burton was strangled and appeared to have been a victim of a sexual assault at the time of her death.

Carpenter pleaded not guilty Aug. 23 to criminal damage to property, a class A misdemeanor, and unlawful use of a telephone, a class B misdemeanor.

The charges stem from two incidents which occurred Aug. 9. in which Carpenter allegedly shot at and damaged a pickup truck owned by Keith Whitcomb, Jr., while it was parked at Voegeli-Burton's residence. Court records indicate Carpenter left a threatening message on Whitcomb's phone that same day.
http://www.themonroetimes.com/o0829lcm.htm

Carpenter makes court appearance

A Darlington man suspected in the murder of his former girlfriend appeared in court Tuesday for two misdemeanor charges in a separate incident. He has not been charged in the murder.

Court records indicate Whitcomb was at Voegeli-Burton's home Aug. 9 when they heard a noise outside at about 11:15 p.m. Whitcomb later told officers he thought the sound was thunder. Whitcomb told officers he left Voegeli-Burton's home around 11:30 p.m.

Whitcomb also reported Carpenter left a threatening message on his phone.

The next morning, Whitcomb tried to call Voegeli-Burton but was not able to reach her. He later discovered a bullet hole in the side of his truck.

Carpenter was taken into custody Aug. 10 and held as a person of interest in the death of Voegeli-Burton, 29, whose body was discovered in an abandoned mine shaft Aug. 10 west of Wood Road in Darlington township, several hours after she was reported missing.
http://www.themonroetimes.com/o0824lcm.htm

ce_jo said:
That's just is he wasn't an abusive boy friend. When she kicked him out he became possessive and wanted her back. I know that that is a fine line but in the two years that I knew them I had never seen him get mad at anything. And if you kept up to date in your searches you would have all of the facts but now the articles have timed out. I'm not saying that he didn't do it he did but I know him. I didn't judge him from an article before they even had all of the facts.

I am defiantly not saying what he did was right but I do think that he should be put into a mental institution before/during his prison sentence.

Hon at a guess, I would say he was someone important to you. And you are now upset at what happened and worried about what will happen to him.
Unfortunately, people who love people who have committed criminal acts get hurt too. He was an adult and whatever he did, you had no control over. Whatever he did, doesn't change how you feel about him. And you should continue to love and be supportive to him.
For all I know he was a very nice guy, but unfortunately even nice guys and girls can act in pretty extreme ways during a breakup. If you are very close to Mr. Carpenter, maybe you could speak to his attorney about your concerns- see if there is anything he can do about getting care for him.

From July 2006:

http://host.madison.com/news/local/...cle_704285f8-6428-5f9e-99a2-104516a9a740.html

A judge sentenced a man to 40 years in prison, followed by 20 years of extended supervision, on charges in the sexual assault and strangulation of his former girlfriend, whose body was found hidden at the top of an abandoned mine shaft.

David E. Carpenter, 30, of Darlington, had pleaded guilty in May to charges of first-degree reckless homicide, third-degree sexual assault and hiding a corpse and had stalking charges against him dropped.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back