TN - Adrienne Smiddy, 29, pregnant, Nashville, April 2005

ShowerSinger

Reaction score
Tennessee.
Apparent homicide victim.
I can't get a link to work. Maybe someone here, can. I never even heard she was missing. Very sad.
Her decomposing body was found July 13th, in a wooded area. Her body had been there apporximately a month before being discovered.

Metro detectives are "virtually certain" that the decomposing body discovered July 13 on wooded land at 3505 Whites Creek Pike is that of Adrienne Anne Smiddy, 29, according to a statement released by Metro police yesterday.

"Detectives learned that Smiddy was several months pregnant," the statement said. "The Medical Examiner's Office confirms that the remains of a fetus were found with the larger body."
http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050813/NEWS01/508130344/1006/NEWS

It seems as though this young lady wasn't even reported missing. I can't find a thing else, about her. How very sad. No background, family reports, pleadings for help in finding her? I'm very saddened by this, and will pray for her, and her unborn child. May justice be served.

It seems that everytime we turn around a pregnant woman has been murdered. It is just horrible. I wonder why we have never heard of this young lady? Guess they better start looking for a husband, boyfriend or ex-boyfriend. Seems like they are on a roll these days. Guess they don't bother with the news or they would know that they don't usually get away with it.

Wow, I live just below Nashville and I never heard about this poor lady either. How sad. Prayers for her and her poor baby. :(

She was my dear friend's sister.

Adrienne had the mental capacity of a 12 year old and ran away from her home in Kentucky a few years ago to live on the streets of Nashville and occasionally in a shelter. She kept in contact with her familiy every three months or so and they continued to love her and support her, praying that one day her call would let them know she wanted to come home. She even tried to come home in 2004 but, after a short stay, wanted to return to her friends. As much as they didn't want to, they had to let her go. I am not sure of the last time they heard from Adrienne but they were not aware of her pregnancy.

Adrienne's sister (my friend) got married in June. Although my friend wanted her sister there, she knew that it was not likely for Adrienne to show up. Little did she know Adrienne's actual whereabouts. My friend wanted her new husband to meet her sister so he'd know how funny and loving she was. Now he will never get that chance.

What my friend and her family are struggling with most is that they were unaware she was even missing. It breaks their hearts to know she was alone and unnoticed for so long. She was murdered around April (Adrienne's birthday month), alone and unmissed until July. None of her freinds said a word about her disappearance. Her family was not even alerted to the situation until August 11 when I believe people around her knew how to contact the family and could have done so earlier. My friend's mother received a phone call from the police out of the blue to tell her about her daughter's murder. Although they are gradually getting their lives back together, they have yet to be able to acquire Adrienne's remains. Once that happens, they will have to go through the entire grieveing process again. As of today, August 27, they have yet to get her back.

Adrienne was a mother.
Adrienne was a daughter.
Adrienne was a twin.
Adrienne was a sister.
Adrienne was an aunt.
Adrienne was a friend.
Adrienne was loved.
Adrienne was missed.

Adrienne is loved.
Adrienne is missed.

Please pray for her and her family as they struggle to live their lives without her and with so many questions left unanswered. They are attempting to make sense of this heinous crime...was there any sense to it?

I do hope that her family will receive her soon and that their questions will be answered. Prayers for Adrienne and her little unborn child.

eduk8or said:
She was my dear friend's sister... Please pray for her and her family as they struggle to live their lives without her and with so many questions left unanswered...
Thanks for the note. I can only imagine the pain and sorrow that Adrienne's family is going through. They are in my thoughts and prayers.

eduk8or I want to welcome you to Websleuths, but I hate the reason you came here for. Your friend's family will sadly be going through some very trying times for a while. It is a heartbreaking situation. I am assuming that her death was not from natural causes? Do they have any suspects? Please keep us updated as to what is happening with your friend's sister.
PS- she wasn't unmissed even before July- her family missed her, but just wasn't able to know what happened.

I have never posted to a message board before this one but I just wanted to bring awareness to this particular incident.

So much of what I have read in the paper or on the Internet about this and a clip that I saw from a news channel in Nashville seem to bash the family. They wonder why she was never reported missing and it seems to me as though they are sending the message that she had noone. That could not be farther from the truth. Adrienne had a wonderful, supportive and loving family in Kentucky. They loved her so much that they supported her decision to stay away from home even though they knew it was a terrible choice.They prayed for her safe return, now they will have to live for the rest of their lives. She will return to them, just not how they would have preferred. And Adrienne loved her family, too.

Also, I believe that the media has just dropped this story instead of giving an update on her case to those who have connected to it such as those of you who have posted on this website. Also, nothing has even been adressed about her murder in her hometown of Kentucky. Her friends here don't even know she is missing. When her family runs into one of Adrienne's friends, they have to relive the horror of what happened to her and tell them about her murder. Sure she isn't as classically beautiful as Natalie Holloway but she is a human and deserves coverage, too. I know that Adrienne's family wants people to know about her case, they just don't have the emotional steadiness to really discuss it now.

Thanks for all of the prayers and kind words. I will convey them to Adrienne's family.

This is such a sad, sad, story. I am sorry for the loss of a wonderful young woman and her baby. You might try contacting the police or the family might try contacting the police and the media about this death. With Adrienne's mental capacity being that as it was, perhaps someone from the media would be willing to look into the situation. It will not bring her and her baby back but might force LE to look into this death more deeply. We don't need another murderer walking around free.

thoughts and prayers with you and your friend's family.

I'm really glad that you came to this thread and explained what the real story was. It is nice when someone knows the victim and can make them real to us.

My heart goes out to Adrienne's family. Letting her go twice to live on her own had to be the hardest decision of their lives. I'm sure that they would rather have kept her home so they could protect her from people like she probably met on the streets. Her friends on the street might not have realized that something awful had happened to her. I would imagine that people living on the street are here and there and might seperate from their friends to go off with other friends now and then. They probably didn't think anything about Adrienne being gone for a period of time. She might have done that before but always came back after a week or two, etc.

What a horrible thing... to receive a phone call saying that your daughter had been murdered. If her friends had a way to contact her family then the cops could have gotten that information and contacted the police in your area and sent someone in person to inform the family. Over the phone is a cold way to learn something like that. It is hard enough to hear it in person but over the phone!!!! I guess it was better then on the news like has happened to some familys. Doesn't say much for the police in the town Adrienne lived in though.

I wonder why they aren't releasing her body? You would think that once they had collected what evidence there was to be found there would be no reason to keep her body. Has her family contacted the Cornor in that town? What excuse are the police giving?

Adrienne's family could contact the local paper and ask that an article be printed about Adrienne's death. I'm sure they would do that. If there were an article in the paper it would make it easier for her parents when they have to go out in public. I will say though...when a death is the result of a murder you can't go anywhere in public without running into people who want an update or to know all of the details. People who care and people who just want to be able to say they have the inside scoop alike. I don't mean to sound so negative but I've been there and you can't get away from it and it is very difficult. Most people are sincere but it is emotionally draining to say the least.

I sincerely hope that they find out who did this to this poor girl. Every family deserves justice for their loved one. If they can find the killer he can be charged with murder x 2...I hope...and for taking advantage of a mentally handicapped person. That should keep him locked up for many years if not forever.

This family will need a lot of prayers and support. I hope they have supportive friends and that their family is close. Prayers coming from here for sure.

Hi- don't know if this has been posted yet- I can't find it anywhere.

Hopefully there will be justice for Adrienne!

*snip*

September 28, 2005Detectives tonight charged Marshall Wayne Frey with criminal homicide for the beating death of a female friend who was eight months pregnant.
The decomposing body of Adrienne Anne Smiddy, 29, along with the remains of her fetus, were discovered July 13 on wooded land in the 3500 block of Whites Creek Pike. A tip to investigators led to her identification in August. Also during August, Frey, who was wanted in Nashville on unrelated burglary, robbery and kidnapping charges, was extradited back here following his arrest in Jacksonville, Florida.

The investigation of Smiddy’s death by Detectives Danny Satterfield and Barry Burk led to the realization that Frey was likely involved. During interviews with Satterfield and Burk this week, Frey admitted that he was responsible for fatally beating Smiddy with a rock in the area where the remains were found. Frey, who apparently was not the father of the fetus, had been involved in a dating relationship with Smiddy. He admitted to killing her during an argument over her decision to break off the relationship.

Frey, 30, who also uses the name Steven Phillips, was homeless prior to his arrest. He is being held without bond.

http://www.police.nashville.org/news/media/2005/09/28a.htm

Pictures at link.

I can't seem to find anything further on this. Maybe one of you super-sleuths can help?

JellyBean

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieSnoop1975
Back