'Hollywood Lion' P22 is trapped under Los Feliz home

zwiebel

Reaction score
P22, (Puma 22) a Los Angeles mountain lion who became known as the Hollywood Lion after crossing two highways to make his home in Griffith Park, is stuck in the crawl space of a Los Feliz home tonight.

Last year, P22 was spotted covered in mange and appearing in very poor condition in the park, but by the end of the year, wildlife officials had managed to get treatment into him and he was in superb condition.

Monday, men working at a Los Feliz home entered the crawl space and came eyeball-to-eyeball with P22 happily resting in the shade there. The saga to get him out went on all day and half the evening Monday and involved pinging tennis balls and bean bags, lifting bits of the crawl space and, of course, a very heavy media presence including noisy helicopters. Unsurprisingly, P22 was afraid to come out and officials have now asked media to stand back and have left him overnight, to see if he'll exit on his own.

Wildlife conservationists have been getting very upset at what they feel is media hampering rescue efforts to get their photos, so I think it's best (for the lion's sake) not to link articles that have used them. Which is all of them, sadly. :(They are all easily found using a search for P22 mountain lion though.

Here is a link to the twitter feed of Beth Pratt, California director of the National Wildlife Federation, who has been following P22's case for three years and has a tattoo of him on her arm. I am really hoping that sometime before daybreak in LA, she'll be tweeting news to make us smile that P22's escaped to safety. :)

https://mobile.twitter.com/bethpratt/tweets

Here is a link to an older article and photo of P22, before he got stuck.
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-griffith-park-p22-mountain-lion-20141204-story.html

Attachments

• 750x422.jpeg
    750x422.jpeg
    74 KB · Views: 29
Well, I expect they will tranquilize and remove him before he reaches any serious health issue. Do they feed him in the park or does he just catch squirrels and stuff? He's a beautiful animal and looks well fed in that picture.

Oh dear, I'm not the person to ask about what carnivores eat. I'm a vegetarian. Hate to even think about squirrels being eaten. :(

Now he's safely gone and it won't cause him any harm, I can post a pic of our boy hiding out in the crawl space.

Robert Kovacik (@RobertNBCLA) tweeted at - 14 Apr 15:

#P22: "He looks magnificent.* Mange has cleared. --City of LA Animal Services. pic.twitter.com/3DPyTwqCkM (https://twitter.com/RobertNBCLA/status/587811329064308736?s=17)

Attachments

• CChTShHUIAAKmHM.jpg
    CChTShHUIAAKmHM.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 18
This is definitely news to smile about now!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back