MO MO - Shirley McKeown, 71, Kansas City, 24 Aug 2002

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
Shirley McKeown was 71 when she vanished Aug. 24, 2002. Police found her car 10 days later with enough of her blood inside that the medical examiner said she could not have survived. Police are investigating the disappearance as a homicide.

“There are people out there who know who did this, and they are letting them run free,” Bridget McKeown said while meeting with reporters to generate renewed interest in the case. “I don’t know why.”

Family and friends have contributed a $10,000 reward for information leading to an arrest. Anyone with information is asked call the TIPS Hotline at (816) 474-TIPS (474-8477).

McKeown, 45, believes her mother was attacked as she headed to her house. Police found her mother’s car, a Cadillac, hidden by a tarp and tree branches near 33rd Street and Highland Avenue in Kansas City. Detectives questioned an 18-year-old man who had been driving the car and had some of the woman’s possessions. But he has not been charged in the case.
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/local/12372853.htm

Shirley McKeown disappeared while driving to her daughter's house on Aug. 24, 2002. Two weeks later, her white Cadillac was found under a tarp several blocks from her home.

Due to the large amount of blood inside the vehicle, the case became a homicide. However, McKeown's body was never found.
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/kmbc/20050812/lo_kmbc/2876807

http://kcmo.gov/police/families-ask-for-help-finding-bodies-of-their-loved-ones/

Shirley McKeown, age 70, left her home at 9129 E. 44th St. on the morning of Aug. 24, 2002. She was never seen again. Her car, however, was located Sept. 3, 2002, abandoned at 33rd and Highland with a very large amount of blood inside. DNA testing confirmed it to be Shirley’s. The car was hidden behind trees and covered with a tarp. The personalized Missouri license plates, “MCQ-N,” had been removed, and police have never recovered them.

Surely someone in Kansas City knows what happened to Shirley McKeown and can anonymously provide that information to police. The family deserves some peace.

The Trace Evidence podcast show recently made an excellent podcast about this case.

‎Trace Evidence: 160 - The Disappearance of Shirley McKeown on Apple Podcasts

I live in Kansas City (within 15 minutes from the area in question) and am an avid antiquer, so this case has struck a nerve for me.

If there is anything that I can do or information that I can provide, being in the region, please let me know.

Bridget McKeown, the daughter of Shirley McKeown, isn’t hopeful yet. She felt dismissed when she reported her mother missing in 2002. Ten days later, police found her mother’s car abandoned and covered by a tarp. There was what police called “a large amount of blood inside.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back