Mark Smich: Innocent Dupe? Alternative Theories

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sillybilly

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
TORONTO – Mark Smich was formally charged with first degree murder Thursday morning in connection with the death of Tim Bosma.

Bosma disappeared after taking two men – who police allege to be Smich and Dellen Millard – on a test drive of his 2007 Dodge Ram pickup truck.

http://globalnews.ca/news/585372/who-is-mark-smich/

A connection between the two men arrested in the death of Tim Bosma has emerged with the discovery of a photograph of the pair together beside a blue car.

In the photo posted on a social-media website, Dellen Millard, 27, who was arrested on May 12, appears to be getting into the driver’s seat of a late 1960s or early 1970s Chevrolet, while Mark Smich, 25, who was arrested on Wednesday, stands nearby on the driveway of Mr. Smich’s home in Oakville, a town 30 minutes west of Toronto.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ree-murder-in-tim-bosma-case/article12090623/

An hour’s drive away, Mark Smich sits in a matching orange jumpsuit in segregation at the Toronto East Detention Centre in Scarborough, where the Spectator visited him Wednesday morning.

He wears a matching orange jumpsuit. Here, he is separated from visitors by both glass and metal bars.

Smich has been at this jail since Aug. 26, when he was transferred from the Niagara Detention Centre. There, he says, they kept putting him in segregation.

Smich says he will get in touch when the time is right — “when I get out of here or however this works out,” he said. But for now, he said, “I have nothing to say.”

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...y_they_want_to_tell_their_story_but_cant.html

Why didn't LE capture him earlier. He doesn't seem like a genius to me. I think the only thing police had on him were his prints in the Yukon and Sharlene's description. Did he kill TB? Did he kill Laura and then commit petty bs crimes like spray graffiti?

Why didn't LE capture him earlier. He doesn't seem like a genius to me. I think the only thing police had on him were his prints in the Yukon and Sharlene's description. Did he kill TB? Did he kill Laura and then commit petty bs crimes like spray graffiti?
Agreed Matou. I think the part I can't figure out is how MS is tied into the LB case when there's never been mention of this guy in the LB circles or in MSM. I'm sure LE have grounds for the charge, just as they do with DM, so if that's the case and he was involved, and if DM knew or even thought MS was the last person LB saw, and DM was just an outstanding citizen, why would DM have MS staying at his house. If MS was the true criminal and was the mastermind, why isn't he being implicated in WM's death, even though he was living right in the same house? IMHO, this isn't adding up. MOO
And on another note, if DM even suspected MS as being involved in LB's disappearance, why wouldn't he have informed LE- not only after publicity around LB's disappearance, but after WM's death while this guy was in the basement? MOO

When was that gory music video made?

The only thing I can think of that is different between the murders is that LB and TB were allegedly murdered away from their homes where WM was found inside his home. Which means they were possibly "confined" for lack of a better word, and held against their will before meeting their demise. Now if 2 people are involved in the confinement of an individual, meaning they could not leave, and they end up deceased, are they both not equally responsible? I believe we saw that in the Tori Stafford case?

MOO

So Smich stars in a gory music video right before wayne millard is killed? After Laura is murdered. Yet is not charged with wayne's death. Something is off about this.

So Smich stars in a gory music video right before wayne millard is killed? After Laura is murdered. Yet is not charged with wayne's death. Something is off about this.

On a FB page that isn't allowed to be linked here, there is a screenshot of MS's FB showing a still from the music video and the date it was posted - May 1, 2012. The video might not have been released until Halloween, but it appears to have been filmed at least several months before.

Just bringing this here to the appropriate thread. HTH. It's a possibility MS is an innocent dupe. JMO.

It is realistic to assume MS may have been set up by DM. He did it in such ways that if LE ruled these cases murders, MS would take the fall. MS was a petty criminal who was dumb enough to get caught doing petty crimes. I am apt to believe DM was a leader type and MS seems to fit into the follower mould. Do I think MS followed DM? Very likely. DM had money, he had charm, he had the hangar, toys, women, maybe more intelligence than MS, the flop house. MS probably admired DM and was enthralled he found himself a good buddy who was uppity up compared to himself. DM likely used MS to get him drugs, guns, anything he knew was against the law, MS would be his fall guy.

Who has been charged with WM's death? DM. Why hasn't MS been charged with WM's murder? Because he wasn't involved, that's why. I think it's highly plausible DM killed him father setting it up to look like a suicide and had his set up failed and it took on the appearance of murder, I bet DM would have tried to throw MS under the bus. Coincidentally MS was living in WM's basement at the time of his murder, but then left and returned to his mother's house. Did he feel something was off about DM and had his suspicions? How did DM acquire the gun? Through MS?

DM has framed MS in such a way for LB's and TB's murders, LE believe he was involved also. Was MS under the impression DM was interested in buying a Dodge truck and he was just along for the rides? Maybe MS did hop into DM's Yukon at the end of TB's laneway and went his own way having plans to meet up later. Did MS even know LB was murdered or just missing until he was charged? I can certainly see MS being duped. TWT.

DM having no past criminal record means diddly squat. We all know cases where murderers had no past criminal record prior to their murder convictions. E.i., RW, MR, PB, to name a few Canadian cases. So that point is moot. ALL MOO.

How does TB's body being found on DM's farm and TB's truck found in DM's mothers driveway frame MS?

How does LB's last calls being made to DM frame MS?

Just because we aren't privy to the evidence leading to MS's charges, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

Why is it so imperative that only one of the accused is actually guilty?

Totally agree.

IMHO, Swedie's is more realistic.
# 1- MS couldn't even do graffiti without getting busted, DM seemed to be surrounded by all sorts of illicit stuff and never got his angel wings clipped.
#2 LB called DM- not MS and there's no mention of MS by SL. DM lied to SL about speaking with LB. DM had a relationship with LB and there's nothing indicating that MS knew LB.
#3 MS has not been charged with the death of WM- even though he was living at the house.
#4 MS was not alone with TB- LE has indicated MS was driving the Yukon. DM was alone with TB. and LE have stated that TB's truck was spotted in Brantford- not TB's truck and the Yukon.
#5 MWJ is up on charges for selling DM a gun to kill WM.
#6 MS did not own the farm, the incinerator or the hangar. DM did.

IMHO, there's a common denominator here and it's not MS. Back to the beginning- without a body in the LB case, I wonder how MS is tied to this crime. MOO

I can't agree that it would be more realistic that MS was set up and framed by DM. And I also don't picture MS as the little lost puppy hiding in the basement with his bong. I've seen nothing to indicate that and it doesn't match my experience with these types of groups of people. JMO

#1 - I haven't seen DM surrounded by "all sorts" of illicit stuff prior to these charges. We have no proof of a chop shop and millions of young adults participate in parties and have experimented with drugs.

#2 - If you were looking for a place to stay along with those drugs, would you ask the guy you were or had been sleeping with, or his buddy? I'd have to go back and find SL's earlier comments before making a judgement on whether DM "lied". I do remember SL said something about that DM said there weren't that many calls until he was confronted with the bills, and that SL said that MSM misquoted him about the type of drugs LB was allegedly looking for. I'm not quite remembering how this went and will check back when I have time.

#3 - Your #3 still surprises me. Not knowing what any of the evidence is against DM either, it remains to be seen.

#4 - LE did not indicate that MS was driving the Yukon. Nor did they indicate that either one was alone with TB. Kavanagh was asked about the third suspect and he responded that they did not know if there was a third suspect or if MS perhaps got out of TB's truck or what happened, at that point of the investigation. They were not ruling out any possibilities.

#5 - I know it has been alleged that MWJ sold a gun to DM, but I've seen nothing to indicate what or if that gun had been used in anyone's death. I think you are assuming that for the simple reason that WM died of a gunshot wound. MWJ is alleged to have sold the gun between June 1st and July 31st of 2012. That timing would seem to relate more to LB's death than WM's, but we have no idea either way.

#6 - All the more reason that it is not realistic to think that MS is an innocent dupe. There is no way that planting a body and a truck on DM's properties would serve to implicate MS in the crime in any way.

All JMO.

I can't agree that it would be more realistic that MS was set up and framed by DM. And I also don't picture MS as the little lost puppy hiding in the basement with his bong. I've seen nothing to indicate that and it doesn't match my experience with these types of groups of people. JMO

#1 - I haven't seen DM surrounded by "all sorts" of illicit stuff prior to these charges. We have no proof of a chop shop and millions of young adults participate in parties and have experimented with drugs.

#2 - If you were looking for a place to stay along with those drugs, would you ask the guy you were or had been sleeping with, or his buddy? I'd have to go back and find SL's earlier comments before making a judgement on whether DM "lied". I do remember SL said something about that DM said there weren't that many calls until he was confronted with the bills, and that SL said that MSM misquoted him about the type of drugs LB was allegedly looking for. I'm not quite remembering how this went and will check back when I have time.

#3 - Your #3 still surprises me. Not knowing what any of the evidence is against DM either, it remains to be seen.

#4 - LE did not indicate that MS was driving the Yukon. Nor did they indicate that either one was alone with TB. Kavanagh was asked about the third suspect and he responded that they did not know if there was a third suspect or if MS perhaps got out of TB's truck or what happened, at that point of the investigation. They were not ruling out any possibilities.

#5 - I know it has been alleged that MWJ sold a gun to DM, but I've seen nothing to indicate what or if that gun had been used in anyone's death. I think you are assuming that for the simple reason that WM died of a gunshot wound. MWJ is alleged to have sold the gun between June 1st and July 31st of 2012. That timing would seem to relate more to LB's death than WM's, but we have no idea either way.

#6 - All the more reason that it is not realistic to think that MS is an innocent dupe. There is no way that planting a body and a truck on DM's properties would serve to implicate MS in the crime in any way.

All JMO.

1. BBM- So you know him? Or are you referring to the information in the MSM? We know there is a huge lack of information in the MSM. Just because it hasn't been published, doesn't mean it didn't happen. I'm likely to think the information in the MSM is fairly close to the truth even though DM claims it doesn't match up with the discovery he's been given. Psst...I think he's trying to throw people off, that's all ;)

2. LB may have known MS. Could he have been who she went to for drugs? Could it be she couldn't get in touch with MS so her next contact was DM? Just because MS's number didn't show up on LB's cell phone invoice, there are other ways people can get in touch with one another.

3. Interesting how the finger seems to point more so at DM than MS. His hangar, his farmland, he purchased an illegal gun, him driving during test drives, his Yukon, his mother's driveway, etc. All we have on MS is he was a petty criminal who made a gore music video and some neighbours avoided the young punk.

4. Likely close to the truth IMO. Police earlier alleged the two men climbed into Bosma’s 2007 Dodge Ram and were then followed by a second car — Millard’s dark blue GMC Yukon. A third suspect was believed to be the person driving that second car. Kavanagh now says police are not sure whether Smich, who is said to have been in the back seat of the truck while Millard was driving, exited that vehicle after leaving Bosma’s home and got into the driver’s seat of the Yukon.

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2...rd_suspect_exists_lead_investigator_says.html

5. LE are likely spot on with this. Do they actually make this stuff up? I highly doubt it. After months of investigating, likely not. TWT. BTW I believe journalists have to use words such as alleged until a verdict has been handed down. According to the Hamilton Spectator, police believe Mr. Ward-Jackson, Matthew Odlum and Matthew Jackson Wawrykiewicz, sold Dellen Millard the gun he allegedly used to kill his father.

http://news.nationalpost.com/toront...-accused-of-selling-him-alleged-murder-weapon

6. DM thought he would get rid of all the evidence and not get caught. Or if the thought crossed his mind, what if, maybe DM's plan was to claim MS tried to frame him by planting evidence on his property? Obviously he ran out of time while trying to cover his tracks and get rid of evidence. If MS didn't know DM murdered TB that night, I guess DM was on his own to sort out his own mess then wasn't he? All that takes time to carry out. TB's disappearance was front page news and on everyone's radio and television. Everyone was on the lookout for clues to do with TB and his truck. Wouldn't you assume DM may have been paranoid someone may be watching/tracking him, making his tasks harder to complete? This is why evidence was found on his property, he ran out of time.

Nah, I think we'll see an abundance of evidence to show DM is a serial killer and he set it up IF discovered, evidence to make it appear MS was involved, but that's ALL JMO.

So, did DM have a black GMC truck?

Did DM steal someone's GMC for carrying out criminal activities such as the theft of MM's trailer and Harley or any other chopped vehicles LE allegedly found in the hangar?

I can see MS going along with vehicle thefts but petty criminals typically don't turn into serial murderers do they? :thinking: MOO.

All JMO.
IMHO, DM wasn't trying to cast blame on MS when DM was trying to get rid of the evidence- DM was obviously feeling the heat and just trying to get rid of anything that could point to him. MOO Or, are we to assume that MS drove the truck to DM's mothers house as well? Or somehow find his way out to a remote area of Ayre to fire up the incinerator that DM just happened to have there? MOO These are all things that DM could have done by himself and there's been nothing released to indicate that MS even worked at the Hangar or knew where the farm was.
As far as the gun used in the WM murder:

According to the Hamilton Spectator, police believe Mr. Ward-Jackson, Matthew Odlum and Matthew Jackson Wawrykiewicz, sold Dellen Millard the gun he allegedly used to kill his father.

http://news.nationalpost.com/toront...-accused-of-selling-him-alleged-murder-weapon

And is denying the same thing as lying?

“First, he denies all the calls: ‘Maybe we spoke once or twice, but definitely not eight times.’ Flat-out denies it,” Mr. Lerner recalled. “Then I showed him the phone bill and his tone totally changed: ‘Okay, yeah, we spoke. She was looking for drugs and for a place to stay,’ and he denied her on both of those requests. And then he just had to go. He was in a rush – had to go.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/what-if-game-haunts-babcock-friend/article18832997/

"He had to go." Go rush home to get a story together I'm sure. And to get his plane tickets and passport ready for Croatia and Greece.

Were MS and his gf living in DM's basement in early July and Aug 2012 when Laura went missing? Was he there while DM was travelling though Europe with friends and family?

IMHO, DM wasn't trying to cast blame on MS when DM was trying to get rid of the evidence- DM was obviously feeling the heat and just trying to get rid of anything that could point to him. MOO Or, are we to assume that MS drove the truck to DM's mothers house as well? Or somehow find his way out to a remote area of Ayre to fire up the incinerator that DM just happened to have there? MOO These are all things that DM could have done by himself and there's been nothing released to indicate that MS even worked at the Hangar or knew where the farm was.
As far as the gun used in the WM murder:

According to the Hamilton Spectator, police believe Mr. Ward-Jackson, Matthew Odlum and Matthew Jackson Wawrykiewicz, sold Dellen Millard the gun he allegedly used to kill his father.

And is denying the same thing as lying?

“First, he denies all the calls: ‘Maybe we spoke once or twice, but definitely not eight times.’ Flat-out denies it,” Mr. Lerner recalled. “Then I showed him the phone bill and his tone totally changed: ‘Okay, yeah, we spoke. She was looking for drugs and for a place to stay,’ and he denied her on both of those requests. And then he just had to go. He was in a rush – had to go.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/what-if-game-haunts-babcock-friend/article18832997/

I tried to keep things in the same order from the other thread, but it seems to be getting a little confusing anyway lol.

When a poster asked why it was realistic to believe that MS is completely innocent of both murder charges, Swedie had suggested that MS was just an innocent dupe and that DM had framed him for the murders. You said you found her suggestion more realistic than the other way around for the six reasons listed. Now I'm not sure what you're saying. That you agree MS could be completely innocent, but that he wasn't framed?

Thanks for the link about the gun. That National Post article seems to be the only one that mentions this. It says "according to the Hamilton Spectator", but there is no link to the Spectator article and one is not coming up in a search for me. Has the Spectator retracted the article?

Denying isn't necessarily the same thing as lying. He admitted they spoke once or twice, just not eight times. SL's wording is not very clear in that quote. Did he deny all the calls? Or did he deny that there were eight calls? Did he "flat-out deny" that there were any calls at all, or just that there were 8 calls? Most of those calls were very short. If he didn't answer them all, he could very well have not been aware there were that many.

JMO

1. BBM- So you know him? Or are you referring to the information in the MSM? We know there is a huge lack of information in the MSM. Just because it hasn't been published, doesn't mean it didn't happen. I'm likely to think the information in the MSM is fairly close to the truth even though DM claims it doesn't match up with the discovery he's been given. Psst...I think he's trying to throw people off, that's all ;)

2. LB may have known MS. Could he have been who she went to for drugs? Could it be she couldn't get in touch with MS so her next contact was DM? Just because MS's number didn't show up on LB's cell phone invoice, there are other ways people can get in touch with one another.

3. Interesting how the finger seems to point more so at DM than MS. His hangar, his farmland, he purchased an illegal gun, him driving during test drives, his Yukon, his mother's driveway, etc. All we have on MS is he was a petty criminal who made a gore music video and some neighbours avoided the young punk.

4. Likely close to the truth IMO. Police earlier alleged the two men climbed into Bosma’s 2007 Dodge Ram and were then followed by a second car — Millard’s dark blue GMC Yukon. A third suspect was believed to be the person driving that second car. Kavanagh now says police are not sure whether Smich, who is said to have been in the back seat of the truck while Millard was driving, exited that vehicle after leaving Bosma’s home and got into the driver’s seat of the Yukon.

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2...rd_suspect_exists_lead_investigator_says.html

5. LE are likely spot on with this. Do they actually make this stuff up? I highly doubt it. After months of investigating, likely not. TWT. BTW I believe journalists have to use words such as alleged until a verdict has been handed down. According to the Hamilton Spectator, police believe Mr. Ward-Jackson, Matthew Odlum and Matthew Jackson Wawrykiewicz, sold Dellen Millard the gun he allegedly used to kill his father.

6. DM thought he would get rid of all the evidence and not get caught. Or if the thought crossed his mind, what if, maybe DM's plan was to claim MS tried to frame him by planting evidence on his property? Obviously he ran out of time while trying to cover his tracks and get rid of evidence. If MS didn't know DM murdered TB that night, I guess DM was on his own to sort out his own mess then wasn't he? All that takes time to carry out. TB's disappearance was front page news and on everyone's radio and television. Everyone was on the lookout for clues to do with TB and his truck. Wouldn't you assume DM may have been paranoid someone may be watching/tracking him, making his tasks harder to complete? This is why evidence was found on his property, he ran out of time.

Nah, I think we'll see an abundance of evidence to show DM is a serial killer and he set it up IF discovered, evidence to make it appear MS was involved, but that's ALL JMO.

Are your numbers matched up to mine? I assume that was your intent so....

1. Are you saying that the "all sorts of illicit stuff" that DM was involved in prior to this was not reported in MSM, but that doesn't mean it's not true? So this part was just based on an assumption that it could possibly be true?

2. That thought crossed my mind too. But how do you know that MS's number wasn't on the cell phone records? Do you know MS? Do you have his number?

3. What does his farmland, the test drives, his mother's driveway, etc. have to do with WM's death?

4. We'll have to agree to disagree. The rest of Kavanagh's statement was:

“That is possible right now, yes, but I’m not going to commit either way,” Kavanagh said.
If there is a third suspect, Kavanagh said, police do not have any leads on who it might be.

5. Thanks for the link. I wonder what happened to the Spectator article and why it's not linked in the NP article.

6. I still don't know how planting everything on his own property could possibly implicate MS in a frame job. Even if the plan was to try to claim that MS tried to frame DM by doing that, how would it have ever pointed to MS in the first place?

I think we'll likely see lots of evidence to show that MS is a multiple killer as well, and not just an innocent dupe framed by DM.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member