GUILTY NY - Annika McKenzie charged w/ assault on teacher, Hempstead, 15 April 2015

los2188

North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
Reaction score
Great way to teach our kids how to react...p.s. I don't know why Engel Hardt censored.

Teacher allegedly ‘knocked out cold’ by a student’s mother
hempstead1-e1429249557167.jpg

Teacher Catherine Engel*hardt (above) was pummeled by a parent and a 14-year-old at the Alverta B. Gray Schultz Middle School in Hempsted Wednesday, police said.
A teacher was allegedly attacked by a parent in the hall of a Long Island middle school — and in a disturbing surveillance photo can be seen knocked out cold.
Teacher Catherine Engel*hardt was pummeled by a parent and a 14-year-old at the Alverta B. Gray Schultz Middle School in Hempsted Wednesday, police said.
“It’s not like I thought a parent would do something, but I knew something violent was going to happen,” Engelhardt told WABC/Channel 7 from her home.
“I’ve warned them time and again that the children have no respect for adults. Yes, I fear for my safety. They can’t control the kids.”
Irate mom Annika McKenzie allegedly pushed her way past security at the middle school to confront Engelhardt.
hempstead-mom.jpg

Annika McKenzie at court on Thursday.
http://nypost.com/2015/04/17/teacher-allegedly-knocked-out-cold-by-a-students-mother/

And THIS, ladies and gentlemen, is one of the main reasons I quit teaching in the inner city. I loved my students but no one should have to put their life on the line to teach. THAT is ridiculous. Our school had 4 or 5 teachers out on assault leave. One had her arm crushed in a door by students, another was pushed down stairs. I was attacked by a first grader who was a budding young psychopath. ( I predicted he would kill someone before made age 18 and I was right, he was arrested at age 16 for murder)

Our school board's response to all of this was unbelievable - they sent a lawyer type to warn us to never touch the kids, even if we were defending ourselves. What we should do was to raise both our hands to show that we were not touching the kids. (Umm yeah, right, I'm being assaulted and I'm going to raise my hands to make it easier for them to hurt me? ) They warned us they would prosecute us for defending ourselves and did NOTHING to deal with the obvious problem of the students attacking teachers.

I'm going to just stop right here before I really get started ranting.

And THIS, ladies and gentlemen, is one of the main reasons I quit teaching in the inner city. I loved my students but no one should have to put their life on the line to teach. THAT is ridiculous. Our school had 4 or 5 teachers out on assault leave. One had her arm crushed in a door by students, another was pushed down stairs. I was attacked by a first grader who was a budding young psychopath. ( I predicted he would kill someone before made age 18 and I was right, he was arrested at age 16 for murder)

Our school board's response to all of this was unbelievable - they sent a lawyer type to warn us to never touch the kids, even if we were defending ourselves. What we should do was to raise both our hands to show that we were not touching the kids. (Umm yeah, right, I'm being assaulted and I'm going to raise my hands to make it easier for them to hurt me? ) They warned us they would prosecute us for defending ourselves and did NOTHING to deal with the obvious problem of the students attacking teachers.

I'm going to just stop right here before I really get started ranting.

I can understand why you stopped - the same reason I won't say very much. However, I believe we all can see where the problem lies, it's just that we're not permitted, on pain of banishment, job lose, etc., to say it out loud. Until that comes to an end we can only expect MORE of this crap.

As a teacher, I cannot tell you how much this infuriates me. How and why we have allowed education to become the joke that it has in this country is beyond me. Teachers are no longer nothing be glorified babysitters, without the ability to discipline.

This animal should be thrown in prison for a long time. $5000 bail is a JOKE!!!

And how is it "allegedly" if it was caught on tape???

Well, aren't we operating under the "no student left behind" garbage? Doesn't that mean that the ones who want to learn are held back by the stupidest and most violent? How much incentive does that give to anyone who wants to learn?

Let's face it, we cannot be honest about the problem, and until we all get angry enough to come out and tell the truth, this will go on and on and get worse and worse until we are ALL nothing but a nation of savages.

I worked for LAUSD for a decade or so. So this kind of assault does not surprise me one bit. I saw so many violent students and the only thing worse was their parents. I worked in the office and I wished we had a bouncer there with us some days. Try telling an angry parent that their kid was not eligible for graduation because they were not handing in their work. It got ugly a few times. And the parents blamed the teachers, not their own kids, when they were flunking classes. :no:

This right here is why I got out of teaching. Teachers are not respected anymore. By students, parents or even society in general. It sometimes makes me sad, I do love children and the challenge and the joy of teaching them. It's just became more and more difficult on many levels for less and less pay. I'm still paying for my bachelors and masters in education that I don't even use. This poor woman. What a nightmare. This will scar her for life and she'll probably never teach again. And the poor children who witnessed that. Although some are so desensitized to violence. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can understand why you stopped - the same reason I won't say very much. However, I believe we all can see where the problem lies, it's just that we're not permitted, on pain of banishment, job lose, etc., to say it out loud. Until that comes to an end we can only expect MORE of this crap.
Couldn't agree more. The real problem must not be discussed for fear of being labeled some kind of hyphenated phobe. Welcome to today's Amerika.

This poor woman. What a nightmare. This will scar her for life and she'll probably never teach again. And the poor children who witnessed that.

The poor children? They weren't traumatized by it, they apparently enjoyed it and joined in!

"Several other students also kicked and punched the teacher, Hempstead Classroom Teachers Association President Elias Mestizo said in a press conference. It’s unclear if other students are facing charges."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/...enzie-beat-teacher-long-island_n_7086330.html

I wonder if the teacher had been searching for other jobs since she knew the risk. I can't imagine going to work every day knowing that the people I see day in and day might one day attack me. I guess prison guards can expect to work in that type of situation BUT they have the other guards to protect them and the whole prison is set up to prevent incidents of that nature.

The poor children? They weren't traumatized by it, they apparently enjoyed it and joined in!

"Several other students also kicked and punched the teacher, Hempstead Classroom Teachers Association President Elias Mestizo said in a press conference. It’s unclear if other students are facing charges."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/...enzie-beat-teacher-long-island_n_7086330.html

I wonder if the teacher had been searching for other jobs since she knew the risk. I can't imagine going to work every day knowing that the people I see day in and day might one day attack me. I guess prison guards can expect to work in that type of situation BUT they have the other guards to protect them and the whole prison is set up to prevent incidents of that nature.

There are people defending this woman over at HP

Is it just me, why are some women becoming aggressive and fighting like men? Look at her face so angry, pitiful person. Jmo

ciao

Annika McKenzie, mom charged in teacher’s beating, convicted - January 2017

Jurors deliberated for about five hours Thursday before convicting McKenzie of second-degree assault, second-degree harassment and disorderly conduct for confronting and attacking Catherine Lang-Engelhardt, 60, on April 15, 2015.

In May, a jury acquitted McKenzie on a misdemeanor charge of criminal trespass, but was unable to agree on a verdict on the other charges.

Hempstead mom gets 6 months in jail for assault on teacher - March 2017

A judge Friday sentenced a Hempstead woman to 6 months in jail and 5 years of probation for punching and choking a teacher at her daughter’s middle school.

McKenzie’s 14-year-old niece — also a student at the school — kicked the teacher and hit her with a bottle when she was on the ground, according to prosecutors. Police also arrested the teen, but that case went to Family Court and officials said Friday the outcome isn’t public.

That is really messed up. This happened in Long Island. This shows it can happen anywhere.

I am surprised that Annika McKenzie got off with 6 months. I would think she would get a harsher sentence.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back