CA CA - Daphne Collier, 16, Sacramento, 31 Aug 1977

Steph54

Reaction score
Daphne had hitchhiked from her foster home in Seaside, CA, to visit her mother in Cottage Grove, Oregon. She was last seen exiting a vehicle in downtown Sacramento on the evening of Wednesday, August 31, 1977. The following day her body was discovered on the side of Grant Line Road in Elk Grove, Sacramento. She had been strangled with a scarf and sexually assaulted. She was wearing only panties and a shirt.

To correct an earlier post, Collier was not sexually assaulted. According to an article published in the 2 Sep 1977 edition of the Sacramento Bee, "an autopsy found no evidence of rape or sexual abuse, sheriff's deputies said."

The article you posted states she was a member of Young Life. There were a lot of Jesus cults back in the 1970's. Do you know if anyone who attended Young Life were questioned by LE?

From the articles published in the Sacramento Bee at the time (1977), sheriff's deputies determined that she had visited the Young Life camp in Woodleaf, about 40 miles north of Marysville, the first week of August with about 30 teens from her high school in Seaside. She received the jersey during that trip.

I lived in Salinas from 1974-79, and Daphne Collier was a friend of mine. We were the same age. She was a really sweet and funny foster kid, and the foster family she was staying with went to my parent's church. That's how I met her. I was actually supposed to meet her in downtown Salinas, (we used to cruise Main Street), right before she hitchhiked to go find her mom in Oregon. I was late and I missed her. I think she left the next day. I never saw her again. If I know anything that might help, I'd be glad to share.

I also went to school ( 10th grade) with Daphne at Seaside high School. My name is Daphne as well. I remember her telling me that she was going to hitch hike to Oregon to see her mom. I told her she was crazy! It was a very long way. We were the same age and I could never conceive of traveling that distance alone. She was a wonderful girl, always laughing and having fun. When I came back from summer break for our Junior year people were startled to see me because they thought I had been murdered!! I found out later that it was Daphne Collier who had been killed. I was shocked and saddened.She and I at that time actually looked a lot alike. Short hair and big *advertiser censored*. I would chide her about coming to school without a bra on, because it just was not proper, but she didn't care. That was just part of her free spirit personality. I hope one day they find who did this to her. RIP Daphne

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soababiotiling
Back