TX - Veterinarian under investigation for killing cat with arrow.

This disgusted me, the photo had the caption of "vet of the year"

I am a vet nurse and I am appalled by her... Vile excuse for a human if you ask me..

Not sure about USA but in AUS our feral cat eridication program involves baits (poisoned) or traps and transported to welfare for either behavioural training and rehoming or euthanasia.

Unfortunate but if people desexed their pets then feral animal populations would happen less..

http://www.khou.com/story/news/loca...tigation-for-killing-cat-with-arrow/25950009/

BRENHAM, Texas - A picture allegedly posted on Facebook by a Brenham veterinarian has led to her termination and uproar online from animal lovers. :banghead:

She was just so heartless, not only in shooting the cat, but in the way she posted. Unbelievable. I guess the cat may have belonged to an elderly couple, not sure why she claimed it was feral. Around here there are feral colonies, people are encouraged to trap, spay/neuter, and release. She was a vet, if she thought the cat was not neutered, why wouldn't she neuter it and release it instead of shooting it. I never would have expected this from a vet.

She was just so heartless, not only in shooting the cat, but in the way she posted. Unbelievable. I guess the cat may have belonged to an elderly couple, not sure why she claimed it was feral. Around here there are feral colonies, people are encouraged to trap, spay/neuter, and release. She was a vet, if she thought the cat was not neutered, why wouldn't she neuter it and release it instead of shooting it. I never would have expected this from a vet.

Your last paragraph... EXACTLY

Most vets I have worked with, are extremely passionate about saving your pets, feral animals and any animal in fact. That's 100% why they do what they do, they love animals..

I have predominately worked in vets that are no kill / no euth.. Because I believe there are far more options we can explore, I am also a former failed foster carer (I say failed because I kept 2)

I hope she loses her licence to practice... GRR

Supposedly, the cat was a pet named Tiger. RIP sweet kitty. Justice will be served.

Here's Tiger...

[video=youtube;hX6m4Lj_xS0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX6m4Lj_xS0[/video]

Not sure why they are keeping her name private, she chose to brag about the killing on facebook so she does not deserve privacy. She should absolutely lose her license and face jail time.

I have predominately worked in vets that are no kill / no euth.. Because I believe there are far more options we can explore, I am also a former failed foster carer (I say failed because I kept 2)

Vets that do not provide euthanasia? So terminally ill animals dying of cancer or other horrendous illnesses are kept alive to linger and die a slow agonizing death over days or weeks? If that is what you meant that is awful, animals can't ask for pain meds or take matters into their own hands. Surely that cannot be what you mean by "no euthanasia".

If you follow Tulessa's link you will find this quote from one of the vet's relatives:

A relative told us she had no comment for now and that this whole thing has been blown out of proportion.

Really?

***warning, these links bring up the unfiltered picture which is horrifying. They also disclose the vet's full name.***

Petition to pull her license

Catington Post Media

TVMA Condemnation Letter

There is a rescue group and a neighbor who are both claiming the cat.

Rescue group isn't claiming the cat. Cat belonged to an elderly couple who were out of town. They had a cat sitter who is a volunteer with a rescue group.
"Contrary to earlier reports, the cat was not a foster with True Blue Animal Rescue in Brenham."
http://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...sted-by-veterinarian-draws-Facebo-6206633.php

Rescue group isn't claiming the cat. Cat belonged to an elderly couple who were out of town. They had a cat sitter who is a volunteer with a rescue group.

That makes more sense, it seemed very odd that a foster cat would be allowed to wander outdoors.

Makes ya wonder if she has killed other animals in the neighborhood before this, then again she would have likely posted photos of the victims. It was also obvious by the cat's condition that it was NOT a feral/stray.

If the kill shot really was in the back of the head I have to wonder if the cat was very friendly and came right up to her when called. A lot of those orange male kitties are extremely friendly/trusting. Ugh.

That makes more sense, it seemed very odd that a foster cat would be allowed to wander outdoors.

Makes ya wonder if she has killed other animals in the neighborhood before this, then again she would have likely posted photos of the victims. It was also obvious by the cat's condition that it was NOT a feral/stray.

If the kill shot really was in the back of the head I have to wonder if the cat was very friendly and came right up to her when called. A lot of those orange male kitties are extremely friendly/trusting. Ugh.

It's clear from the video of cat riding "Gator" that the cat was very friendly. That cat has unusual markins so I am pretty sure it's the same cat. The woman who took the video was his cat sitter.

"Contrary to earlier reports, the cat was not a foster with True Blue Animal Rescue in Brenham."
http://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...sted-by-veterinarian-draws-Facebo-6206633.php

I added her name to the tags because she has been named in a few media outlets. Mods, I can remove if you dont think it is appropriate.

from jjenny's link-

KBTX says that in the comments under photo, when asked if she would be let go because of the controversy, she seemed to rather cavalier about the matter and didn’t expect to be let go because she was “awesome.”

KBTX Coverage

Dr Lindsey has some supporters who feel that people are weighing in who have no real understanding of the country. Obviously we cant read her FB page now, but she allegedly believed that this would not be a problem for her.

Lindsey works for the Washington Animal Clinic in Brenham. In the comment section of her post, she wrote “no I did not lose my job. Lol. Psshh. Like someone would get rid of me. I’m awesome!”

KBTX Coverage

Dr Lindsey has some supporters who feel that people are weighing in who have no real understanding of the country. Obviously we cant read her FB page now, but she allegedly believed that this would not be a problem for her.

I am not sure what understanding of the country I am supposed to have here. Is it just fine to shoot and kill pet cats in the country with an arrow? By a vet, no less. She has to know people let their cats out. When I take my cat to the vet they ask me if I let him out (which I don't), but obviously people do. From her photo of killed cat, cat looked very clean, so how could she not figure out this was not a feral cat (not that would be o'key to shoot a feral cat).

I am not sure what understanding of the country I am supposed to have here. Is it just fine to shoot and kill pet cats in the country with an arrow? By a vet, no less. She has to know people let their cats out. When I take my cat to the vet they ask me if I let him out (which I don't), but obviously people do. From her photo of killed cat, cat looked very clean, so how could she not figure out this was not a feral cat (not that would be o'key to shoot a feral cat).

This woman should know (as a vet) that there are Trap Neuter and Spay programs TNR and other options like shelters/barns that she should have explored if she didn't want the cat on her property. Ms. Lindsey seems to have something else going on mentally/personality wise to be in the profession of veterinary sciences and taking an oath to care for animals, and then most cruelly killing a cat and basically bragging about it online. Serial killers start out harming animals, not vets. Shameful and cruel. RIP tabby kitty. Jmo/

ETA- One of my most beloved cats was a "feral" in my backyard, and I was lucky to have him because after being neutered/initial adjustment period staying indoors/being socialized, he was the biggest sweetheart and love! And, I have two feral cats that were never "socialized" enough to bring in the house, but did trap-neuter-release and both have shelter/comforts in garage, and are most welcome here, they also keep the rodent population down and I consider them my watch-patrol cats.

Dr Lindsey has some supporters who feel that people are weighing in who have no real understanding of the country.

What a bunch of BS about living in the "country". Rural folks don't run around killing their neighbors pets for sport nor brag about it.

If pets are allowed to endanger livestock OR "run" deer during hunting season then yes there is a real risk of them being shot however even then it usually involves a warning to the owner, if it keeps happening then the animal might "disappear".

Bragging about killing a neighbors pet shows this woman is a self-righteous nutcase; she likely targeted the animal because it was a "tom cat", instead of neutering the cat she got off on killing him.

I noticed the comments in that article were shut down in part because of death threats towards the vet.

If this cat is Tiger (and it certainly looks like he is), then the cat was already neutered. She didn't have to trap the cat to neuter it.
I realize she was calling the cat a "tom cat" but she also claimed the cat was feral.

I realize she was calling the cat a "tom cat" but she also claimed the cat was feral.

So then she likely wanted to shoot something with her bow and killing a tame and trusting pet was the easiest target.

This woman is sick. Her former employer should donate services to a local animal rescue to repair their reputation.

I grew up rural, and everyone knew who the neighbor's cats were if they came wandering. "Oh, there's Tom, musta come a'callin' from the Joneses." Truly feral cats lurk around barns and are valued for pest control. My parents shot one once, in the late 80s, who had attacked several of our barn cats. Back then, the local humane society was anything but humane, so a quick death was better than heart stick euthanasia at the pound.

In no way is what she did status quo for rural living. Feral/stray/wandering cats are a normal thing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back