NY - Sharlene Francis, 21, raped & murdered, Brooklyn, 14 Aug 2005

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
A Brooklyn baby-sitter raped and bludgeoned with a hammer yesterday identified a man still in the house as her attacker as her life slipped away, police sources said.
Cops, who had failed to enter the apartment on an earlier 911 run, found Sharlene Francis, 20, partially clothed in a pool of her own blood in a bedroom at the Stanley Ave. home yesterday morning. The baby-sitter, whose birthday was Friday, had been beaten savagely with a hammer.

The 2-year-old she was caring for was splattered with her baby-sitter's blood.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime_file/story/337503p-288228c.html

A drunk Brooklyn man stabbed and hammered to death a baby-sitting college student in front of her terrified 2-year-old niece yesterday, leaving the tot splattered in her young aunt's blood, sources said.
"Please, help me!" begged dying 21-year-old Charlene Francis to a 911 operator from the baby's blood-soaked bedroom at 1162 Stanley Ave. in East New York. Her confessed killer, Richard Thorne, who lives at the house with the child's grandmother, had fled to his bedroom after the predawn attack but then angrily stalked back into the baby's room after hearing his victim's desperate pleas, sources said.

He cut off the woman's frantic call — but not before she managed to give the address, they said. Police arrived at the home, only to be greeted by silence despite calling and knocking, they said.
http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/51280.htm

That is just horribly brutal. One article says mothers boyfriend, and the other says grandmothers boyfriend, so who knows. what a horrible, horrible way to die. Why did the police not force thier way in?????????????

Second article is wrong The girl who was killed was the sister of the baby's father, he was no where near the house. The one who was arressted was the baby's grandmother's boyfriend.

I wonder why they are having troube deciding the degree of murder to charge him with. It surely isn't self defense.

SewingDeb said:
I wonder why they are having troube deciding the degree of murder to charge him with. It surely isn't self defense.

I think the questions are premeditated, 2nd degree, voluntary or involuntary manslaughter.

How does one accidentally beat someone to death with a hammer? Am I missing something here? Accidentally?

Opie said:
How does one accidentally beat someone to death with a hammer? Am I missing something here? Accidentally?

Sorry Opie, I edited my post. I was still thinking about the case of the 3 yo girl.

mysteriew--

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I was in quite a snit, I'm afraid. Too many murderers get off way too lightly. Throw the book at him, I say.

I enjoy your posts.

Opie said:
mysteriew--

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I was in quite a snit, I'm afraid. Too many murderers get off way too lightly. Throw the book at him, I say.

I enjoy your posts.

Thank you, I enjoy finding the articles and reading them, but my favorite part is the discussions with everybody. Makes me think, ya know?

It's disgusting to think that these days, murderers seem to get off easier than the druggie down the road. I wish they would tighten up the noose around the
neck of these sick individuals. Maybe they'd think twice about something so
henous...maybe not, they've got to be messed up in the head anyway, to do something this gory. That poor, poor girl.

Richard Thorne

Housed: Attica
Date Received: 03/06/2007

Offense: 2nd Degree Murder
Sentence: 15 years - Life

First Parole Hearing: 04/2020
Parole Eligibility Date: 08/11/2020

Richard Thorne

Housed: Attica
Date Received: 03/06/2007

Offense: 2nd Degree Murder
Sentence: 15 years - Life

First Parole Hearing: 04/2020
Parole Eligibility Date: 08/11/2020

Once again, many thanks Belinda for updating these old cases.

So was it ever determined, the relationship of this murderer, to others in the home?

I haven't seen anything that makes it really clear. It said the child was Sharlene's nephew and that she was babysitting for her older brother. Then it says that Thorne is a companion of the child's mother. Egads. One of them.

Thanks again Belinda.

Man, either way, it's just horrid. Raped and bludgened to death with a hammer.

*shudders*

im getting really tired of reading 'life' and then the sub heading is 'eligible for parole 10 years from now. life should mean life jeesh

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back