Gone with the $: Scarlett O'Hara dress may fetch $100k

zwiebel

Reaction score
A former head of the makeup and wardrobe department at Universal studios, James Tumblin, has spent years picking up movie-related bargains whenever he spotted them. One was a gray dress and matching jacket worn by Vivien Leigh in the film 'Gone with the Wind', where she played the unforgettable Scarlett O' Hara.

He paid $20. Experts now think it may fetch $100,000 at an auction to be held in Beverly Hills, Saturday, by Dallas-based Heritage Auctions.

Mr Tumblin will never be hungry again, probably. But we'll see. Tomorrow is another day. :)

REALLY hoping a certain one of our WS posters drops in on this thread, it would be so appropriate!

http://m.wsbtv.com/news/ap/californ...t-auctio/nkxHs/?ecmp=wsbtv_social_twitter_sfp

shanty3.jpg

It sold for $137,000! Not a bad investment of $20 for Mr Tumblin, Lol.

It looks in good condition. I wonder if it's the dress Scarlett made out of curtains in the movie?

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/19/entertainment/gone-with-the-wind-scarlett-o-hara-dress-auction/

No, I believe the curtains dress is green velvet...?

(Makes me giggle thinking of the sketch on the old Carol Burnett show, where Carol, in the Scarlett role, comes down the stairs wearing a dress with, IIRC, a curtain rod still projecting from it and says "I saw it in the window and just couldn't resist it.")

ETA: Here's a clip from that sketch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6bOpJ5elW8

Here's Scarlett's dress made from her mother's curtains. She wears the dress to visit Rhett in jail in an attempt to charm him into giving her the money she needs for the taxes on Tara.

be451c32d8e27352b70fb216985629bd.jpg

She storms out of the jail when she realizes Rhett can't help her, runs into her sister's beau Frank Kennedy and quickly falls in love with his lumber mill. She, Frank and the lumber mill are married shortly thereafter.

Later Rhett asks her about her marriage to Mr. Kennedy:

Rhett Butler: Would you satisfy my curiosity on a point which has bothered me for some time?
Scarlett: Well, what is it? Be quick!
Rhett Butler: Tell me, Scarlett, do you never shrink from marrying men you don't love?
Scarlett: How did you ever get out of jail? Why didn't they hang you?

Carol-Burnett-Show-Went-with-the-Wind-drape-dress-1976.jpg

and of course who can forget carol burnet's classic rendition of scarlett in went with the wind......and her wonderful line......

when complimented by "rhett" played by harvey korman on her attire....she replies "why thank you, i saw it in the window and couldn't resist it!"

:floorlaugh:

Here's Scarlett's dress made from her mother's curtains. She wears the dress to visit Rhett in jail in an attempt to charm him into giving her the money she needs for the taxes on Tara.

View attachment 73393

She storms out of the jail when she realizes Rhett can't help her, runs into her sister's beau Frank Kennedy and quickly falls in love with his lumber mill. She, Frank and the lumber mill are married shortly thereafter.

Later Rhett asks her about her marriage to Mr. Kennedy:

Rhett Butler: Would you satisfy my curiosity on a point which has bothered me for some time?
Scarlett: Well, what is it? Be quick!
Rhett Butler: Tell me, Scarlett, do you never shrink from marrying men you don't love?
Scarlett: How did you ever get out of jail? Why didn't they hang you?

God, I love everything about that book and movie! Just reading this I can hear Vivian Leigh and Clark Gable talking right in front of me!

God, I love everything about that book and movie! Just reading this I can hear Vivian Leigh and Clark Gable talking right in front of me!

An absolutely amazing book. It got me in trouble though. I was about 10 or 11 and I wanted to read the book ( I read a LOT - I can spend hours a day reading). Well i got the book and read in all day in class for 2 days, all 1053 pages of it. It took me 2 days to read the entire book and the teacher sent me to the office for "reading in class", lol!!

I have read the book many times since then. What an amazing work of art it is.

No, I believe the curtains dress is green velvet...?

(Makes me giggle thinking of the sketch on the old Carol Burnett show, where Carol, in the Scarlett role, comes down the stairs wearing a dress with, IIRC, a curtain rod still projecting from it and says "I saw it in the window and just couldn't resist it.")

ETA: Here's a clip from that sketch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6bOpJ5elW8

OT, but one year I fashioned a halloween costume after that CB sketch with the dress made of curtains with the rod still on! Love that sketch!

OT, but one year I fashioned a halloween costume after that CB sketch with the dress made of curtains with the rod still on! Love that sketch!
look upthread thorpedo.....i posted a pic from that sketch, it always cracks me up :D......that's why i can quote it practically verbatim from memory lol

swampmama i have read the book a jillion times.....i have lost count seriously lol.....you are right, a work of art

Love this thread. I grew up in the home of Tara.

Every year growing up we would have one of our field trips to the fabulous Fox Theater in Atlanta to see GWTW.

Anyone ever see the Carol Burnett skit about when Scarlet makes the dress out of the curtains? It is too funny.

Love this thread. I grew up in the home of Tara.

Every year growing up we would have one of our field trips to the fabulous Fox Theater in Atlanta to see GWTW.

Anyone ever see the Carol Burnett skit about when Scarlet makes the dress out of the curtains? It is too funny.
look upthread :D

Love ! I saw many of the dresses at a GWTW Convention in about 1988 ... So sad I read some years back that some may be lost if they cannot be preserved and it was a very expensive venture .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow0r3j4blV8

ETA That dress didn't make the video but I'm pretty sure it's worn during her marriage to Kennedy and working at the mill. ;)
And frankly , my dears, I'm a little embarrassed I don't know :(

ETA ETA It's her shanty dress! I did know,,,, almost !

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back