CA CA - Stacy Arras, 14, Yosemite National Park, 17 Jul 1981

DayLea

Reaction score
This is one of the cases David Paulides covers in his Missing 411 books. He discusses it in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2YJ_8b54BU

I've transcribed the parts where he discusses Stacy's case (apologies as this is far from perfect):
Stacy was 14 when she went on a horse pack trip with her dad and seven other people in the Sunrise Meadows area up in Yosemite, and what happened was her dad, her and this group of people, all got on horses and they rode for six, seven miles into the back country. They stopped at a series of small cabins. And they all got out, and went in, cleaned up. Stacy cleaned up and she told her dad she was gonna go outside and take some pictures with her camera. There was a 71 year old man that was on the trip that was sitting on a boulder about 100 feet away, and she told her dad 'hey, I'm gonna go sit with this man and take pictures of the view out over this lake.' Her dad and everybody there saw her go walking over to this boulder with the man, take these pictures, and she told the man she that was gonna walk down the hill 100 yards to the lake and take some pictures of the lake and be right back. And everyone saw her leave the man, the man continued sitting there, they were at about nine, ten thousand feet in elevation, she walks down this boulder field into this tree-lined area around the lake, and that was the last time she was ever seen. She never came back. And there was an absolute massive, massive search for the girl.

So the search, all they found, is they found the lens cap from her camera, just inside the tree line from where she walked in to the area by the lake. And I spoke to her uncle, who went to the scene and assisted in the search, he said 'hey Dave, it was comprehensive, it was intense, it went on formally for 10 days, informally for 2 weeks, they brought in helicopters with forward looking infrared radar, they brought in umpteen, dozens and dozens of professional search and rescue people, they found nothing.' He said 'the only thing we found was that lends cap, there were no other tracks, there was nothing. It's like she vanished.'

So there was essentially nothing about that case for 25, 30 years. I made a request on it through Yosemite for the freedom of information act, to get a copy of the report. A special agent for the parks service named Yu called me, and asked me why I wanted the report. And I explained that we were doing some research on search and rescue and we were specifically looking into people who disappeared at Yosemite and we wanted to see what in the report that was there, and he said there was nothing there. And I said 'well are there any suspects, is it a criminal case?' He said 'nope. It's a missing persons case.' I said 'Has anybody looked at it in the past 10 or 20 years?' He says 'not that I can think of.' And I said 'so there's no suspects, there's no work done on the case, she hasn't been found?' 'Correct' And I said 'okay well, could you send me a copy of the case?' And he said 'nope.' I said 'why not?' He says 'because it's an open case, and you'll never see it.' And I said 'but we've gotten dozens and dozens of missing persons cases from the parks service. Why not this case?' He goes 'you'll never see it.' And we got off the phone. I went to my local congressman Ian Campbell, I appealed through him, his representative in Washington DC went and met with the representative from the department of the interior, and I got an answer back saying they won't release the case. The family of Stacy got a hold of me, they publicly asked for the case, it was denied. They made an appeal through the parks service, so the family could read the case, and this has dragged on I think for two or three years, and they still haven't seen the case. So what happened to Stacy? Don't really know. But according to the freedom of information act, and what the law is intended to do, is give us access to information that our government has. This isn't a criminal case, there are no suspects, there's no crime that is thought to have occurred. Nobody can explain to me or that family why we can't see that case.

What could be the reason behind the gov't (illegally?) withholding the case information from the family?
Why is Stacy's case not listed in any of the MP databases?
Why is there so little info available on Stacy despite the nearly 100k that was spent on her search?

Like a lot cases in the missing 411 books God knows what happen to them and why is at hushed up

Wow! This is the first time I've read about Stacy's story. I didn't think the government could turn down Freedom of information act requests? Has anyone else tried filling out a request? It floors me that she isn't listed in any MP databases. I can't imagine why not!

Wow! This is the first time I've read about Stacy's story. I didn't think the government could turn down Freedom of information act requests? Has anyone else tried filling out a request? It floors me that she isn't listed in any MP databases. I can't imagine why not!

The government isn't supposed to - but when they do, it is a long, arduous process to try and appeal. You will have better luck with an attorney filing a FOIA request, but even then, it's difficult to force the government to do anything.

I'm curious where the family stands on their request. What ever came of that? Did they succeed in compelling the info?

I know why the agent called and refused to give the case out. Everyone that you mention that filled out a FOIA request could reasonably be a person of interest. No LE agency is going to give an unsolved case over to the possible perp. That is just how the federal gov't mind works. Trust no one. Never share info. How do you think 9/11 happened? This implies no guilt to me. It is just the way they are. How many times have you seen a Namus entry or listing on a missing persons site with the name and number of a federal agent to call?

Her case-file was added to the Charley Project. Right now, it has the missing date as July 25.

arras_stacy.jpg

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance
• Missing Since: July 25, 1981 from Yosemite National Park, California
• Classification: Lost/Injured Missing
• Date Of Birth: September 29, 1966
• Height and Weight: 5'5, 120 pounds
• Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Blonde hair, blue eyes. Stacy's ears are pierced. She wears narrow upper and lower dental retainers. She smoked cigarettes at the time of her 1981 disappearance.
• Clothing/Jewelry Description: An off-white pullover hooded windbreaker with a horizontal zipper front pouch above the breastline, a tight-fitting white jersey blouse with a square necklace edged with quarter-inch white lace, pull-on shorts with intermittent vertical sky-blue pinstripes and half-inch maroon and white stripes, size 8 1/2 or 9 gray hiking boots with rubber Vibram soles, a gold double-wrapped ankle bracelet and possibly round blue stud earrings. Carrying binoculars, a small Olympus camera with a multicolored embroidered neck strap, and possibly chewing gum and cigarettes.

Details of Disappearance
Stacy was last seen while visiting Yosemite National Park with her father and six others on July 25, 1981. The group reached a cluster of cabins designed for overnight stay at Sunrise High Sierra Camp, tied up their horses and went indoors to freshen up. Stacy changed clothes and left the cabin, carrying her camera, so she could photograph the lake. Stacy invited her father to join her, but he declined and an elderly man from their group went with her instead. They went downhill towards the lake and the rest of the group watched them from above. They saw Stacy's companion sit down. Stacy walked further on towards the lake, went behind some trees and disappeared from sight. After a few minutes, when she didn't return, the other members of the group went to look for her. They found the lens from her camera, but no other trace of her.

An extensive search of the park, involving helicopters, dogs and dozens of volunteers, turned up no indication of Stacy's whereabouts. She lived in Saratoga, California in 1981.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back