Blue Bell recalls all its ice cream products over listeria concerns

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/20/health/blue-bell-ice-cream-recall/

(CNN) After weeks of gradual recalls, Blue Bell Creameries is now pulling all of its products off the shelves.

The company is recalling its ice cream, frozen yogurt, sherbet and other frozen treats because they could be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes, the company said Monday.

Three people have died and five others have fallen ill from the bacteria that may have come from Blue Bell products, health officials have said....

:gaah:

A Blue Bell Dutch chocolate milkshake is my favorite treat! There's a brand new unopened tub sitting in our freezer right now...

Ugh and to think these folks got the milkshake at the hospital just makes it even worse. No more ice cream for me...blue bell home made vanilla was my fav..

I need a farm so I can grow everything myself..no more store bought stuff..All organic etc. Please God Please!

BlueBell is the best ice cream I've ever eaten. Love Dutch Chocolate and Homemade Vanilla.

My stomach thinks my throat has been cut, KWIM? Long wait ahead, but they will fix it. I'm not giving up my BlueBell.

But, while waiting for BB ... I'm going to make my grandmother's recipe for vanilla ice cream, which is cooked .. and it is delicious, too. No churning. Just put in freezer. The texture is fabulous, if you know the secret. :)

BlueBell is the best ice cream I've ever eaten. Love Dutch Chocolate and Homemade Vanilla.

My stomach thinks my throat has been cut, KWIM? Long wait ahead, but they will fix it. I'm not giving up my BlueBell.

But, while waiting for BB ... I'm going to make my grandmother's recipe for vanilla ice cream, which is cooked .. and it is delicious, too. No churning. Just put in freezer. The texture is fabulous, if you know the secret. :)

BBM

Not Ben and Jerry's? :waitasec:

Nope, not Ben and Jerry's. Not even close. Blue Bell is the tastiest ice cream ever made.

I guess I'm the lone Texas poster who will not touch Blue Bell ice cream, LOL. Ben and Jerry's for me. ( But, I'm a transplanted Texan) :)

There's a question in my mind about the 2 Listeria outbreaks in large batch ice cream this early in the spring ( It's not hot outside yet, IOW).
Listeria grows and lives at the temperature of refrigerated foods, but is killed when the temperature is at freezing or below.
So, how is it growing if the ice cream was manufactured below freezing? And how is it growing and not killed if home freezers are set below 32 degrees F? Are all the freezers with the listeria-containing ice cream from Jeni's and Blue Bell set above 32 degrees F, and the ice cream was somehow made above 32 degrees as well? We have thermometers for our 2 freezers and our Sub Zero refrigerator has a built in alarm that we set to safe refrigeration levels. I'm really careful about food safety in several areas of food storage and preparation. Nurses never forget how sick people can become from a simple error.

Unusual ice cream recalls raise questions about cause

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20150424/us--listeria-ice_cream-69de3c931f.html

Blue Bell Creameries of Texas and Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams of Ohio — extremely popular brands in their home states — took all their products off shelves this week. Blue Bell ice cream is linked to 10 illnesses in four states, including three deaths. There are no known illnesses linked to the Jeni's recall, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The recalls are unusual: Listeria is rarely found in ice cream because it can't grow at freezing temperatures.

Could it be sabotage by another company?

I want my Rocky Road and those banana/fudge bombsticks

Please share if you can, the recipe. I had never heard of cooked Ice cream. I've eaten fried ice cream, and it's ok.

The cooking, I believe, is done before the mixture is put into the freezer. My mom made tons of homemade ice cream back in the day, and it seems like some of her recipes needed a little cooking beforehand. To melt the sugar, maybe?

Life just ain't the same without my daily dose of Blue Bell. We tried Braum's, but three cartons sat in the freezer for too long and went all crusty because no one ate them.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...nnounce-returning-items-on-Monday-6459742.php

Blue Bell Ice Cream will announce which varieties of its products will be coming back to store shelves on Aug. 31, according to tweets from the company on Friday...

The gradual return to market will mimic the 108-year-old company's original expansion, starting in Brenham, Houston and Austin, plus parts of Alabama, home to the only Blue Bell Creameries plant currently making ice cream...

After Texas and Alabama, sales will resume in the following order: north central Texas and southern Oklahoma; southwest Texas and central Oklahoma...

That's as far as I need to read. My Blue Bell's coming back, woo-hoo!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back