Young Woman Dies After DNP Diet Pills Bought Online ‘Burned Her From Within’
Eloise Perry

Diet pills may seem harmless, but a recent tragedy has shown how dangerous they really can be.

A 21-year-old British woman died on April 12 after accidentally overdosing on diet pills she bought online that contained the toxic ingredient dinitrophenol (DNP). Eloise Aimee Parry took eight tablets that contained the drug, her mother, Fiona Parry, said in a statement that she posted online. (Two tablets was a lethal dose.)

Eloise was taken to the hospital, where she “was literally burning up from within,” and her metabolism ran “at an explosive level” as doctors tried to save her, her mother said.