1168 users online (271 members and 897 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Canada - Asmaa Bana, 20, Toronto, 20 April 2015

Police concerned for safety of missing OCAD student
    Wednesday, April 22, 2015 1:56PM EDT

Toronto police are requesting the public’s help in the search for a university student last seen earlier this week.
    Asmaa Bana, 20, a graphic design student at Toronto’s OCAD University, went missing on Monday.

She was last seen at 7 a.m. in the Dixon Road and Kipling Avenue area, police said in a statement on Wednesday.

<snip>

“She was allegedly on her way to a job interview with no location or company name specified,” a friend wrote on Facebook.
    Police said they are concerned for her safety.

Anyone with information on Bana’s whereabouts is asked to contact police at 416-808-2300, or call Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-8477 (TIPS).
    Screen Shot 2015-04-22 at 1.22.30 PM.png

I've posted an updated article from The Toronto Star below.

http://m.thestar.com/#/article/news/...s-missing.html

Published on Apr 22 2015
    Michelle Shephard
    NATIONAL SECURITY REPORTER
    Asmaa Bana, a 20-year-old Toronto graphic design student, whose family says she is so conscientious that she will call if expecting to be even five minutes late, is missing.
    She hasn’t been seen since friends left her at the Ontario College of Arts and Design on the fourth floor at about 1:30 p.m. Monday ... <modsnip>
    Last edited by sillybilly; 04-22-2015 at 09:08 PM. Reason: snipped to comply with 10% copyright rule

Why would B take her computer ect. normally used for school with her, if she finished her exams?
    rbbm.
    http://www.thestar.com/news/world/20...s-missing.html

"Bana left her home Monday at 7 a.m., with the common refrain of her mother telling her to eat breakfast and Bana leaving without a meal. She took her phone, Canon camera, laptop and charges. That was what she usually packed for school. But the fact that she left so early, in hindsight now, seems strange.

She said exams were done so it would be odd for her to leave that early. She had such a hectic semester, any student would want to take advantage of this time to recover from sleep deprivation.”
    Last edited by dotr; 04-22-2015 at 04:59 PM.

This event occurred downtown on the Monday Basmaa was last seen, fwiw..

http://www.thestar.com/life/2015/04/...as-square.html

"420 Toronto rally to legalize marijuana fills Yonge-Dundas Square
    Hundreds of marijuana enthusiasts came despite the rain for annual event."

It's possible that she needed these things for her job interview. I don't know much about design, but she might have expected to present a digital portfolio or something.

I find the deleting of social media the most baffling part of this.

I would have to think that either she did it herself, or she was forced to do it, and I can't think of a reason she would be forced to do it. If she did it herself, then I have to assume she wanted to disappear. But you can disappear without erasing your social media.

Might this demonstrate a commitment to someone?

"There's also been her call history on her cell phone. One call came from Barrie, and a second came from Pakistan.

Police have been able to identify the person she spoke with in Barrie, but haven't been able to track them down as of yet.

The person in Pakistan remains a mystery."
    - See more at: http://www.newstalk1010.com/news/201....yZotXvR0.dpuf

The Star mentions that the phone number in Barrie goes to an individual who works for the Ministry of Children Youth Services.

You can read about them here.
    http://www.children.gov.on.ca/htdocs...out/index.aspx

I can't think this is for herself based on her age and status. Is it possible she interviewed there? Or at least was supposed to interview there?

The Star mentioned that this number called several times. This makes it sound more like a personal call.

The scariest thing to me is the deleting of her social media accounts. That was a deliberate act by someone, and initial reports from the family suggest it would be uncharacteristic of Asmaa.

Also, the mysterious caller whose voice mail said he was with MCYS is very disturbing. Could it be a predator luring students with a promise of what sounds like an interview for a legitimate summer job?

This is extremely concerning.

I'm wondering though if Asma chose to disappear on her own. I'm not trying to trivialize whatever is going on here at all. I just know of several recent stories where young middle eastern/pakistani/muslim girls have had relationships with non middle eastern/pakistani/muslims etc., kept it a secret because their families would disapprove and left of their own accord to pursue the relationship. If her family is very traditional this could be the case.

The fact that she has become untraceable on social media and she went to an interview (where parents would certainly approve and not think otherwise) just gets me thinking that maybe my theory above may fall into play.

MOO. I just want Asma to be safe.

Scary, I hope she is OK

perhaps she deactivated her SM accounts due to exams and an impending interview?

I had several friends that would force themselves to deactivate during finals week so they wouldn't get distracted from studying. Or if you applying for an interview and you don't want a future employer being nosey...?

There a huge discrepancy in both time and location. So which is it?

20-year-old Asmaa Bana was last seen around 7 am in the Kipline and Dixon Road area.
    http://www.newstalk1010.com/news/201...-missing-woman

Friends last reported seeing Bana on the fourth floor of the Ontario College of Arts and Design in downtown Toronto about 1:30 p.m. Monday
    http://www.thestar.com/news/world/20...s-missing.html

Such an unsettling update... all social media deleted isn't normal, even if she wanted to disappear. Based on the information that she was excited about the job prospect, it doesn't seem that she'd want to leave her life behind.
    “There is some good in this world, and it's worth fighting for.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

Good call, m_brown.

I know several people who have looked into social media accounts when hiring. I hadn't thought of that.

It's possible her disappearance isn't related to her job interviews. Perhaps she went to a job interview, it went well, then she suddenly panicked because she didn't want the perspective employer seeing something on social media - photos, comments, or perhaps that she was still a student and therefore only looking for summer employment instead of full time. Then, after all this, something happens leading to her disappearance.

On another note, I had a friend who deleted all her social media because someone was stalking her, and she didn't want him to be able to find out anything about her. Just thinking out loud.

She's been found safe.

http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/newsreleases/31636

Missing woman located,
    Asmaa Bana, 20

Broadcast time: 21:58
    Wednesday, April 22, 2015

The Toronto Police Service would like to thank the public for their assistance locating a missing woman.

Asmaa Bana, 20, was last seen on Monday, April 20, 2015, at 7 a.m., in the Dixon Road and Kipling Avenue area.

See previous release.

She was located on Wednesday, April 22, 2015 at 5 pm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast