TX - Pregnant Popeyes Manager Fired After Refusing To Pay For Armed Robbery

los2188

North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
Reaction score
n-MARISSA-large.jpg

Marissa Holcomb was held at gunpoint late last month in an armed robbery at a Popeyes in Channelview, Texas.

Then, she was fired.

The shift manager -- who is five months pregnant -- says she was reprimanded because she refused to pay back $400 that the gunman got away with, according to KHOU.

"I told them I'm not paying nothing," Holcomb told the station. "I just had a gun to me. I'm not paying the money."

On March 31, the gun-toting perp walked into the eatery and demanded that employees get on the floor, Raw Story reports. He grabbed Holcomb by her shirt and told her to empty the safe, but she said she could only open the registers.

Security video of the incident (above) shows the gunman leap over the counter to get to the registers.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/...bery_n_7120690.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

A pizza place where I worked was robbed while I was on duty. Insurance paid the losses not the employees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She was not fired for refusing to repay the money but for not emptying the till when she should havel. Still a bad call on the manager's part IMO. If it was busy during that time and they took in $400 in 1.5 hours how weren't there customers still in the store? The story seems a little weird to me.

I don't know about this story.

It's pretty harsh to fire a person less than 2 days after they experience an armed robbery. However, it seems she has made mistakes leading up to this point and at some point, it adds up to a offense to fire over. IF she was not a great employee and this is just another rule she broke or didn't adhere to...than she deserves to be fired as much as a person who didn't experience a robbery.

Oooh. So she didn't make deposits to the safe. But that's still no reason to make her pay it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I almost got fired from a retail job while in college because as a manager, one of my employees took off with the night deposit bag.

The reasoning was that since she could not be located, I was responsible for having hired her.

Until I got an attorney.

Then everything went "poof". But they never did find that woman I hired (upon suggestion from my district manager), at least AFAIK.

But, yeah, out of desperation they will try to hang it on anybody. In some cases.

Oooh. So she didn't make deposits to the safe. But that's still no reason to make her pay it back.

I don't think they ever wanted her to pay it back. They likely just wanted her GONE. Besides the standard policy for employees is do NOT resist robbers, if the employees could be required to pay back what was stolen then obviously the staff would have a strong reason to resist/shoot robbers as needed because they are responsible for the cash.

Most restaurant theft is internal and if she wasn't doing safe drops and then suddenly the place gets robbed it might make some think hmmmmmm. :rolleyes:

400$ is not that much money, especially considering several registers were involved.
And if employees are required to reimburse the business for robbery, that would certainly lead to them resisting. So the employer shouldn't be asking someone to reimburse the business for robbery.

www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/22/p...bery_n_7120690.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

Just strange. Does the manager of the Popeyes' think she was somehow 'in on it' ?

I've never heard of the employee having to cover the cost of a robbery. This is definitely a first.
There was a 'page' set up to help her out, but it's been removed. (No word on why ?)
:moo:

Well, it does sound pretty hinky. She lied to the gunman and said she didn't have access to the safe yet she was supposed to be moving excess cash into the safe. But, hey, no problem because all the excess cash was sitting in the registers and thus available to the gunman. What a coinky dink. I would have fired her, too.

JMO

He grabbed Holcomb by her shirt and told her to empty the safe, but she said she could only open the registers.

That's not how it works. Cashier is supposed to take money out of the register, put it into an envelop, and drop it into the safe through a slot on the door. Cashier can not open the door to take the money out, unless they have a key or know the combination. And cashiers usually are not given the combination or keys, it's main manager's job to take money out.
So it's not surprising at all she was supposed to drop the money into the safe but could not open the safe. And she didn't say she didn't have access to the safe, she said she couldn't open it.
None of this is hinky at all if you know how it is supposed to work.

That's not how it works. Cashier is supposed to take money out of the register, put it into an envelop, and drop it into the safe through a slot on the door. Cashier can not open the door to take the money out, unless they have a key or know the combination. And cashiers usually are not given the combination or keys, it's main manager's job to take money out.
So it's not surprising at all she was supposed to drop the money into the safe but could not open the safe. And she didn't say she didn't have access to the safe, she said she couldn't open it.
None of this is hinky at all if you know how it is supposed to work.

So the robber hit the jackpot because she wasn't doing something so simple as to drop money into a slot.

I just saw her TV news interview. Hinky.

JMO

It's obvious you never worked retail. First of all, if they had two registers open, 400$ would be about $200 per register.
Which is barely enough to give change to everybody.
I don't see anything hinky here at all.
In fact the company apologized and offered her job back.

$200 per register is a couple of 50s, some 20s, and a few smaller bills. That is NOT a lot of money.

I think they wanted her gone and found an excuse. The biggest red flag to me is that they ever suggested she should pay it back to begin with. WTF is up with that? IF they suspected her of theft, they should file a police report, not demand she pay it back. Makes no sense. JMO

It's obvious you never worked retail. First of all, if they had two registers open, 400$ would be about $200 per register.
Which is barely enough to give change to everybody.
I don't see anything hinky here at all.
In fact the company apologized and offered her job back.
Agreed. I cashiered full-time at Kohl's last Christmas season. It is the manager's responsibility to clean out the drawers, and we had way more than $400 in our registers at a time and 6 registers on each side, most of them open when we were the busiest. We didn't even have our drop boxes operating, but they keep surveillance cameras on the registers, you are logged in by your employee number, and not only is a manager in the area or pageable at all times, we have in-house security people as well.

Agreed. I cashiered full-time at Kohl's last Christmas season. It is the manager's responsibility to clean out the drawers, and we had way more than $400 in our registers at a time and 6 registers on each side, most of them open when we were the busiest. We didn't even have our drop boxes operating, but they keep surveillance cameras on the registers, you are logged in by your employee number, and not only is a manager in the area or pageable at all times, we have in-house security people as well.

There was 60$ per register limit where I worked. Which is frankly not enough to give change with. I think the company knows this full well, but sets the limit so they could blame the worker in case of robbery.
Dropping money into safe was each cashier's responsibility, so it could differ from place to place.

It is Popeye's, which is even low on the fast food chain list. Most likely, neither the manager nor any employees were putting all their effort into the job.
There's now a good outcome for the employee. Can't we be happy for that?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd
Back