1027 users online (224 members and 803 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

NY - Charkendra Baker, 13, shot to death, Rochester, 26 Feb 2005

Charkendra Baker kept her relationship with her 21-year-old boyfriend more or less a secret.

Her friends and family knew he existed, but they say they were never properly introduced to Isaac Allen Jones, whom 13-year-old Charkendra called by his street name, Severe.

When she came home with new clothes and shoes gifts from Jones Charkendra led her mother to believe the items were from her cousin, Dana Usher. When she told family members that Jones was only 16, or 18, they say they expressed concern and even outrage about her dating someone so much older, but they never guessed he was eight years older.

When she disappeared for days at a time, family members say they could only assume she was with Jones. Charkendra rarely divulged where she was going. She was just "on the go all the time," her father, Charles Baker Sr., says.
    http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...0335/1002/NEWS
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Assuming is one of the many mistakes this family made with this girl.

Can't someone, anyone access the services this child so desperatly needs and actually save her from this horrible situation called "her life".

Every experience, both good and bad imprints and affects a person to a verying degree.

I don't think any adult could have coped with what this "child was going through", someone has to step up to the "plate" and instead of saying, or commenting about this child's behaviour and her experiences, they should actually care and do something for her.

What a waste of a life and the pain and suffering she had to go though defies my logic.

It is like everyone gave up on her and allowed her to self-destruct, when there are obvious signs.

I know DCS and DCFS which is called Children's Aid in my province, would have been altered to this behaviour and placed this child in care in a stable home.

There would be no doubt, even if they went to court. This "family" cold not properly raise this child and sat back and did nothing. But given their history........

It is too late for Charkendra Baker. She had run away to her boyfriends again, she died due to a gunshot from a gun in his hands. He has been charged with second degree murder, but claims the shooting was accidental. There is no mention of Children's services in this article, but they do mention the family and school were working with her.
    It is a very long article, but very much worth reading. It covers the child's life, the challenges she faced, the challenges that her parents and the school faced with her. The events that led to her death.
    The article is well written and provides an illustration of the challenges of raising a child under difficult circumstances. Yes there are things that could have been done, things that should have been done. But there was also the challenge of the child herself. There is no blame to anyone in the article. Just an explanation of what happened.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew
    It is a very long article, but very much worth reading. It covers the child's life, the challenges she faced, the challenges that her parents and the school faced with her. The events that led to her death.
    The article is well written and provides an illustration of the challenges of raising a child under difficult circumstances. Yes there are things that could have been done, things that should have been done. But there was also the challenge of the child herself. There is no blame to anyone in the article. Just an explanation of what happened.
    I agree that the article was well written. The whole thing is just way too sad.

She was just a throw a way child. People claimed to care about her, but in the end, no one did nothing.

The child is the child. The adults SHOULD have stepped in well before it got to the point of this child dying at the hands of an adult.

Again, where where the services, not lip services, but real services to help and gide this child thorugh all of the trama in her life.

2luvmy is offline RIP Ragdoll. You don't get to choose how you're going to die, or when. You can only decide how you're going to live now.
    Exactly. I could tell that her family cared about her....but what happened to parenting? I wouldhave held my kid down if I knew she had a habit of leaving for DAYS or called someone. I willfully turn her over to someone to help her. It seems as if they just let her roam around and "just bo on the go". My DD is 14. I just don't see he out and about on her own for days. Not without doing more than just talking to her about it.

Just so sad. Everyone failed her....the school, her family, everyone.

I have to agree ... what parent lets their 13 year old stay gone for days at a time? First time it happens to my kid, he or she will be grounded and I don't think the child would do that again after what I would tell him or her.

Edited to add:
    I just finished reading the whole story and I am in fact very sad for CharKendra's mother and her siblings. They didn't have much of anything except each other and now they've lost one of their own.
    It's sad that sure, things could've been prevented, but then maybe this was the plan that was set for her life ... to move on a little sooner than we all get to, to a better place

I pray for all of their family and hope that Charkendra is at peace in Heaven.

It is so sad to hear and see that one's life can't be accelerated to a higher goal. That one can be so bogged down that hope is redeemed from an irresponsible boyfriend. And that others would be virtually silent to allow this to happen as if he was a savior of some sort. There is parental irresponsibilty even though I recognize they were not equipped.So, don't have children if you can't accept the responsibilty for them and make sure that they have an adequate foothole in society.

Totally dysfunctional family. That's the kindest thing I can say. Yes, she really is in a better place now, poor child.

"But Charkendra, at 13, was responding to more than raging hormones; she was reacting to the chaos that was her life: her parents' separation, her mother's nine-month prison stint, her father's addictions and habitual absence, a house fire, an armed home invasion, alleged molestation by her grandmother's one-time boyfriend, and an abortion. "

This poor girl never had a chance.........

A 22-year-old man convicted of second-degree manslaughter in the death of his 13-year-old girlfriend drew the maximum sentence of 7 1/3 to 22 years in prison Wednesday.

Isaac Jones apologized for the Feb. 26 shooting that killed Charkendra Baker.

"I feel for her family. I messed up," Jones said. "I wish I could do something to bring her back. I want her family to forgive me for what I did."

Jones was acquitted of second-degree murder at his trial. He was convicted of third-degree criminal possession of a weapon.
    http://www.nynewsday.com/news/local/...gion-apnewyork

Am I reading this right? The parents didn't have any problem with her dating what they initially thought was her cousin?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
    Am I reading this right? The parents didn't have any problem with her dating what they initially thought was her cousin?
    Billy, They never thought that she was dating her cousin. They thought that her cousin, Dana, was buying her new clothes and gifts. But, she wasn't. The boyfriend was.

Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew
    A 22-year-old man convicted of second-degree manslaughter in the death of his 13-year-old girlfriend drew the maximum sentence of 7 1/3 to 22 years in prison Wednesday.

Isaac Jones apologized for the Feb. 26 shooting that killed Charkendra Baker.

"I feel for her family. I messed up," Jones said. "I wish I could do something to bring her back. I want her family to forgive me for what I did."

Jones was acquitted of second-degree murder at his trial. He was convicted of third-degree criminal possession of a weapon.
    http://www.nynewsday.com/news/local/...gion-apnewyork
    I, I, I, I. I read over and over and over what this criminal wants. Seems to be his M.O. Selfish prick molests and then murders a child and her family gave her to him on a silver platter.

Shame on her family for letting her come and go as she pleased.
    I'm sorry for their loss, but maybe they should've thought about her as 'their baby' when she was still alive. For the simple fact that she was still a child.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast