AJ's life as a Longwood University student

President Reveley’s email to campus concerning Anjelica “AJ” Hadsell
April 10, 2015

There is gravely difficult news to share. As you may have begun to hear through news reports, police have identified remains found in Southampton County as those of our missing student, Anjelica "AJ" Hadsell.

Though the weight of this horrible prospect has loomed, today extinguishes our hope of AJ’s safe return and confirms our worst fear. Our thoughts are profoundly with her family. These past weeks, they have endured unimaginable anguish and uncertainty, and now they must confront the terrible grief of this loss.

As we keep AJ's family foremost in our thoughts, our tight-knit community will also feel great heartache. My thoughts are especially with those at Longwood who knew AJ best – her hometown friends, her hallmates, her fellow members of the club softball and club field hockey teams, her professors. I also know how many of you, even if you did not know AJ personally, have been deeply affected and concerned these past weeks. I know how many of you wore ribbons and reached out to friends and family beyond Longwood to raise awareness of the search. We are also grateful to the Longwood Police, who have helped to the utmost in aiding the Norfolk Police in whatever way they could. All of Longwood shares enormously in this grief. I am personally deeply grateful to the Norfolk officials with whom I and others here have been in close touch throughout, and who have worked tirelessly and with such compassion in an investigation that continues.

In the days and weeks ahead, I encourage all of us to reach out – to faculty, friends, student affairs staff and to our counseling center – to share your feelings and support. Days and grief such as this yield nothing except perspective, and call us all to care that much more for one another. At an appropriate juncture and with the wishes of the family, we will look to hold a service on campus in AJ's memory.

President Reveley
Friends, Teammates Hold Vigil at Longwood University for A.J. Hadsell
Posted: Apr 20, 2015 9:22 PM CST
By Scott Wilson

Farmville, VA - An emotional night in Farmville Monday, as friends and teammates of 18-year-old A.J. Hadsell held a candlelight vigil in her honor.

The Longwood University freshman went missing over spring break. Her body was found earlier this month in Southampton County.

A.J. Hadsell's number 6 club softball jersey hung in front of the crowd of students at Longwood University Monday night. On it, her teammates had written the words "fly free". They say it is because A.J. was and will always be their angel.

cont. at the link

I have a question:
Has anyone confirmed or asked if AJ had a recent shoulder injury? I read one of her recent twitter posts and she mentioned her "Broken" shoulder.

I'm very curious as to what AJ brought home with her to have with her during Spring Break.

Maybe we might like to have a thread for What's Missing and What's Accounted for? (AJ's personal belongings.)

For example: Did she have these items with her in Norfolk and are they accounted for if she did?

Cellphone (We know she had it but where is it, now?)
Personal Computer/laptop/IPad/Kindle?
IPod
Backsack (Backpack)
Wallet
Eye Glasses/Contacts
Jacket or Coat
Boots or Winter Shoes
Gloves
Scraves
Hat
Dental Retainer
Knee Brace
Hair and Beauty Products as well as toiletries (toothbrush)
Car Keys
House and Dorm Room Key/Keys
Dorm Building/Access Card/Pass
Jewelry (Rings, necklaces/ear rings)

Zapped, a current college student, adds:
Any Assigned Homework (even over spring break)
Notebooks, Pens, Pencils,
Possibly a laptop bag with some school books in it
College ID, which she would likely carry in her wallet/phone case.

Inthedetails adds:
Pillow (I agree, I always take mine whenever I stay somewhere.)

Thanks so much for starting this forum.

I feel like I've heard very little about AJ's time at Longwood. This period of time--living away from her mother and the rest of her family for the first time, meeting new people--seems like a really crucial time in most people's life. I'm not so old that I don't remember my freshman year, which was fragmented and strange and life-changing.

So seriously: what do we know? How well was she doing academically? Did she get along with her roommate(s)? Why join the club team rather than the "regular" team (sorry, don't know the proper terminology)? Was she going home every weekend? (I have a sense that she was going home a lot, but I may have misinterpreted or misremembered what I read.)

And is there any reason to link anything that happened at Longwood to what happened to AJ? That is, were people there questioned seriously as potential witnesses or even perps?

According to think link, all LU students are required to have a laptop:

http://www.longwood.edu/usersupport/laptop.htm

My guess is she would have brought it home for spring break rather than leave it in a dorm. I wonder if LE was able to obtain it?

I've wondered about this myself since her laptop has never once been mentioned by msm, family, etc. Naturally just assuming of course she did have one for school, but no question she'd have all sorts of personal info on there as well. Hopefully things that have answered some questions for LE as they investigate.

I've wondered about this myself since her laptop has never once been mentioned by msm, family, etc. Naturally just assuming of course she did have one for school, but no question she'd have all sorts of personal info on there as well. Hopefully things that have answered some questions for LE as they investigate.
Yes, we heard about the phone from the description given to searchers, and the Thole search with machetes and metal detectors was specifically for the phone as it "pinged" there. Nothing about a laptop missing. So hopefully it was in the home and a good source of info for LE. If it wasn't, it would certainly be a question as to where it went!

Hoping that some of her Lancer Family will come here and share stories about Our Girl. :rose:

Can anyone familiar with Longwood discern if this photo on Anjelica's google+ is from a dorm room?

https://plus.google.com/102818079771900411895/photos

hey you, Hoosgirl

LU has a page devoted to information on AJ, IIRC, linked to the media thread, you might inquire there, for a clean read. I'm starting to pull some information together and to ask the thread mappers to consider including points of interest, as time permits, in addition to what SBHack so expertly pulled together. Please, post the information on thread with and "info for map" heads up, if you wish, tia.

I apologize for dropping the ball on my twitter research. After receiving the green light from the Mods to post AJ's personal tweets (in order to keep the focus on Our Girl), I am hoping others will join me in taking a look at her feed. My approach includes redacting the @handles of anyone she communicates with, just to err on the side of caution. :moo:

As I've stated on other threads, it offers a window into her daily life, her thoughts, and personality.

I look forward to hearing your analysis. I promise to post more on this subject ASAP.

http://twitter.com/anjelicamariee

:floating:
:rose:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Odd that she got an offer of $200 for a shopping spree when she got back on Spring Break. Wierd coincidence.

I apologize for dropping the ball on my twitter research. After receiving the green light from the Mods to post AJ's personal tweets (in order to keep the focus on Our Girl), I am hoping others will join me in taking a look at her feed. My approach includes redacting the @handles of anyone she communicates with, just to err on the side of caution. :moo:

As I've stated on other threads, it offers a window into her daily life, her thoughts, and personality.

I look forward to hearing your analysis. I promise to post more on this subject ASAP.

http://twitter.com/anjelicamariee

:rose:

Kimi, I am looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts about the tweets!

I started this post back in Mid-April, so lots of things have changed around here (with with the folders, etc.). That being said, I started this off with a query of AJ's threads for "financial aid." This wasn't the only post, but I felt it was pertinent to mention, because it's what led me on my quest to read AJ's twitter:
AJ had a financial aid at school, and a portion of it was recently sent to her account according to poster who looked through her tweets. I imagine the school has handed over all the records as according to MSM reports officials from the school visited with PD and have cooperated.

This topic was discussed by several WSers (with varying agreement), I am posting what AJ had to say herself. My approach is to always post corresponding links, dates/times, and redact the @twitterhandle of whomever she may have been communicating with (out of an abundance of caution). :heartluv:

Tweets from @anjelicamariee
Reverse chronological order:

8 Feb 15 - 10:56
@******** (redacted) ; that's what my mom said but all my AP scores sucked [emoji23][emoji30]
http://twitter.com/anjelicamariee/status/564497908717080576

8 Feb 15 - 9:37
Got a random check from Norview and have no idea why.. Not complaining though [emoji136]
http://twitter.com/anjelicamariee/status/564478184151089152

8 Feb 15 - 8:37
Did anyone else get a check from Norview?
http://twitter.com/anjelicamariee/status/564463060019326976

29 Jan 15 - 11:02
Hearing that your financial aid increased is always a good start to the day [emoji119]
http://twitter.com/anjelicamariee/status/560875537816903680
---
FYI: Twitter typically adjusts the timestamps to the viewer. I'm on the West Coast. Also, my iPhone is formatted to military time, so all of these tweets were posted in the morning my time (add 3 hours to adjust for Eastern time).
Hope that makes sense. :grouphug:
---

It's hard not to cry when intermittently when you read her twitter, because you really get a feel for her personality by reading her tweets. :tears:

There's another facet to this. AJ mentioned the possibility of a road trip during Spring Break, but then begged off (paraphrasing) due to finances. I'm not posting those tweets yet, because it involves a twitter conversation with someone (?fellow student?) and I'm not sure how Bessie wants me to handle this.

I feel it is VERY important, considering the tweets I just posted. She had financial aid, checks coming in, so this is really interesting. It is also beyond heartbreaking, because the tone of her tweets reveal (IMO) her excitement at the prostepct, and knowing what happened to her, you can't help but ask, "What if...?" Because I have no supporting link at this time, :moo:

I will update the thread with more ASAP. I truly apologize for the delay. I look forward to your thoughts.

#JusticeForAJ

I started this post back in Mid-April, so lots of things have changed around here (with with the folders, etc.). That being said, I started this off with a query of AJ's threads for "financial aid." This wasn't the only post, but I felt it was pertinent to mention, because it's what led me on my quest to read AJ's twitter:

This topic was discussed by several WSers (with varying agreement), I am posting what AJ had to say herself. My approach is to always post corresponding links, dates/times, and redact the @twitterhandle of whomever she may have been communicating with (out of an abundance of caution). :heartluv:

@******** (redacted) ; that's what my mom said but all my AP scores sucked [emoji23][emoji30]

Got a random check from Norview and have no idea why.. Not complaining though [emoji136]

Hearing that your financial aid increased is always a good start to the day [emoji119]
---
FYI: Twitter typically adjusts the timestamps to the viewer. I'm on the West Coast. Also, my iPhone is formatted to military time, so all of these tweets were posted in the morning my time (add 3 hours to adjust for Eastern time).
---

It's hard not to cry when intermittently when you read her twitter, because you really get a feel for her personality by reading her tweets. :tears:

There's another facet to this. AJ mentioned the possibility of a road trip during Spring Break, but then begged off (paraphrasing) due to finances. I'm not posting those tweets yet, because it involves a twitter conversation with someone (?fellow student?) and I'm not sure how Bessie wants me to handle this.

I feel it is VERY important, considering the tweets I just posted. She had financial aid, checks coming in, so this is really interesting. It is also beyond heartbreaking, because the tone of her tweets reveal (IMO) her excitement at the prostepct, and knowing what happened to her, you can't help but ask, "What if...?" Because I have no supporting link at this time, :moo:

I will update the thread with more ASAP. I truly apologize for the delay. I look forward to your thoughts.

#JusticeForAJ

You're a dream kimi, come true, too often not to be super special. I agree with you implicitly. And he was known to forge checks, her card was cut, so it's good to know the cooperation between LE and LU is solid in terms of tracking down her financial info, and I would think much much more. How often and when the adults in her life reached out to her while she was on campus would be key too, I would imagine.

What this poor girl got past to be where she was, how hard she worked, her good spirits, she just seems ages wiser than a mere 18 years old.

This topic was discussed by several WSers (with varying agreement), I am posting what AJ had to say herself. My approach is to always post corresponding links, dates/times, and redact the @twitterhandle of whomever she may have been communicating with (out of an abundance of caution). [emoji813]luv:

---
---

#JusticeForAJ

Thank you, Kimi! I really enjoyed your analysis. She was such a prolific tweeter/retweeter I am impressed at how you pulled out those financial pieces. I look forward to reading more of your thoughts.

The check from Norview wouldn't have been "big money" - for what it's worth. Likely linked to a grant program for selected AP courses.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
legalpyro74
Back