1184 users online (233 members and 951 guests)  

Websleuths News

CA - Betty Toepfer, 87, Riverside, 8 April 2015

Betty Toepfer

Family Worried Sick About Missing 87-Year-Old Grandmother In Riverside
    A Riverside family is worried sick about an 87-year-old woman who has been missing about two weeks.

“We’re devastated. The whole family is devastated,” Randall Toepfer said to KCAL9’s Tom Wait about his mother, Betty.

The mother of seven vanished back on April 8th. She was last seen on security camera leaving the main bus station in downtown Riverside.

“There’s some curio shops. She’s still – even at 87 – she’s pretty mobile,” Randall says.
    Toepfer told Wait his mother often takes the bus from where she lives with his brother in Riverside. And he says she has no major medical issues.

“She’s hard of hearing, and a bit forgetful at times but we didn’t believe it was a big problem. She really liked to get out of the house,” he explains.

Toepfer’s son says many of the shop owners and staff here in and around downtown Riverside know his mother because she often shops there. But on the day she went missing he says that many of them are saying they don’t remember seeing her.
    My kids are a window to my past, a mirror of today, a door to tomorrow, and a keeper of this proud old dad's heart forever.

Update 04-15-15:

Video surveillance captured Betty Toepfer exiting the RTA bus at the downtown Riverside terminal on Wednesday, April 8, 2015, at 9:45 A.M. She was last seen alone, on foot, leaving the bus terminal towards the area of University and Market. In addition to downtown Riverside and the city of Jurpua Valley, it is possible Toepfer may have also taken the bus to the Galleria at Tyler located in the city of Riverside.

JURUPA VALLEY: Search continues for missing 87-year-old

My kids are a window to my past, a mirror of today, a door to tomorrow, and a keeper of this proud old dad's heart forever.

Betty has been added to NamUs: https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/show/28569
    Status Missing
    First name Betty
    Middle name Jean
    Last name Toepfer
    Date last seen April 08, 2015 00:00
    Date entered 05/06/2015
    Age last seen 87 to years old
    Age now 87 years old
    Race White
    Ethnicity Other
    Sex Female
    Height (inches) 63.0
    Weight (pounds) 115.0
    Dental Status: Dental information / charting is available and entered
    DNA Status: Initial inquiry underway
    Fingerprint Information Status: Fingerprint information is currently not available

Two months after 87-year-old goes missing, search continues
    Published: June 11, 2015 Updated: 5:38 p.m.

Two months after an 87-year-old woman was reporting missing from Jurupa Valley, Riverside County sheriff’s officials said she has still not been found.

But the search for Betty Jean Toepfer has not ended, sheriff’s Deputy Armando Munoz said via email.

In addition to getting the word out to the public that Toepfer is still missing, the Sheriff’s Department has used bloodhounds, its Aviation Unit and canvassing investigators to search the Jurupa Valley and Riverside areas. All to no avail.

"It is not unusual for Betty (Toepfer) not to be home as she is known to catch the bus at Vernon Avenue and Mission Boulevard and ride it to downtown Riverside."

Very nicely written and also informativ article about Betty from April 2016

I remember reading about this woman, and am sorry to hear she has not yet been found.

Maybe it's just me not being very good with faces, but she looks so different from one photo to the next! First, I thought, wow, the capture of her on the bus the day she disappeared sure doesn't look like that first picture of Betty in the suit jacket. But now the smiling photo of her at the link Darling posted again looks like yet another person, to me! Granted, that one might be an older photo, but I wouldn't have recognized that was her. I wonder if her "chameleon looks" might contribute to her being hard to spot!