Identified! CT - New Britain, Human remains behind strip mall, Apr'15 - Marilyn Gonzalez

FiveFelines

Reaction score
http://wtnh.com/2015/04/28/additional-human-remains-found-behind-new-britain-shopping-plaza/

Police said the three sets of remains found belonged to women who had gone missing in 2003. Police said that after examining the remains in 2007, they were able to identify the remains as those of Diane Cusack, Mary Jane Menard, and Joyvaline Martinez. The deaths of these three women had been previously ruled to be homicides.
Officers said that between their 2007 investigation and today, the area has been periodically searched in an attempt to find any additional human remains. Last Tuesday (April 21st), officers began searching the area again using specially trained canines and equipment. On Tuesday (April 28th), additional human remains were found.

Although they are referred as a "fourth set" of remains in some reports, it's possible that these are remains belonging to one of the three women already identified, since their remains were only partially recovered in 2007.

I was just going to post this, but you beat me to it, lol! Yeah from what I've heard the remains found have not yet been confirmed to have come from a 4th individual, and if I remember correctly very few bones from one of the ID'd women were found, and they never found her skull. Hopefully this new find will yield clues to the identity of the killer...

I'm meeting my daughter at Westfarms Mall for lunch tomorrow. I'll let you know if I see anything interesting.

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/...pdate-in-Serial-Homicides-Case-303210871.html

The New Britain police just wrapped up a press conference. In addition to Cusack, Martinez and Menard, at least FOUR more additional sets of remains have been discovered, and one of THOSE has already been identified as Melanie Camilini who went missing from Seymour, CT in 2003. Police have a suspect in custody on an unrelated charge. They believed all 7 people were killed by the same person, and that the newly discovered remains have been there for over a decade.

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/...pdate-in-Serial-Homicides-Case-303210871.html

The New Britain police just wrapped up a press conference. In addition to Cusack, Martinez and Menard, at least FOUR more additional sets of remains have been discovered, and one of THOSE has already been identified as Melanie Camilini who went missing from Seymour, CT in 2003. Police have a suspect in custody on an unrelated charge. They believed all 7 people were killed by the same person, and that the newly discovered remains have been there for over a decade.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/c/camilini_melanie.html

camilini_melanie[1].jpg

I'm curious if one of other sets of remains belong to Nilsa Arizmendi and if William Howell was somehow involved in these deaths:

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/a/arizmendi_nilsa.html

On May 13, 2005, Howell was arrested in Virginia and charged with Arizmendi's murder. At the time of her disappearance, he was living in Connecticut and earned his living doing odd jobs and cutting grass at homes and businesses in Wethersfield, Hartford, New Britain and West Hartford. Howell told authorities Arizmendi's blood was in his van because she and her boyfriend had gotten into a fight there. He was on trial in January 2007 when he pleaded guilty to manslaughter. He was sentenced to fifteen years in prison. Howell entered an Alford Plea, meaning that he did not admit he had killed Arizmendi but acknowledged there was sufficient evidence to convict him in her death. He also pleaded guilty to intimidating a witness.

Arizmendi's remains have never been located. Authorities believe Howell may have also murdered the unidentified female whose blood was found in his van, but he has not been charged.

I'm meeting my daughter at Westfarms Mall for lunch tomorrow. I'll let you know if I see anything interesting.

Forgot to update this -- no, I couldn't see anything from the road. They had apparently finished by the time I was there. But the area is still heavily treed and quite isolated even in the daytime. It's right at the end of the exit ramp from route 9 in an area that is even now pretty empty after the malls close at night. He could have pulled off the highway and been behind the restaurant (don't know if it was there at the time) in less than half a minute. Even if he had been seen, he would most likely have been taken for an employee leaving after closing up.

Rumor on the street was that the man they suspect went to jail in 2007 and that's why there aren't any killings more recent than that. Sounds like the media articles are saying more or less the same thing?

Forgot to update this -- no, I couldn't see anything from the road. They had apparently finished by the time I was there. But the area is still heavily treed and quite isolated even in the daytime. It's right at the end of the exit ramp from route 9 in an area that is even now pretty empty after the malls close at night. He could have pulled off the highway and been behind the restaurant (don't know if it was there at the time) in less than half a minute. Even if he had been seen, he would most likely have been taken for an employee leaving after closing up.

Rumor on the street was that the man they suspect went to jail in 2007 and that's why there aren't any killings more recent than that. Sounds like the media articles are saying more or less the same thing?

In that case, it definitely sounds like William Devin Howell (see my post above).

Other women missing in CT, pre-2005: Bettina Scott, Marilyn Gonzalez, Zelma Ortiz, Evelyn Frisco. Also Daniel Whistnant, who lived as a woman.

Other women missing in CT, pre-2005: Bettina Scott, Marilyn Gonzalez, Zelma Ortiz, Evelyn Frisco. Also Daniel Whistnant, who lived as a woman.

Two names the locals were mentioning were Maria Anjiras and Omayra Velasquez. Those are both much older cases.

The Boston news mentioned that they're also looking for connections with the New Bedford murders (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Bedford_Highway_Killer) in 1988-89. There are other unsolved murders around New England that fit a similar profile that are also being looked at.

I hope we get some answers soon.

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/Sources-ID-Suspected-Serial-Killer-303430541.html

The man suspected of killing at least seven people and burying their bodies behind a New Britain shopping center has been identified as William Devin Howell, 45, who is imprisoned at Garner Correctional Institution, on unrelated manslaughter charges, multiple sources familiar with the investigation tell NBC Connecticut exclusively.
Howell’s current 15-year sentence stems from the homicide of Nilsa Arizmendi, a 33-year-old Wethersfield resident who disappeared in 2003. Her body was never recovered. Howell was on trial for her murder but pleaded guilty to the lesser charge of manslaughter in a deal with prosecutors in 2007, according to the state Division of Criminal Justice website.
Howell was taken into custody in North Carolina in 2004 and his van – which Arizmendi was last seen entering – was seized as evidence. Authorities said they found Arizmendi’s blood in the van, along with the blood of another, unidentified person. They also found a videotape with footage that shows two other women, according to the DCJ. Their identities – and their fates – are unknown.

He's 45 now, which would make him just 18-19 at the time of the New Bedford murders. Totally possible though. I wonder where he was in the late '80s.

Another to add to the list is Monica Hartnett https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/26821/0

Also, it looks like Maria Anjiras is not a possibility any longer - Howell would have only been 6 years old at the time of her disappearance.

i just came to post this.. that they named a suspect.

they need to look for his wheeabouts in the previous years, one doesnt just ball out and start killing 7-8 women in ONE year. they start off slower i thought.

i read a post yesterday where they thought monica hartnett may be the skeletal remains found near a former landfill.

llads;11766032]Another to add to the list is Monica Hartnett https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/26821/0

Also, it looks like Maria Anjiras is not a possibility any longer - Howell would have only been 6 years old at the time of her disappearance.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think they are looking at Monica for the Doe found in Vernon, CT. But neither suggestion is outside the realm of possibility.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back