MD - Officers Injured, Baltimore Businesses Shut Down Amid Violent Riots - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep hearing now about how these kids are not given the same opportunities. It's making me so mad. Those who get ahead in life are rarely "given" opportunity, they create it and seize it. Those sitting around for opportunity to knock will grow old in the same place. I firmly believe where there is a will there is a way. Unless you are a trustfund baby, you have to make it happen yourself. There are winners and losers in life, and it all comes down to attitude and persistence.

I just want to say, I am from the area, and some of those kids are not given the same opportunities. That part of Baltimore, North Ave, is extremely poor. Most of the houses are boarded up and drugs run rampant through there. It is a place of broken homes, it is actually really sad. I think a lot of people are getting a good look at what the inner city is really like. Some of those kids never leave the neighborhood...all they see is drug dealers and violence. They don't have TVs and internet so that is how they think life is.

I used to keep an eye on a little boy and little girl there, they were 4 and 3. Their guardian would stand outside drinking on the corner while the kids did as they pleased. Noone fed them lunch, they got a bag of chips from the corner store if they were lucky. They knew the dope boys by name and it was the dealers and gangbangers who would give them attention and food. Those are who them kids looked up to; there was no other role models. That is real life for some of those kids.

I agree that she appears to be in over her head. But I disagree that the media distorted her message. I think she did mean to say that she allowed them 'space' for some civil unrest but I don't think she expected it to go sideways so fast and so far. JMO

Respectfully, I think that part of the problem in general is leadership talking out of both sides of their mouth and basically sending mixed messages imo (when protests escalate into crime/riots/looting/arson). It's important to make decisive decisions that curb the criminal behavior immediately. Waffling doesn't do anyone any good, it only enables those that want to cause mayhem the ability to destroy property and it becomes enormously expensive quickly. The message should be let the investigations and judicial process play out for the LE involved in Gray's death because wheels of justice take time, and any rioting/criminal conduct will not be tolerated at all, no leeway. Plus media not giving crips etc. face time or allowing people to make "demands." This waffling gets expensive and dangerous for law-abiding citizens real quick. Jmo/

Shimon Prokupecz ‏@ShimonPro 3m3 minutes ago
Residents on the streets here getting agitated that police are out in riot gear like this #baltimorepolice
https://twitter.com/ShimonPro/status/593189445609852928

Shimon Prokupecz ‏@ShimonPro 3m3 minutes ago
People here now asking why is this necessary? Woman asked police captain to move cops back. #baltimoreriots
https://twitter.com/ShimonPro/status/593189507744342016

Re the first tweet: so they think it would be a good idea for LE to be unprotected? There is still the occasioal bottle or brick flying around. Would they be willing to stand with the officers if they took the gear off?

I just want to say, I am from the area, and some of those kids are not given the same opportunities. That part of Baltimore, North Ave, is extremely poor. Most of the houses are boarded up and drugs run rampant through there. It is a place of broken homes, it is actually really sad. I think a lot of people are getting a good look at what the inner city is really like. Some of those kids never leave the neighborhood...all they see is drug dealers and violence. They don't have TVs and internet so that is how they think life is.

I used to keep an eye on a little boy and little girl there, they were 4 and 3. Their guardian would stand outside drinking on the corner while the kids did as they pleased. Noone fed them lunch, they got a bag of chips from the corner store if they were lucky. They knew the dope boys by name and it was the dealers and gangbangers who would give them attention and food. Those are who them kids looked up to; there was no other role models. That is real life for some of those kids.

Wow, that really is terrible, those poor kids, no wonder they just follow the path of the drug dealers, there would be hardly any other option.

And whose fault is that? Isn't it the PARENTS fault for having kids and not caring for them? Why keep blaming it on everyone else.
Lots of kids end up with horrid childhoods. My uncle raped me for years starting when I was in kindergarten. It really messed me up for awhile. But eventually I had to DECIDE to overcome. My life was not all unicorns and strawberries either.

I see lots of college kids from middle class homes out in these protests, yelling EFF DA PIGS. And they aRE EDUCATED, and have plenty of opportunities. But dancing in the streets and setting fire to cars is just too much fun to resist I suppose.

Burning buildings and looting business is not going to improve that neighborhood.

A town hall meeting is starting in Baltimore in a few minutes organized by Rev. Bryant. He informs us that 500 religious leaders will be in attendance as well as other grass roots advocacy leaders whose work has been to engage youth in positive ways. Many other leaders are out on the streets in Baltimore and are urging people to be non-violent. I am hopeful for this meeting and the other strategies that other advocacy leaders are working on. Sending prayers to Baltimore tonight.

A town hall meeting is starting in Baltimore in a few minutes organized by Rev. Bryant. He informs us that 500 religious leaders will be in attendance as well as other grass roots advocacy leaders whose work has been to engage youth in positive ways. Many other leaders are out on the streets in Baltimore and are urging people to be non-violent. I am hopeful for this meeting and the other strategies that other advocacy leaders are working on. Sending prayers to Baltimore tonight.

i'm hearing on the news that this is an age-old problem . . . where have they been for the past several years? i have yet to hear any of the clergy call the looters criminals.

And whose fault is that? Isn't it the PARENTS fault for having kids and not caring for them? Why keep blaming it on everyone else.
Lots of kids end up with horrid childhoods. My uncle raped me for years starting when I was in kindergarten. It really messed me up for awhile. But eventually I had to DECIDE to overcome. My life was not all unicorns and strawberries either.

I see lots of college kids from middle class homes out in these protests, yelling EFF DA PIGS. And they aRE EDUCATED, and have plenty of opportunities. But dancing in the streets and setting fire to cars is just too much fun to resist I suppose.

I am not giving excuses for anyone or placing blame on anyone else. I am just saying that is how life is for them. I am also not saying that these are the same kids out there looting and rioting.

As far as the middle class, college kids yelling things...I don't know what is up with them...

I don't live in an inner city. I live in a small town. I also know many single parents, parents that work at any job they can find. They try to spend time with the kids when they are off and to make sure someone else is with them when they can't be.

I also know other single parents. They don't work. Not all but some of them also don't watch their e kids. Or fix meals or do for them. That isn't the system's fault that is the parents fault. Both parents not just the single caregiver.

I hear about how the inner city kids are deprived because there are no services for them. None of the towns in my area have community centers or recreational buildings. The park usually consists of a ball field and a basketball hoop. Maybe a set of swings if they are lucky. Some of the local towns do not have a grocery store, only gas stations. There is no pool for summer.

Am I and my family neglected and we didn't know it? Should we riot to call attention to our deprivation? If our children get arrested, hooked on drugs or killed during criminal activity should I blame the system instead of them?

CNN is not showing this but local TV is showing dancers and marching bands going through the streets. People of all races and ages are coming together peacefully.

i'm hearing on the news that this is an age-old problem . . . where have they been for the past several years? i have yet to hear any of the clergy call the looters criminals.
SABBM

Well maybe they ought to call them that; and say it like it is. Just my .02 and also marking my spot.

Thoughts and prayers go out to the innocents caught up in this, like store owners ,law enforcement, etc. :(

SABBM

Well maybe they ought to call them that; and say it like it is. Just my .02 and also marking my spot.

Thoughts and prayers go out to the innocents caught up in this, like store owners ,law enforcement, etc. :(

:grouphug:

Wow, that really is terrible, those poor kids, no wonder they just follow the path of the drug dealers, there would be hardly any other option.

That is the story of my life as a youngster yet I can tell you with certainty there are other options.

Moo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member