NY - Suspect Fatally Shot by Detective in East Village Had Mental Illness and ...

shadowraiths

LISK Liaison, Verified Forensic Psychology Special
Staff member
Reaction score
3202d77f.gif

Suspect Fatally Shot by Detective in East Village Had Mental Illness and a Troubled Past

Harold Carter and Vicente Matias, two veteran detectives from a Harlem police precinct, arrived at a six-story building on East Sixth Street in Manhattan on Saturday afternoon in search of a robbery suspect.

After being buzzed inside, they were told that the building housed people with mental illness. They were also told the suspect, Felix David, lived in a sixth-floor room and had been given a diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenia, according to a written statement provided to the police by the nonprofit agency that runs the East Village residence.

Then they headed upstairs to arrest him.

But what began as a seemingly routine visit on Saturday erupted into a violent struggle in a narrow first-floor hallway and ended with a single shot. On Sunday, a fuller picture began to emerge about Mr. David’s troubled life and the events that led to his fatal shooting.

EYESR_zps1dff9e53.gif

NY Times

Good lord (from an atheist) body cams? Imo, the public really needs to see more about this inured officer - especially if no body cam video exists. This mans condition was not new or news - wth?

It's about time the state/fed gov't put money back into treating and housing for the mentally ill. I believe that would result in a lot of new facilities being built, as well as a drop in conflicts with LE. I'd venture to say many of the clashes with police are instigated by undiagnosed/undisclosed people with mental illness.

The building where this known mentally ill person resided did house other mentally ill people - as told to the detectives - per the linked article in post #1.

This was preventable not to mention unnecessary imo. Unless there is another agenda at play most people are unaware of.

I don't know. There does seem to be a policy failure. There is an Emergency Services Unit who are better to deal with this type of situation. But they weren't called. And apparently there is no policy directing them to be called.

OTOH detectives did have injuries. In any hand to hand contact there always has to be a concern that the suspect might be able to reach their weapons, and that would have been a danger not only to the detectives but also the other residents. And he does have a history of violence.

In a hospital situation when he began to struggle he most likely would have recieved a shot. Buthe wasn't in a hospital and the officers can't give meds. Once they made contact with him they couldn't just let him go. If they had he could have been a danger to others. Pepper spray is often not effective with this type of suspect.

The building where this known mentally ill person resided did house other mentally ill people - as told to the detectives - per the linked article in post #1.

This was preventable not to mention unnecessary imo. Unless there is another agenda at play most people are unaware of.

It seems this was only a place to "house" them, and from what I read, they were free to come and go and he did...

"Two days before the shooting, the police said, Mr. David interrupted a presentation being given by a female friend at City College and demanded to talk to her. After an argument, the police said, Mr. David punched the woman in the face, stole her purse and fled."
from linked NYT article

Ok - so the residence was known to house those with a known mentally illness. Tread with a little caution? Call someone better equipped to deal with such a person?

Or shoot him because he allegedly punched someone and stole a purse? Before he had his day in court? Was he entitled to that day? Rolling Stone magazine will tread more cautiously in the future - allegations are just that until court testimony.

As for injuries to a detective - body cam evidence? Or allegations?

Ok - so the residence was known to house those with a known mentally illness. Tread with a little caution? Call someone better equipped to deal with such a person?

Or shoot him because he allegedly punched someone and stole a purse? Before he had his day in court? Was he entitled to that day? Rolling Stone magazine will tread more cautiously in the future - allegations are just that until court testimony.

As for injuries to a detective - body cam evidence? Or allegations?

BBM

That would be nice. I doubt the cops WANT to answer these calls but they are forced to do so. Pretty unfair to send them int0 these types of volatile, erratic situations, unequipped to handle them.

I think shooting him was probably more related to struggling with LE if we look at the whole picture.

The female that he allegedly "punched" was allegedly a friend. I would guess that he may have been off his meds. And if off his meds and violent, that means that he is possibly a danger to others. And according to the article the struggle with LE was about 5 minutes. Which to me indicates they tried not to use their gun. 5 min seems like a short time, but during a struggle and concerned that he not reach their weapons it probably felt like a lifetime. According to the article both officers were observed with cuts on their face.

There may not have been a body cam, but (again from the article) it seems they took one of the staff members with them when they went to his room. So there should have been a witness to at least part of it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back