Missing sketch last seen in 1895 found in TV star's new/old home

zwiebel

Reaction score
British TV show presenter Bamber Gascoigne inherited a stately home from his aunt, a Duchess, when she died aged 99. In all his years of visiting her, he'd never set foot upstairs and as the new owner, found forgotten rooms stuffed with history and ....stuff.

Sothebys auctioneers were drafted in, and in a 'heartstopping' moment discovered a sketch (study) by Lord Leighton, hanging on a wall. It is an important preparatory sketch for his painting 'Flaming June', which is also known as 'The Mona Lisa of the Southern Hemisphere'. The sketch was last seen reprinted in a magazine in 1895, and was believed to be missing ever since.

It's expected to fetch at least £60,000 (nearly $90,000) at auction.

Note: I can't get over how much this story is like an old novel from the 1800s, with ancient aristocrats in mouldering mansions they can't afford to run, surrounded by treasures they don't even know they have. No TV shows in those days though. :)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/cel...0-years-found-in-Bamber-Gascoignes-house.html

Attachments

• flaming_june_3288727b.jpg
    flaming_june_3288727b.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 56
wow....I love that painting.....the sea look beautiful.

Thank you Zwiebel.

The painting is gorgeous and I too absolutely love Pre-Raphaelite paintings (and everything to do with the Arts and Crafts movement).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back