Reaction score
From today's Raleigh News & Observer:

(link to follow)

Published: Aug 18, 2005
Modified: Aug 18, 2005 3:00 AM

Slain woman was due for baby
Autopsy in killing reveals pregnancy

By SAMIHA KHANNA, Staff Writer

DURHAM -- Janet Abaroa was pregnant when she was stabbed to death in her West Durham home, an autopsy report shows.

Durham police have made no arrests in the death of Abaroa, who was found in a kneeling position in her bedroom at 2606 Ferrand Drive the night of April 26. She was 25. Her 6-month-old son was in another room, unharmed.

The victim's husband, Raven Abaroa, discovered his wife's body late that night and called 911, telling an operator he thought she had been shot, police said.

According to the report released by the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Chapel Hill, Janet Abaroa was stabbed in the neck and chest. It was likely the wound to the base of her neck, which cut into an artery and lung, that was the fatal blow, the report says. A sharp object also cut the woman's right middle finger, the report shows.

Tests conducted during the exam also revealed Janet Abaroa was pregnant, the report says. The report does not indicate the length of the pregnancy, and the pathologist who conducted the test could not be reached Wednesday.

Dena Kendall, the victim's sister who lives in southern Virginia, said she was devastated when she learned her late sister had been pregnant.

"I wanted to throw up," Kendall said. "I couldn't breathe."

Kendall said she couldn't describe the loss her family has felt since Janet, an avid athlete and new mom, was killed four months ago. But, Kendall said, hearing updates from the police helps relieve some of the grief.

"We're putting our faith in the police that they'll solve this case," Kendall said.

Husband raising child

Since the woman's death, Raven Abaroa has been raising the couple's baby, Kaiden, who will mark his first birthday this fall, Kendall said. The father and son have spent time this summer visiting relatives, including spending time with Janet Abaroa's family in Virginia in June, Kendall said.

More recently, Raven Abaroa and his son have moved to Utah to be near Raven Abaroa's mother and stepfather, Kendall said. He keeps in touch with his late wife's relatives by phone, she said. The couple would have celebrated their fifth wedding anniversary this month.

Embezzlement counts

Raven Abaroa is scheduled to return to North Carolina next week to appear in an Orange County court on five counts of felony embezzlement, according to a schedule published by the N.C. Administrative Office of the Courts. Raven Abaroa was charged with embezzlement while he and his wife were working at Eurosport, a sporting goods company in Hillsborough. Janet and Raven Abaroa left their jobs last winter after Hillsborough police charged Raven Abaroa with embezzling more than $9,000 from the company, according to arrest warrants.

Staff writer Samiha Khanna can be reached at 956-2468 or skhanna@newsobserver.com.

Unfortunately, you have to register to get on this story, but, here's the link nonetheless:

LINK: http://www.newsobserver.com/news/durham/durham/story/2731442p-9168974c.html

http://rdu.news14.com/content/headlines/?ArID=73447&SecID=2

Murdered Durham woman was pregnant
8/18/2005 8:41 AM
By: News 14 Carolina Staff

750.gif
01janet_abaroa2.jpg
750.gif
750.gif
Janet Abaroa
750.gif
A Durham woman killed in her home in April was pregnant. That's according to the autopsy report of Janet Abaroa.

Police said Abaroa's husband found her stabbed to death in their west Durham home on April 26th.

The medical examiner’s office said she had been stabbed in the neck and chest.

Police are still looking for suspects in the case. If you have information about the case, call Durham CrimeStoppers at (919) 683-1200.

NO WAY!!! I've got goose bumps reading this. I can't believe it.

I hope that the dam has broken and everything is going to come to light now.

Shame, shame, I know your name!!!

This makes me almost speechless...

And you're right GM, this could certainly play into the events of that evening, and maybe any events leading up to that night even.

It just overwhelms me with even more sadness though....

SouthEastSleuth said:
And you're right GM, this could certainly play into the events of that evening, and maybe any events leading up to that night even.
There's no way this couldn't play into that evening's events.

I just don't understand. Raven had to know his wife was pregnant. Why didn't he tell anyone? Why has he just gone on with his life as if nothing's happened? Participating in volleyball contests, etc.

I'm flippin' blown away at his behavior ... even Scott Peterson pretended to care.

Maybe he found out that evening? Oh, I wish they would have said how far along she was.

I bet she told him the minute she found out, and he had some time to think about it and it did not play into what he thought was his future plans.

Now, when you realize this information, and realize how LITTLE he has done to help the police, how he has not been actively seeking information into the Murderer of his Wife and CHILD, it makes me absolutely sick.

His toys are important, his needs, his wants, his & Janet's belongings, he goes on like the MURDERS never occurred, and yet he knew all this time she was pregnant. There is no way he didn't know.

I'm so sickened right now, read the passage in 2nutmeg again, go look up the entire passage. Disgusting, appalling and mortifying.

Please pray for the family of Janet as I am sure this is absolutely devestating to them. Prayers go out to Kaiden, who will never know his brother or sister.

Looks like someone was trying to HIDE Janet's light.

Again, I have to ask myself, why a bunch of strangers, friends and aquaintances have been more determined for JUSTICE for JANET than her own husband has been. Especially now knowing that she was pregnant.

The murderer "shall not have forgiveness in this world, nor in the world to come" (D&C 42:18).

I'll have to dig up the statute, but, I'm fairly certain that this past year, in the NC General Assembly, a law was passed - stating something to the effect that if someone murders another person, and IF it's proven that the murderer was AWARE that the victim was pregnant, then the felony class with which the murderer is charged, is automatically increased, ie., if the charge was a lesser homicide charge, then in the scenario described, the homicide charge can automatically be increased to a greater charge. (Hope that makes sense...)

So IF Raven is the perp, and IF Raven knew Janet was pregnant, then WHEN Raven is arrested, he's in even more serious trouble than ever...

Golfmom, you checking into Mormon religion these days?

I hope Raven's got those Depends on today. He's going to need them--I'm going to need them if the information comes like this.

Oh my. Maybe the case IS starting to break. How sad and stupid that these TWO lives were taken!

My level of frustration today is through the roof after the release of this information.

To Janet's family, you are constantly in my thoughts and prayers. I know today will be especially hard for ya'll. Know that there are a lot of people out here that will be praying for you today. Know that you are not alone.

Even if the *murderer* didn't view Janet's life as an innocent, certainly that sweet baby she was carry was. I hope you read my siggy line and know the true consequences of Janet's murder.

Jenifred said:
Golfmom, you checking into Mormon religion these days?

I hope Raven's got those Depends on today. He's going to need them--I'm going to need them if the information comes like this.

Jen, my faith is important to me. I can only assume that Raven and Janet being raised in the Mormon faith and married in a temple, that it was important to them as well. So, I check out what the Mormon faith considers the consequences to the murder of an innocent.

Of course if he's a faithless man ... he wouldn't be concerned about eternal consequences.

golfmom said:
I just don't understand. Raven had to know his wife was pregnant. Why didn't he tell anyone? Why has he just gone on with his life as if nothing's happened? Participating in volleyball contests, etc.

I'm flippin' blown away at his behavior ... even Scott Peterson pretended to care.
If Raven is the perp, one can only imagine what's going through his mind the last two days with the release of this information two days in a row. If he is not the perp, I hope that he knew about this pregnancy before Janet was murdered. Otherwise, I can't imagine the pain of finding out through an autopsy report.

Jenifred said:
It was CHILDREN, not just chld.

Termx referred to the murder of his wife and child and you corrected her. I'm confused ... was she carrying twins?

golfmom said:
Termx referred to the murder of his wife and child and you corrected her. I'm confused ... was she carrying twins?
I think JF meant the mother of his children, since she was pregnant, it wasn't just Kaiden anymore. Raven would have had two children.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back