828 users online (108 members and 720 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

NV - Nita Mayo, 64, Hawthorne, 8 August 2005

http://www.missingabducted.com/?cat=8

Searchers Pull Back In Search For Missing Nevada Woman-myMotherlode.com
    Friday, August 12, 2005 - 10:50 AM
    Eric Nelson
    News Director

Sonora, CA — Authorities are on the lookout for a 64-year-old woman from Hawthorne, Nevada missing since Monday.

George Ruckman of the Tuolumne County Sheriff’s department says Nita Mayo told family members that she was going through Sonora Pass to a “village” at about 10:00 Monday morning. Authorities say it is unclear what village she was talking about.

Thanks for posting this, absolut!

I have loosely been following this, and the one thing I keep thinking about is how the daughter said her mother was deathly (sorry to use this term) afraid of heights.

We have posted a comment that Cindy Mayo (daughter) posted to us on the blog. There are 2 funds set up for Tracy (daughter) and Pete (son) to continue searching for Nita (mother). Tracy is from North Dakota and Pete is from Tenn. The cost of living out of state and the expense off meals and flyers as well as search efforts are mounting.

Since they found her car that means she didn't go over a cliff in her car. I've been over that pass at night, and I can tell you it isn't for the faint of heart or anyone afraid of heights. I was petrified.

Tracy Mayo is setting up another search for Saturday. If you are in the area please lend a hand.

How horrible. Was there anything wrong with her car when it was found? Had she run out of gas or had the car broken down? If there was something wrong with the car she may have taken a ride with someone. If there was nothing wrong with the car then someone must have taken her.

Her poor family. What a nightmare for them. I hope they find their mom alive and well real soon.

From what we understand she got out to take pictures and possibly to have a picnic lunch.

This post will give those around the country a better feel for the area that law enforcement and the family are trying to cover and clear as a target spot.

Donnell’s Vista-Stanislaus National Forest

Union Democrat article with some picturesque descriptions of the area.

More details about the climbing and terrain of the Highway 108 area from SonoraPassClimbing.comThey have also put out a call to all climbers on their site for any information.

These are the areas that Pete and Tracy Mayo are spending there days traversing and looking for Nita Mayo.

When I was in my teens, our church youth group would take backpacking trips in the Sierras. There is a lot of wild, desolate country out there.

I think stores should invest more in their surveillance and hold on to tapes longer than they do. If there was a picture to put out on the wire services of the scruffy-looking man hanging out at the store, I think we might find out what happened to Nita Mayo.

It looks like Tim Miller and Texas Equu-Search is joing the search for Nita. This may lead to more promising searches based on horseback.

I live in Hawthorne...and know Nita well. She was a nurse at my Doctors office. I would love to help with the search but cant find out when they are doing them again. If anyone could help that would be great! Thanks!

This weekend they are doing massive searches with Tracy and Texas Equusearch. They are using the Holiday/extended weekend for a larger scale search.

The Tuolumne County Sheriff's Office wants to question a woman in connection with the disappearance of Nita Mayo.

Tuolumne County officials say they are interested in talking to 39-year-old Jewel Jeanne Rice of Colorado Springs, Colorado.

Mayo, a 64-year-old Hawthorne resident, was last seen when she left to go shopping near Sonora, California. Her car was later found abandoned in Tuolumne County.

Officials say Rice, who also uses the alias Atencio, was in the area at the time of Mayo's disappearance. They say Rice's car may have had mechanical problems and that it is possible she was looking for help with her vehicle.

Authorities are not calling Rice a suspect in Mayo's disappearance, only that she may be a possible witness. She is described as being a white, female, standing 5'1" tall and weighing 185 pounds. She has brown hair and hazel eyes.
    http://www.krnv.com/Global/story.asp...1&nav=8faOdxjZ
    Mugshot of POI at link
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Volunteers, including an internationally-known horseback search team, plan today and Sunday to continue the search for a Hawthorne woman missing near Sonora, Calif., since Aug. 8.

“Our meeting place will again be the Dardanelle’s Resort today and Sunday with the check-in between 8 and 9 a.m.,” Mayo said. “We’ll be searching all day. We are asking for help from anyone with horses, ATVs, jeeps, or just on foot.”
    The Dardanelle Resort is on U.S. Highway 108 near Sonora Pass, about 150 miles from Reno.
    Mayo said authorities also are trying to locate a potential witness, Jewel Rice, 31, formerly of Colorado Springs, Colo. “Ms. Rice’s U-Haul broke down and was left in the Strawberry area the same time of my Mom’s disappearance, so she may have witnessed something,” Mayo said.
    http://www.rgj.com/news/stories/html...com/news/local

Mayo's family is asking anyone camping, hiking and fishing in the Sonora Pass area to keep an eye out for anything suspicious.

Tomorrow night, a benefit concert will be held in Twain Harte to raise money and awareness to help find Mayo, a 64-year-old nurse from Hawthorne. The Silvermoon All Stars band will wear shirts with Mayo's picture on them as they perform from 6 to 8 p.m. at Eproson Park.

The Tuolumne County Sheriff's Department considers Mayo's disappearance a missing person case, but investigators have also said she possibly was the victim of a crime.
    http://www.uniondemocrat.com/news/st...story_no=18263

The family is asking for anyone with horses, ATV's, Jeeps, or people just on foot to go out and help in the search for Mayo, who has been missing for close to a month.
    http://www.mymotherlode.com/News/art...vml/1125699719
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

The Tuolumne County Sheriff's Office says the investigation into the disappearance of a Hawthorne, Nevada woman is still active and ongoing.

Lt. George Ruckman of the Sheriff's Department says investigators are following every lead in an effort to locate 64-year-old Nita Mayo who has been missing for nearly a month.

Ruckman says the sheriff's department is working closely with investigators in Nevada to turn up clues in the case.

He says the sheriff's department has gone to Mayo's house and talked with her co-workers and neighbors in Nevada.

So far the investigation has come up empty. Ruckman says a forensic examination of Mayo's car turned up "nothing unusual."
    http://www.mymotherlode.com/News/art...vml/1126116982

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast