The Doe Network:
Case File 688UFNM
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/688ufnm.html
NamUs UP 5974 https://identifyus.org/en/cases/5974

0be8dee0-b2c0-4e85-b995-d0859ff3d769.jpg
bf767246-ab18-4830-8b62-7ba9aeef4382.jpg

Reconstruction of Victim

Unidentified Native Female

The victim was discovered on January 22, 1991 in Fruitland, San Juan County, New Mexico

Condition of Remains
Estimated Date of Death: Years prior
Condition: Skeletal Remains​

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 20-40 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'4-5'7"
Clothing: Fragments of black cloth. One fragment has a spherical metal button.
Dentals: Available. Attrition evident on incisal and occlusal surfaces of all teeth.
DNA: Not available.​

Case History
The victim was located in a shallow grave in Farmington, near Power Plant Road.

While researching a Florida Jane Doe, I was looking at the Charley Project page for Carol Lynn Roberts

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/r/roberts_carol.html

Since (1) her circumstances point to a strong likelihood that she is somewhere in the Southwestern U.S., rather than Florida, and (2) she is not listed in NamUs, I figured that she might have slipped under the radar for people researching Jane Doe cases in the Southwest.

While looking at Arizona and New Mexico Jane Does, I came across this one, and was amazed by the resemblance.

0be8dee0-b2c0-4e85-b995-d0859ff3d769.jpg
241287d5-7b98-4873-9da7-647eb58cacfa.jpg

As for the other particulars, her height (5'4") is within the Jane Doe's height estimate. The timeframe (about 15 years) might fit the description of the estimated date of death ("Years Prior").

And although the Jane Doe is listed as Native American, and Carol probably would be described as Caucasian, her facial characteristics are similar enough to those of a Native American.

The one negative is that her age (18) is a bit younger than the age range given for the Jane Doe (20-40)

How do they know she was native american? Her high cheek bones.If she was skeletal remains they would not know if she was dark complected skin right? Was her hair real dark? I have american Indian in me and my sister.But we do not look american Indian.

Well,I guess she was if she was found in New Mexico.

How do they know she was native american? Her high cheek bones.If she was skeletal remains they would not know if she was dark complected skin right? Was her hair real dark? I have american Indian in me and my sister.But we do not look american Indian.

Teeth don't lie. Shovel Shaped “Indian” Teeth, I think would be a dead give away. It’s easy to determine if you have it or not, and is a good indicator of Native heritage.

1 Missing Person exclusion listed in NamUs:
MP26838 Carol Roberts 08/15/1976 Seminole FL

NamUs
Doe Network

Unidentified Person / NamUs #UP5974
Female, American Indian / Alaska Native
DD56657D-02A7-46A4-B376-89A4C9C9DA9F.jpeg 20DEB083-753F-418A-B35C-DEC6828F17D4.jpeg
Date of Discovery: January 22, 1991
Location of Discovery: Fruitland, San Juan County, New Mexico
Estimated Date of Death: 1984-1990
State of Remains: Not recognizable - Partial skeletal parts only
Estimated Age: Adult - Pre 40; 20-40 years
Height: 5'4"-5'7"
Clothing: Fragments of black cloth. One fragment has a spherical metal button.

Circumstances of Discovery: Skeletal remains found by hikers in a shallow grave in a dead end canyon, near the bottom of a steep slope in Farmington, 1/2 mile south of a pipeline road off the APS Four Corners Plant Road.

Dentals: Available. Attrition evident on incisal and occlusal surfaces of all teeth.
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA
: Not Available

Screen Shot 2022-11-26 at 2.03.32 AM.png
Christine Lester, missing from AZ, and Carol Roberts, missing from FL, have both been ruled out. As an aside, I wonder why she isn't marked as being found on tribal land - it looks like she was found on the Navajo Reservation.

I wonder whether this is a historical burial site.
She had dental attrition, yes, that happens in contemporary people sometimes but it was the norm for traditional populations who stone ground their flour and ate tougher foods than the processed foods today. Also people used their teeth as tools for leather making or sewing that caused wear. She had heavy tooth wear on all her teeth which is very very rare today.
She does not seem to have had any dental care, no fillings.
No modern synthetic clothing or shoes.
And a spherical metal button can be new or 100 years old. Likewise black cloth.

Nothing that excludes it being historical/archeological

Last edited:
I lived in San Juan County a few years back, about 45 minutes away from where this woman was found. I can confirm that the power plant is on the Navajo reservation, and based on this woman's appearance and the population of this area is almost 100% Navajo, it's a safe assumption that this woman was as well.

"Traditional" foods like stone ground corn and tough meat like mutton are still very common and readily available at just about every grocery store in the area. I agree that nothing necessarily excludes these remains from being archeological, but I'm much more inclined to think this was a modern burial. I wonder if isotope testing has been done on her teeth? That would help a lot with narrowing down the time frame where she lived.

@Caring1 Hey could you post the current list of NamUs exclusions for this Jane Doe? I would greatly appreciate it.
Christine Lester and Carol Roberts are the only exclusions to Jane Doe. Lester was found deceased in Fresno, California in 1989, but wasn't identified until this year.

Judith Fern Garcia was added to NamUs today. She went missing on December 24, 1989 from Laguna, New Mexico.

Missing Age 21 Years
Height 5' 1" - 5' 2" (61 - 62 Inches)
Weight 135 - 145 lbs
Race / Ethnicity American Indian / Alaska Native
Tribe Enrollment / Affiliation Yes
Associated Tribe(s): - Enrolled with Pueblo of Laguna

Circumstances of Disappearance She was last seen leaving the family residence by a family member.

Hair Color
Black
Left Eye Color Brown
Right Eye Color Brown

Clothing
Last seen wearing black short sleeve shirt, tan colored pants, black high-heeled boots an Levi jacket with brown or tan trimming on front pocket.

1712862845099.png 1712862853544.png

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back