1003 users online (191 members and 812 guests)  

Websleuths News

los2188 is offline North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!

NJ - Twins have different fathers, judge finds in paternity case

PATERSON, N.J. (AP) — A New Jersey judge has ruled that a set of twins has different fathers.

Passaic County Superior Court Judge Sohail Mohammad made the ruling Monday in a paternity case.

It's possible but rare for a woman to give birth to twins with different fathers. Mohammad wrote in his opinion that he found two other court cases nationally on such matters.

It can happen when the woman has sexual intercourse with two men in the same menstrual cycle, and two of her eggs are fertilized separately by each man.

The case came to light when a Passaic County woman sought child-support payments from a man she thought was the father of her daughters, who were born in January 2013.
    http://news.yahoo.com/twins-differen...193657473.html
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

"When from a long distant past nothing persists, after the people are dead, after things are broken and scattered, still alone, more persistent, more faithful, the smell and taste of things remain poised a long, long time like souls, ready to remind us, waiting, hoping for their moment amid the ruins of all the rest, and bear unfaltering in the tiny and almost impalpable drop of their essence the vast structure of recollection."

Wow, never heard of this. I assume that are not identical?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by QueenD View Post
    K rect - fraternal twins.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Clearly not. Identical twins have the same genes, so it wouldn't be possible for identical twins to have different fathers.
    Just my opinion

It is rare in humans because usually only one mature egg is released each month. This would be a much more common in some human females if the 1 egg per month rule wasn't the norm.

As a comparison, female dogs release many eggs when they become fertile; a loose dog in heat will end up with quite a colorful litter of mixed breed pups from various fathers as a result.

I wonder how many times such incidents have been documented.

I think I read that the judge said that he had found caselaw of only two other instances in a paternity/child support matter. Its actually not all THAT rare for a woman to release two eggs in ovulation But its rare that they are fertilized by different men.

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieWind View Post
    I think I read that the judge said that he had found caselaw of only two other instances in a paternity/child support matter. Its actually not all THAT rare for a woman to release two eggs in ovulation But its rare that they are fertilized by different men.
    Thanks PrairieWind -- you're right; it's in the quote in the OP (which I should have read thoroughly!).