NJ - Twins have different fathers, judge finds in paternity case

los2188

North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
Reaction score
PATERSON, N.J. (AP) — A New Jersey judge has ruled that a set of twins has different fathers.

Passaic County Superior Court Judge Sohail Mohammad made the ruling Monday in a paternity case.

It's possible but rare for a woman to give birth to twins with different fathers. Mohammad wrote in his opinion that he found two other court cases nationally on such matters.

It can happen when the woman has sexual intercourse with two men in the same menstrual cycle, and two of her eggs are fertilized separately by each man.

The case came to light when a Passaic County woman sought child-support payments from a man she thought was the father of her daughters, who were born in January 2013.
http://news.yahoo.com/twins-different-fathers-judge-finds-paternity-case-193657473.html

Wow, never heard of this. I assume that are not identical?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Clearly not. Identical twins have the same genes, so it wouldn't be possible for identical twins to have different fathers.

It is rare in humans because usually only one mature egg is released each month. This would be a much more common in some human females if the 1 egg per month rule wasn't the norm.

As a comparison, female dogs release many eggs when they become fertile; a loose dog in heat will end up with quite a colorful litter of mixed breed pups from various fathers as a result.

I wonder how many times such incidents have been documented.

I think I read that the judge said that he had found caselaw of only two other instances in a paternity/child support matter. Its actually not all THAT rare for a woman to release two eggs in ovulation But its rare that they are fertilized by different men.

I think I read that the judge said that he had found caselaw of only two other instances in a paternity/child support matter. Its actually not all THAT rare for a woman to release two eggs in ovulation But its rare that they are fertilized by different men.
Thanks PrairieWind -- you're right; it's in the quote in the OP (which I should have read thoroughly!).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back