1065 users online (217 members and 848 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortoise View Post
    I think the case sounds very strong. He thinks he's getting away with this - here's what he tweeted on 20th Feb when the trial was put back at his own legal team's request to prepare expert reports -

More delays!! When will this ever end!

https://twitter.com/EmileCilliers80
    Surprised how active he still is on twitter. And life goes on as normal, entering army rowing competitions and playing pub cricket. I think you're right, he thinks he's going to get off.

Victoria, in a message to her husband read out in court, said: 'Did you alter the gas lever into the cooker this am [sic] and there is dry blood around the lever.'
    He replied: 'That is weird. Is the stove working?'
    She then answered: 'No, I did not want to try. I've opened back door.'

Describing the 'near-fatal' jump, Mr Bowes said: 'She exited the plane without any difficulty and pulled the parachute straight away.
    'It seems she realised something wasn't right in how the parachute was deployed so she cut away the main so (as) to let the main canopy go.
    'She then pulled the release mechanism to activate the reserve parachute, she knew something was wrong with the reserve because it went into a spin. Then everything went black.'

Mr Bowes said that in messages with Miss Goller, Cilliers suggests the chief rigger Alan Westley, who previously inspected the parachute, might be to blame for the faulty parachute.
    He also discussed with Miss Goller a fake theory that Victoria had an affair with Mr Westley and could have been the 'real father' of his child.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz4uZUZl6qZ

Prosecutors said that on forensic examination, the nut revealed tool marks matching mole grips seized from a toolbox locked in the utility room

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...parachute.html

I wonder how she stopped the gas leak. Presumably the nut needed to be re-tightened, but prosecution say it didn't show signs of being tightened, only loosened. That's a bit of a mystery.

Looks like blood on the pliers too.

Good, detailed article on ITV, presumably by Rupert Evelyn. Don't think there's too much new but I can't remember seeing that it was within hours of the failed gas leak that EC suggested the parachute jump.

He said: "The prosecution case is Emile Cilliers attempted to kill her by means of a deliberate gas leak and within hours of that failed attempt, despite his complete disinterest by then to Victoria, he suggested that she might like to go parachuting the following weekend.

http://www.itv.com/news/2017-10-04/a...ts-court-told/

Mark Bayada, chief instructor within the Army Parachute Association at the airfield camp in Netheravon, who is one of the longest serving chief instructors in the country, told Winchester Crown Court today: 'She is a highly competent parachutist.

'She is a qualified accelerated freefall instructor which is the hardest qualification to obtain.
    'She is in the top per cent of competency in the country. She is absolutely brilliant as an instructor. Even while pregnant she continued doing ground basic instructing.

'She has no recorded safety incident in her profile and is top notch.'

He described Mrs Cilliers as a 'quiet, unassuming, intelligent' woman who 'just got on with it'.
    The two vital pieces of equipment missing from Mrs Cilliers' parachute would be 'impossible to have come off by mistake'.

[...]

Mr Bayada said: 'The slinks are very simple devices to allow us to connect the lines (of the parachute) to the risers (a strip of webbing joining the parachute harness to the lines) .

'Before this, it was metal links then these came out. They are much more user-friendly and much stronger than metal links and once they are on, they do not come off.'

Mr Bayada, who served as part of the Military Parachute Regiment and has completed some 5,000 jumps, said: 'It does not matter how hard you pull the slink, it actually tightens the loop around the tab because it is pulling on itself so it absolutely cannot come undone.'

He added: 'It is critical to check the slinks because if the parachute is not connected to the harness it will not save your life.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-skydiver.html

More evidence from Mr Bayada at link.

In any case it's impossible to believe two slinks would malfunction together. And if by the remotest of possibilities they did, the chances of them both disappearing completely and not being left dangling in the lines has to be nil.

I noticed they haven't said what caused the main parachute to fail.

I wonder why she didn't check the slinks - as he said it is critical to check them. Or if there is some procedure in the store room to check them before issuing them.

I get the feeling these were both hurriedly made decisions, not well planned at all. He left blood on the gas pipe - so obviously didn't wear gloves. Perhaps he thought it wouldn't matter because it would be burned in the explosion. Suggesting she check the stove to see if it worked is just plain ridiculous. Anybody in their right mind would say don't light a flame. She could have been holding the baby too. Why they haven't charged him with 3 attempted murders I don't know. Reckless endangerment to the children's lives doesn't sound sufficient for those little ones. I suppose he only put her in the plane with the damaged chute but nevertheless had the gas pipe caused an explosion he hadn't taken any measures to stop them being killed with their mum. He wasn't in the house to rescue them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tortoise View Post
    I wonder why she didn't check the slinks - as he said it is critical to check them. Or if there is some procedure in the store room to check them before issuing them.
    RSBM

I don't know how it works, but possibly it's the 'chief rigger' who is responsible for checking them.

Mr Bowes said that in messages with Miss Goller, Cilliers suggests the chief rigger Alan Westley, who previously inspected the parachute, might be to blame for the faulty parachute.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz4ueK7uuks
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
    Hopefully we get some decent reporting and it gets a bit clearer.

Today's Mail article looks like it's been updated.

Winchester Crown Court heard Mr Bayada was called by a colleague to come to the 'drop zone control room,' where a member of staff can overlook jumpers coming in to land at Netheravon.He said: 'I was told very little. The drop zone control was Justin Everitt and he indicated there had been a malfunction but his voice was gone, almost to the point of a bit of panic in his voice.

'He was not able to talk in full and tell me what happened, which is very unusual for him. I have known him a long time and never had that before.

'I knew straight away it was something out of the ordinary. He said something like 'there has been a malfunction, it is serious. Someone has been killed.''

The court heard Mr Bayada rushed out to where the parachutist had fallen with another colleague, who got to 40 year old Mrs Cilliers first and yelled 'she's not dead'.

Mr Bayada then drove back to the base to find doctors and medically-trained club members.

He added: 'She was still in situ. She was lying still when we went back to the scene. With the doctors there were enough people doing first aid that I did not feel I needed to get stuck in.

'Vicky was lying on her back and the reserve (parachute) was on the left hand side.'

The reserve parachute was only moved to shield Mrs Cilliers from debris as the air ambulance landed nearby.

Mr Bayaba said: 'While she was being treated I noticed the suspension lines on the reserve were in a tight ball.

'I noticed the reserve lines were knotted and bundled up in a fairly tight knot. The first time I saw that I knew it was strange as I had never seen that before.

'I was trying to work out what might have gone wrong because reserve parachutes just do not malfunction.

'It alarmed me when I saw the lines knotted that way.

'As Vicky was moved onto the stretcher or the stretcher was moved with Vicky on it, we had a look underneath to see nothing was getting caught and that is the first time I saw the reserve did not have anything attached to it.

'Two risers did not have attachments [slinks]. Both slinks on the same side, Vicky's right hand side, were not there.

'The effect of that is a catastrophic failure of the reserve.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz4uePJ5ylN
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
    Lots more at link.

Mr Bayada said he believed the main parachute had been sabotaged by wrapping the lines around each other within the parachute container.
    He said: "I decided in my mind I found it highly unlikely that a normal packed parachute, correctly packed or even a normal user error, would result in a malfunction with that much entanglement because we normally see a twist in lines but never that continued entanglement where all the lines are massively entangled."

He said his only innocent theory for the missing slinks from the reserve was that they had been cut off by one of the first aiders or medics but on checking he found that no-one had cut anything apart from her goggles strap.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/462054...oria-cilliers/

Mr Bayada said Mrs Cillier's main parachute was "distorted, rotated and bunched up".
    He said the parachute's lines were "massively entangled".
    It was "highly unlikely", he said, that user error "would result in a malfunction with that much entanglement".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-41515862

The court heard there is a one in 793 risk of a main parachute failing, but there has never been a case of both *parachutes failing in many millions of jumps taken each year.
    Cilliers, a sergeant in the Royal Army Physical Training Corps, is also accused of attempting to kill Victoria and *endangering the lives of their two *children by damaging a gas valve at the home they shared just a week earlier.

---

Cilliers had earlier confided to Tinder lover Stefanie Goller that he had left his wife, the court heard.
    Mr Bowes told jurors the accused lied to Stephanie about the reason – telling her his wife had got pregnant from an affair and the baby was not his.
    But when Victoria gave birth in February 2015, his lover wanted to know how she could be certain the tot was another man’s and his marriage was truly over.
    Cilliers, of Amesbury, Wilts, replied: “I promise all will be water under the bridge very soon. I don’t want anything to jeopardise us. I am not going to lose you over this, you have no idea how much you mean to me.”

---

The trial continues and is expected to last five weeks.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...chute-11288287

The court has already heard that when Mrs Cilliers was unable to jump on the Easter Saturday due to bad weather, the defendant arranged to keep her hire parachute in her locker overnight.

Mr Bayada said he could not think why someone would do this, adding: "Everyone is expected to return it to the kit store. There is no financial benefit to keeping it out."

http://news.sky.com/story/attempted-...hears-11068165

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast